THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Mapping Software - recomendations needed

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mapping Software - recomendations needed
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted
Hello everyone!

I need recomendations for good mapping software.

I'm beginning to plan a hunt in the area around Nezperce, ID, for 2011 or 2012; it will be DIY for elk, and maybe mulies.

I will have access to private ground, but don't have a lot of specifics quite yet.

A second question, does anyone have some general tips I should keep in mind for rifle hunting in this area? It will be my 2nd elk hunt (first did not shoot, but had a nice bull right up close, northeast of Jackson, WY), and am a total neophyte when it comes to elk hunting.

I have hunted whitetail extensively, and shot a moose on a guided (read: the only work I did was to hike and shoot!) trip last year.

I will be hunting with one or two good friends who are experienced hunters/outdoorsmen. I myself have spent significant time in Colorado at elevation backpacking, so for that part of it I'm quite confident.

Thanks for the suggestions! As I said, I'm a complete neophyte at elk, and welcome the help.

friar

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to know of some mapping software that was fairly cheap or almost free, but can't seem to find it.

I would start with USGS topo maps. USGS TOPO

Of course Map Source is a good, easy to use program if you have a GPS. You can get the one loaded with topo stuff.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
You can toggle between topo and B&W aerial with this software:

http://terraserver-usa.com/advfind.aspx?panel=Place

Two meter resolution typically, aerials could be dated information.

And topo and possibly good color aerial with:
Google mapping:

http://maps.google.com/maps

Just type search location in the box on the top of the web page and refine your search as required. Quality/resolution will vary depending on who wanted data and paid to have it worked up.

Sometimes the county tax office has some great mapping and aerial photography available on their web site

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4243 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
Thanks fellas! I'll be checking into these.

Good luck this year,

friar

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote