Find
Notify
Tools

Stories: Vindication after mocking
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Gonzo FreakPower
posted
I wish I could share some of my own stories on this, but I can't just yet. I would like to ask if anyone might share any stories about being laughed at in camp but showing up all the wise asses with a magnificent trophy.

As an example: I'm sure someone here showed up at camp with grandpa's old 30-30 when all the rest had "beanfield" magnums. I'm sure they had a good laugh, until the old 30-30 took down the biggest trophy of the season.

Please share whatever you can. I think it will be highly instructional to the more inexperienced members like myself.

Posts: 557 | Location: Various... | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
This is not hunting...but my family (mother/father) laughs at me when I go fishing. Dads not into hunting and fishing so I had to teach myself everything, and I read every magazine I could on both subjects. Dad used to say that I was the best read fisherman. Anyway one day Mum,Dad,girlfriend and I went to look at dads new racehorse that he had bought into. On the way home we pulled up to a creek to have a BBQ, it was freezing and sleet was falling and dad set up the BBQ I grabed my rod and some celta spinners and said I was going for a walk. I got the usual snickers from my loving parents but those snickers stopped when I walk back and slapped a 4lb rainbow trout on the picnic table I caught it in ankle deep water

Posts: 8052 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Whelen Nut
posted Hide Post
Way back...before I had other rifles...I got invited to go on a deer hunt in the northwoods. All I had was a .243 so that's what I took. Well, the good ole boys in camp laughed their back sides off and insisted all I would do was wound a buck with that "varmint gun." The snickers stopped at noon opening day when I brought in one of the biggest bucks ever taken at that camp. One shot with a 105 gr Speer.

Posts: 249 | Location: Northeast WI | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Post deleted by Shadow

Posts: 439 | Location: Goldsboro, NC 27530 | Registered: 25 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Time:

1974 Opening day NY Gun season

Place: Hunting Club in upstate NY near Narrowsburg

Club members, 12 in all, went ballistic when my bud and I showed up in camp with a pair of Ruger #1's. Mine was a 1A in 270 and my buddy had a 1A in 30-06.

To a man the other club members were using Remington 760's, 742's, Browning BARs, Winchester 100's and 88's and a few Winny 94's.

Their contention, a single shot, for wood hunting, was stupid.

The score: At the close of opening day, my bud and I, two bucks, and two does (management permits). The other 12 members zero. All four kills were one shot.

The real funny thing was trying to haul four deer back home on the roof of a Datsun B210. All we could see out the windshield was hoofs and horns.

Bob

Posts: 439 | Location: Goldsboro, NC 27530 | Registered: 25 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I showed up on an elk hunt with a .243. Two days previously, my house was broken into, and the rest of my guns were stolen. Opening morning I shot a 7x7 Bull.

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a camp in VT and it's close to the town road. We were back from hunting a little early and I was stacking wood and up pulls the state cop who used to stay at the lodge down the road almost thirty years ago. He is the same: Big, loud, verbose, intimidating, bragging, showing off and in general a real ass. We go inside and he tells us how to hunt bear. He says you have to go way into the swamps. You need a Jeep Universal. Nothing else will get way back there.

This one way diatribe goes on and on. The stories are now of Paul Bunyon stature. Finally he winds down and asks if we had any luck?

Sure I say "come out and look" I open the big trunk lid on my Caprice and there is a beautiful black bear filling up the space.

Never a loss for words the jerk says "Know what to do with that? Take the meat to a game supper and trade it for some tickets?

That bear meat was some of the best game I have ever tasted. I never saw him again. To bad in a way as he was entertaining.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I own two sleeper guns. An Ishapore Enfield customized with about five minutes highly skilled labor and a hacksaw blade, and an H&R "Topper" 20 gauge single-shot, with an aftermarket silver duct-tape forearm retention device. I have some snob cousins who like to go shooting, or pheasant hunting on Thanksgiving and Christmas day, and they wince when I bring them out, usually with my commenting on the "custom, one of a kind" nature of these pieces. Of course, I shoot better with these two guns than any of the rest of those dopes with their multi-thousand dollar Italian shotguns and custom rifles. I think they don't like me very much during that time of year.

Tee-hee!

Posts: 1128 | Location: Iowa, dammit! | Registered: 09 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shadow, I'm near Narrowsburg and I hunt with a Browning 1885 in 45-70. They look at the rifle , they look at the cartridge and shake their heads but I get my deer!