Find
Notify
Tools

Curt Gowdy passes
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted
Curt Gowdy passed away today, even though he did all sports I will always remember him from the American Sportsman Show. To this day one of the best hunting shows ever produced.

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2013 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jerry,
Did the notice say how old he was?
Ditto on the AMERICAN SPORTSMAN
Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He was 86.

American Sportsman had to be one of the best!!

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
I think I read where he was 86 and suffered from lukemia. Did he not have a son who was doing an outdoor TV series?? Thought I had seen that some few years ago, but lost track.
driver

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sad day indeed. Frowner

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I never missed the early years of the American Sportsman. They went soft near the end of the run. Gowdy was very good. I can't stomach the Dick Vitale's of the world.

Posts: 13873 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
This is a sad passing of a giant of a sportsman. I for one remember well an episode of quail hunting between Mr Gowdy and coach Bear Bryant. The quality of the dogs and the attention to tradition were a sight to behold. Similiar were some episodes with other notables of the day. Though sadly the bow hunt for Alaskan Brown bear with the young William (I turned and run for political reasons) Shatner reminds me of other things. Well I guess in the finest Irish traditions I'll be forced to raise my glass this evening to the memories of better times.
cheers

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In addition to The American Sportsman Gowdy was a truely great sportscaster. Baseball was his forte but he did it all. He was able to describe a game in a way that made you feel like you were there without trying to make it about himself as so many of today's screaming, blathering announcers seem compelled to do. He was a first class gentleman and his loss is ours.

Jeff

In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is king.

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very sorry to see him go. I am sure he is hunting and fishing in green pastures of plenty.
With the Olympics is full swing we must also remember his Agony and Ecstasy broadcasting which concentrated on the glory of the athletes and sport.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always enjoyed his shows. Until I read his obit in the NY Times today, I had no idea that he was born and raised in Wyoming - but I should have realized that he came from a hunting and fishing heritage. He had the easy, relaxed manner of the Westerner (unlike many of us uptight Easterners) Smiler We don't have many of his kind around in public broadcasting today. I read his obit with regret. May he rest in peace.

Posts: 800 | Location: NY | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
...I will always remember him from the American Sportsman Show. To this day one of the best hunting shows ever produced.

Because it was real. Not today's hyped up, high tech, full of advertising, self promoting, sponsor paid, gimmicky, commercial, crap.

One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
i aslo grew up watching "the american sportsman" with my Dad. Many good times watching it when we were not out hunting ourselves.

When I was young I remember seeing a couple of episodes with Bing Crosby that I really enjoyed. I think He was with Phil Harris. I don't know why but those episodes have stuck with me. I can't say that about newer, shows. Those old shows were about people and the Hunt, not the kill. You felt as if you got to know the guests on the show just a little, enough to know if you would really like to hunt or fish with them.

I know I always wanted and would have loved to fly fish with Curt Gowdy.

Why can't these shows be on the air again?? sell them as DVDs, something!

By the way - Trev Gowdy hosts "In Search of The One" on OLN.

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is sad indeed. I do not recall his work with baseball but I remember him doing the NFL games with NBC in the 70s with John Brodie and before him with Al Diregotis. What a great announcer.

I too remember his American Outdoors show on Sunday afternoons.

Posts: 48 | Location: Parma, Italy | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote