one of us
posted
Has anyone tried this bullet?

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=00128J40264144

[ 11-13-2003, 02:00: Message edited by: parshal ]

Posts: 249 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 15 March 2002Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Haven't tried that one but we got some 338's, haven't tried them at the extreme ranges but they can sure kill caribou at 400 yards.

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lost River are

not very accurate ( at all)

very hard for the barrel groove

very hard to get stabilized with regular barrel pitch

that for me a very big lost of money and time

if you want a good hunting bullet better to try a Nosler a Swift or even a Hornady AMAX

good shooting

DAN TEC

Posts: 267 | Location: France | Registered: 27 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do have some experience with this particular bullet (which won't stabilize in any normal twist) and the 132gr (which will).
I figure the 144 would require about a 6 inch twist to have any chance of working at all. Then it should work as well as the 132 does in an 8 twist which is not all that well.
The main problem with these seems to be fouling so that while one can shoot a pretty good 3 shot group (around 1/2 moa in the test rifle) 5 shot groups are bigger (about 1 moa) and ten shots are laughable (around 4 or 5 moa). Perhaps moly coating would improve things a bit but I don't see the point in struggling to try and make these work when Sierras or Lapuas will work great at 1/5 the cost. Just my opinion. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3783 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote