New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kansas Mutant Head
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just got back from 11 days hunting the wiley whitetail buck, had some bad luck with one of my rifles on the return trip, but we had some great memories to keep nonetheless. I'll get to the details later, but had to share this pic of the buck that one of my best friends--Ronnie-- took, it green scored 224 3/8 B&C Non-Typical--SWEEEEEEET!

Here is pic of me and Ronnie--

KANSAS MUTANT HEAD

Next is a pic of my 'regular model' buck, a decent ten, but actually wasn't the one I thought I was shooting, he switched postion with the shooter before popping out from behind a cedar, so this guy took the heat at 329 yards, and the bigger one ran off the other direction.

Obviously my partners deer was the highlight of the trip, I've seen a lot of non-typicals that I frankly thought were ugly, but I really thought the 'Mutant Head' was beautiful. Really cold and windy in Kansas, but we're already counting the days to next years trip.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Nice bucks, congratulations!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
congrats to you and your bud, he got a stud of a buck---chris

Posts: 294 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: 29 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fish,

Congratulations. You keep turning out some excellent bucks on your Kansas trips!

Hugh

Posts: 435 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, great buck!
I keep thinking I should plan a Kansas hunt in the near future.

Dave

Posts: 87 | Location: High Above the Timberline | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post

another 2006 KS deer

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, Ronnie's buck is for sure a stud! What we've found in Kansas is that what is an 'B' caliber buck in Kansas, is an 'A' caliber buck most other places. They have the right combo of genetics, agriculture, and populations and mix (buck/doe ratio) to have some consistently big boys running around. I think the same thing is probably true a lot of other places, but for old school self hunting, we like our Kansas friends and hunting oppurtunities.

HOLY COW Fury, I just saw your post, that is simply awesome. Do you have any idea what that beast scores, or at least what kind of base measurements? It is HUGE! Thanks for sharing the pic.

Regards--Don

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
word is 277 green. Friend of a friend info kind of thing.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
With the shed in the picture, they must have been huntin g him a while.

one of us
posted Hide Post
That is too cool Fury. What an impressive deer!

It is neat to be able to know one like that is around, and then find him on the hunt.

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
A New Legend Emerges
December 6, 2006
Newly trained Official Measurer Gerald Rightmyer was hunting in Morris County, Kansas this fall when he crossed paths with a buck that nearly defies description. The incredible mass, unique droptines, and great beams make this buck almost mythical.
Unofficial green score on this tremendous deer is 285-3/8 gross and 269-1/8 net. Should that score hold anywhere close, it would become the second-largest deer in Kansas history. The state record, taken by Joseph H. Waters in Shawnee County in 1987, scores 280-4/8 points.
Congratulations, Gerry, on a truly fantastic Boone & Crockett trophy!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Fury, that would have to be incredible! I hope to see a photo sometime.

Thanks for the info.

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Sorry for not being more clear. This is the description of the buck I pasted before on your post. It is on the Boone and Crocket site now.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well Fury, we know that it is incredible! Bucks with that amount of bone on their head are so rare, they are just amazing. Thanks for the follow up post.

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I'm very jealous. cheers

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns