Find
Notify
Tools

Speer Grand Slams?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted
Does anyone have any experience with these bullets on big game? Especially in 338 caliber.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have used the 338 250 gr GS on Kudu and other plains game, and would use them again in a second.

They shot well on paper, and did a great job on game. Never recovered any bullets, as they all passed thru.

This past season I used the 225 Gr GS on Blue Wildebeest and Red Hartebeest, and recovered the bullet in each case. Both were perfect mushrooms, and the animals dropped at the shot.

I plan on using them again next trip.

[ 10-21-2002, 15:36: Message edited by: Terry Blauwkamp ]

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
I used a 180 .30 cal Grand Slam once on elk. I was pushingit at 3050 fps from my .300 Mag. The elk was getting ready to top out over the opposite side of the canyon so the only shot I had was spine. I shot him between the shoulder blades and he dropped, twitched once and was still. However, the post mortem showed that the bullet disintegrated when it hit the spine. I found miniscule lead particles everywhere!!! The spine was destroyed, which in turn took out the heart and lungs. Maybe another bullet might have also come apart, but I feel better using Nosler Partitions. They were accurate in my rifle, however.

bowhuntr [Wink]

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Always thought they were real fine bullets just hadn't had much experience with them. This year I shot an elk at 200 yards with 225gr. from a 338 RUM @ 3040fps. Hit square on second rib from front immediately behind shoulder. Bullet totally disintigrated and did minor damage to just one lung. Not even any frags found. Second shot was a lower spine shot with the animal facing away-shooting about 20 degrees downward. Bullet entered right along side the spine, clipped one of of tenderloin made it to the liver and disintigrated. No frags found. So, no more Grand Slams for me--At the higher speed they seem to come apart pretty drastically. I will be sticking with Noslers.

Posts: 7 | Location: Trout Lake, Wa. At the Base of Mt. Adams, Sasquatch Country :-) | Registered: 18 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Thanks Forrest. This is exactly the type data I am looking for. It appears that Speer needs to do more R&D.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shot an interior grizzly last month using 180gr Grandslams loaded to 3100fps from my .300 Win mag. Hit the bear 4 times at 82 yards, full broadside shoulder and lungs penetration. Partner could see the splash of every bullet in the gravel behind the bear, bullets held together, and found no fragments, bone,muscle, and a lot of fat, picture perfect wound channels, and exit wounds were about quarter sized.

Posts: 148 | Location: Currently located in Southern New Mexico | Registered: 26 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Used a .270 130 grain Grand Slam on a Wyoming mule deer once. Shot hit the shoulders at 60 yards and completely came apart on the first shoulder, not enough of it left to do any good on the far side shoulder. One bad experience was enough for me.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

I have shot a lot of grand slams at paper with my 7mm Rem Mag, and I have yet to find a load that shoots them well. I have tried all of the normal 7 Mag powders (IMR 7828, Reloader 22, H870, etc..), and I just can't find a good load. I know it's not the rifle, because with Noslers, Hornady, or Rhino Bullets, it shoots 1/2 MOA regularly.

I have only one animal with it, and that was a springbok with the 175 Grand Slam at a muzzle velocity of approximately 2950 fps. It entered the front of the neck at the base of the neck at 305 yards. The bullet came apart in there like a ballistic tip.

No more Speer GS for me. I'll stick with Nosler Partitions. They have always worked properly for me.

Joel Slate
Slate & Associates, LLC
www.slatesafaris.com

7mm Rem Mag Page www.slatesafaris.com/7mm.htm

Posts: 643 | Location: DeRidder, Louisiana USA | Registered: 12 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
I myself have never had any Speer bullet other than .416 Mag Tips hold together an just about anything, big or small. I had good accuracy with them but as far as hunting goes they only get used for varment shooting where they do a great job especially at closer ranges.

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My hunting partner just shot a moose with 180g Grand slams. 1 shot to the neck bone about a foot below the skull. The bullet retained about 25% but killed the bull. I shot mine. Went in at the base of neck and came out behind the ribs before the rear quarters.That was 165 G.S. grain @ 3230 fps. I think it was a little lite though for moose.

Posts: 94 | Location: Otisville, MI USA | Registered: 07 January 2002Reply With Quote