THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    How many Hunt exclusively in there State?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How many Hunt exclusively in there State?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted
I do.Never hunted out of Idaho and never would.It's getting expensive enough to hunt here as a local and the out of Staters are paying a Premium to hunt here.

How many of you fella's just hunt your own State or spend the bucks to hunt others?

Jayco.

Posts: 565 | Location: Central Idaho | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
I mostly hunt New Mexico for now. I spent all my "extra" hunting cash on Africa.

I used to hunt rockchucks in Colorado, but now they're a game animal with a limit of two per day - that's not worth the time and money to drive up there.

I do, however, go to Texas at least once a year to chase piggies in the mesquite. I hunted hogs in California a couple times too, but nothing regular.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So far in my life, I've hunted exclusively in my home province of Ontario. However, I'd love it if something were to come together so I could do some hunting elsewhere - especially if it were for something I can't hunt here.

I've seriously considered such things as caribou in Quebec; elk, mule deer and antelope in Alberta; elk in Colorado; moose and caribou in Newfoundland; red deer in New Zealand and hogs in some of your more southerly states.

Posts: 190 | Location: Manotick, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 24 September 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I never hunt in my home state.

Posts: 8 | Location: Florida | Registered: 23 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Life is too short to only hunt your home state.

Besides, the only big game in my state is whitetails. Coyote and turkey too .... if you consider them big game.

Posts: 199 | Location: North Central Indiana | Registered: 09 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have lived in Texas for 22 years but don't hunt here much. I still travel the 1500 miles HOME to NW Wisconsin at least once & now usually twice since taking up bowhunting again because it's gotta be cold to hunt deer !
Bruce

Posts: 45 | Location: DFDubya Texas | Registered: 27 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd be glad to travel to hunt if I had the time and the money, but both of those assets are limited. I live in Missouri, which sure isn't Idaho, but white tails are practically a nuisance they're so thick. I can hunt them 3 weeks with a rifle and a couple more weeks with a muzzleloader. If that weren't enough, I'd get another bow. Archery deer season opens in mid-September and runs through New Years, with breaks for the firearms seasons.

Bottom line: I'd like to go, but I don't feel real deprived when I don't.

Posts: 142 | Location: southwest Missouri | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
The world is my pallet! However, Idaho would be a great place to live with the variety of game and terrain.

Posts: 19558 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
I do the vast majority of my hunting here in Georgia as the hunting here is so very good, though I've had some great adventures over time in other states, including Colorado (5 times), Montana (twice), South Dakota (three times), Utah, Alaska, and Louisiana. And to make things interesting, I hunt a bit in Africa, too.

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So far only in home state, CA. I'd like to hunt elsewhere too but the funds aren't available.

Posts: 134 | Location: So CA | Registered: 26 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have hunted in every state that I have lived in and and I have always considered it my duty and responsibility to hunt as many animals as possible in as many places as possible. As stated above, life is too short to restrict my hunting to any one single state or country.

Posts: 669 | Location: Alaska, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I stuck with local hunting until I found out about Montana and Wyoming. This year I am just a little short and will hunt on a resident tag instead.

Posts: 14620 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm opposite of everyone else. I don't hunt the state where I live (TN) at all. This is sure to draw some flack, but I'm not gonna pay a lease to shoot some half-sized deer. The hunting around these parts isn't that good, and the only good hunting is priced out of reason. I have never accepted the lease idea. Besides, it's too stinking hot hunting around here. Archery season comes in while it's still in the 90's...

When I moved here a while back, I never hunted more than squirrels, on a WMA, due to it being the only accessible piece of property within a reasonable distance. After hunting two years, and killing zero squirrels, I decided it was crazy to keep buying a license here.

So, I make an annual pilgrimage back HOME to PA, and hunt there. I own some property, so it's never a problem, although we have permission to hunt so many other places, for free, that it's not really an issue.

I throw in the occassional out-of-state (west) hunts now & then as well. Before anybody says anything about being contradictory to what I said earlier, I hunt public land, unguided. I don't mind spending a few bucks for a tag that might get me a NICE mulie or elk, as opposed to the skinny whitetail around here.

one of us
Picture of JLHeard
posted Hide Post
Except for one pheasant hunt in Penn., I've always hunted in Arizona. Although I did put in for Wyo. antelope, I didn't get drawn.

So it's all Arizona this year again

Posts: 580 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
I don't...Limits are self imposed.
I have a pocket full of memories... Moose in
the Newfie bogs,Wyoming elk in the Hoback,bou
on the tundra,lopes in Wyoming,Montana WT in
the Yellowstone river bottoms,moose in ANWR,
elk in The Gila before it got written up and
you could still draw a tag.And in 53 days I
chase a childhood dream....Dall Sheep!Let
the grand slam begin.My wife wants to goat
hunt next fall....Endless possibilities!

Go Now....these will be the good old days!

Posts: 2482 | Location: Alaska....At heart | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunt in Iowa where I live, but I also hunt in Wisconsin, Missouri, Pennsylvania, Texas, and Colorado, when I can. If I lived in Colorado, Wyoming, or Montana, I probably wouldn't travel anywhere else though. The pheasant and Deer hunting here is hard to beat, but I am an Elk addict as well, and the only place to shoot them in Iowa, is on a shootin' farm, and that just ain't the same.

DGK

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 3584ELK
posted Hide Post
Exclusively Colorado, although I have shot in different states. I usually take a handgun or two on extended business trips and find an indoor range to get through those boring weekends.

Posts: 597 | Location: Lake Andes, SD | Registered: 15 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jaycocreek, I do. As a matter of fact until 9 years ago I hunted exclusively on my own property and those farms that border it. Then a few houses were built closeby and I don't feel safe slinging lead at big game any more. So now I travel to the state gamelands near the NY border where it's still fairly rustic. However all that will change in 7 weeks when I head to Namibia for plains game. But after that safari I'll probably go back to hunting Pennsy alone. We're blessed with an abundant amount and variety of all sorts of wild game. Whitetailed deer have become a downright nuisance. I've actually heard talk of changing their status to varmint!! But that's from general farm folk, not the state game commision.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunted only 2 days in my home state of Texas last year (Ducks). With all my travel and the lack of close accessible land I have found it cheaper to have a few good hunts in other states than to get involved in an expensive lease. I also get the variety I want, I still hunt deer but not like I used to as I have other species that I want that take priority these days.

Doug

Posts: 696 | Location: Texas, Wash, DC | Registered: 24 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of holzauge
posted Hide Post
Virginia needs all of her sons killing whitetail. I 'd make an exception in theory but in practice I know the place, I've got permission to hunt places there, I'd rather spend my time hunting that traveling, and Virginia really is plagued with the things.

When I've made the same connections in Pennsyltucky and the People's Republic of MD I'll try to help there too.

Posts: 621 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: 06 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I only hunt in Oregon, based on the time to go elsewhere and I do have a problem with states having high hunting fees for out of staters.

Oregon has them also, although not as bad as surrounding states. Still I think it is ridiculous.

Too many Fish & Game people seemed to be former employees of the state's lottery commission because they want everyone to have a lottery drawing and then pay extra money for each drawing one top of it.

They claim they use the money to enhance wild life habitat, but all I see in Oregon is Fish & Game Mucky Mucks driving around in expensive SUVs, that get lousy gas mileage, getting more salary than they are worth ( the upper level management guys) and it always seems that their chronies are the ones that never fail to draw a controled tag.

Then they money that they do spend on wildlife habitat is spending money on Saving the Cougars, Re introducing Wolves, and closing half the state down so they we can Save the Spotted Owls.

But why should Fish & Game be any different than the rest of government. The whole name of the game is Revenue Generation, so they can spend more and more and still tell the public how much in deficit that they constantly are.

There is not a state I have ever lived in that they don't need to scrap the state version of Fish & Game or DNR and hire people who know what they are doing, and realize that they need about 10% of the people they currently have, and those people don't need a $40,000 new vehicle every other year, that gets 5 mpg that they just abuse anyway, because it is not theirs.

Cheers, Good shooting & screw the government!!!!!!
seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
I from oregon but haven't hunted there in the last two years cause the Army has had other plans for me didn't get to hunt at all last year. This year I wasn't able to put in for Oregon tags cause I will be back east going to School for two months But I did put in for Arizona deer tag here on Fort Huachuca.

Posts: 2501 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of holzauge
posted Hide Post
I spent a summer at Huachuca in 1972. It looked like Mars to me.

Posts: 621 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: 06 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I live in OK, but hunt in Wyoming and Texas. Just prefer the critters and the seasons.

Posts: 10371 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One mule deer hunt in Montana. Other than that I've always hunted in Oregon.

Gary T.

Posts: 112 | Location: Eugene, Oregon | Registered: 23 March 2004Reply With Quote