THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    300 Win Mag - Elk Bullet - 200 gr Sierra BTSP??

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 Win Mag - Elk Bullet - 200 gr Sierra BTSP??
 Login/Join

<Caveman>
posted
Hey guys, I'm going Elk hunting again this year. Same place as last year, the shots can be very far. 300+ yards. I usually shoot 180 grainers out of my 300, but these 200 gr Sierra Boat tails sure shoot good out of my gun. 2-3" groups at 300 yards. I know a lot of you guys are not fond of Sierras for Elk, but with this 200 gr bullet shooting a little slower than the 180's, combined with the distances we are shooting, would this be a good combo? My wifes uncle, that I hunt with, swears by them.

Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Corey,
My wife's uncle shoots the 180gr. Speer Grand Slam out of his 300 Weatherby and absolutely will not shoot anything else. Where we hunt in SW Colorado the shots can be long and he has made many shots well over 300yds. with that combo. If you are set on a 200gr. bullet you may want to give the 200gr. Grand Slam a try as well. I have had very good luck with the plain jane 180gr. Hornady SP out of my 300 win. mag. I sold that gun to my hunting buddy last year and he took a very nice cow elk with it. Not 300yds, but it did the job with one shot. It all boils down to shooting the bullet your gun likes and you have confidence in. If it goes into the boiler room, it will do just fine. These guys that swear by the Nosler Partitions,Win. Fail Safes and the biggest waste of money I have ever seen, the Barnes X, crack me up. I have killed or have seen killed plenty of elk, deer and antelope to know that placement is everything! I have a friend that works for a major gun and ammo manufacturer back east and he said they load the premium bullets because people buy the hype.
Enough of my ranting. If you like the Sierra, use it!
Good luck,
Elk Country

Posts: 180 | Location: Northern Colorado, USA | Registered: 26 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Corey Most of the time if you are shooting Elk at a distance the shots are broadside or nearly so, the Sierra 200gr. will work fine.... but a little hint... work up a load with a 200gr. Nolser Partition, or maybe a Failsafe that hits where the crosshairs look out to 100 yds. and use that load if you hunt in some thick stuff, in case you have to make a shot at at the south end of a north bound elk. [Big Grin]

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
<memtb>
posted
Corey; I would reccomend against it. All jacketed boattail bullets are more prone to shed their jackets, than an equally (internally) designed flatbase (it's just the way things are). And. generally speaking, Sierra's are about the worst of the lot! "Flaming can now commence"
Go to a premium bullet ( Barnes X, Win. Failsafe, Swift A Frame, ect.), and drop one bullet weight, and never regret your decision.
I realize that this was not a popular statement to a lot of folks and I meant to offend no one. I am merely trying to give what I percieve as the best advice for a quality elk bullet. Many people may get only one opportunity to hunt an elk,the best bullets are cheap insurance. JMHO -memtb

one of us
posted Hide Post
I helped skin an elk shot with the Federal factory load using that bullet and it penetrated a lot of elk and ended up under the hide looking picture perfect. It hit no major bones but I don't like to hit the bones anyway, thats where the meat is! The bullet hit at the last ribs on one side and ended up under the hide in front of the shoulder. This was a one shot kill.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used the 300gr Sierra BTSP's in my .375 H&H with very good results on elk. Of course the muzzle velocity compard to a .300 mag is 400 fps less too. My main reason for using them is that they are very accurate in my rifle and my shots can run 100+-300 yds very easily, all open country hunting.

I've killed several bulls and have recovered maybe six bullets. Half had shed their jackets, the other half stayed together. A few bullets were lost altogether due to penetrating through the bulls. One thing in common though to all the bullets........they were removed from VERY DEAD elk. All died in short order, even those at 300+ yds. I surely like my premiums, I consider them cheap insurance. But I DO have faith in the Sierra BTSP's . PLACEMENT is 95% of the battle as long as the caliber and bullet weight are adequate for the game hunted.

FN

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think it would be a great combo. I've had and seen good results with the Sierra's. I had some 250 Sierra's loaded for my 338 a few years ago. A friend was going brown bear hunting with another friend who is a bowhunting die hard. At the last minute friend #1 decided to take a rifle along. Since his only working rifle was a 308 he borrowed my 338 and took the Sierras. He shot a 9 1/2+ bear, the bullet was a perfect mushroom. Only weight 167 grains but was taken from a very dead bear.

I've shot a number of animals, granted smaller than elk, with 215 Sierra's in my 338 and they always resulted in a dead animal. With your gun shooting them that good I'd go with them. Accuracy and confidence in your shooting are more important than the bullet (as long as the bullet is a hunting bullet).

I've said this before...I don't agree with the attitude of shooting at all angles and up the ass at animals running away. A good huntewr waits for the right shot or passes. Was it Outdoor
Life that had the "shoot or don't shoot" scenarios. I guess they would all be shoot in todays premium world.

Posts: 178 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 07 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Corey,

Yes a Sierra 200 grain Game King will kill an elk very dead. And yes bullet placement is everything. However, nine out of ten hunters cannot place their bullets within 12" @ 300 yards. Conventional core bullets like Sierra, Nosler BT's, Hornaday's, Speer's can and due fail, not at 300 yds but at 30 or 40 yds in brush, when large heavy game pops up unexpected, like elk in dark timber.

Try reading Bob Hagel's book, "Game Loads and Practical Ballistics for the American Hunter". He was a professional elk guide, who tested and used many of the same bullets were are discussing today. The realities of his advice on game bullets for elk is very sobering.

In short, use want you like and feel comfortable with. But remember, premium bullets are like life preservers, you may never need them, but when you do, you need them bad.

Bob

Posts: 439 | Location: Goldsboro, NC 27530 | Registered: 25 July 2000Reply With Quote
<phurley>
posted
Corey -- I also use a Sierra Gameking bullet to fireform my .358 STA brass. I get excellent groups with the bullet and a good feeling everytime I shoot them. I am sure you get this same feeling when you see a good group, we all have a desire to go with that most accurate bullet. When I hunt the larger animals I use a North Fork bullet because they are just as accurate and a lot tougher. When I test the Gameking in my simulated Elk body, I get pulvarized lead mush that I may or may not find a piece large enough to give any penetration. When I test the North Fork I get a perfectly mushroomed front from the bonded core point, and a solid rear shank that will give complete penetration. Granted that in my test box I have a large Buffalo bone to simulate the shoulder bone of a large Bull Elk, that if you get a lung shot you wouldn't hit. On deer sized game use any bullet you want, but when you go to Elk sized game, you are much better off with a truly tough bullet. The Partitions, Barnes, Swift A-frames, or North Forks will give you that. That trophy of a lifetime comes very few times in a hunters life, be ready. Good shooting. [Wink]

[ 08-13-2002, 17:12: Message edited by: phurley ]

posted Hide Post
I guess I have "bought the hype" because I won't use any conventional bullets on an elk. Been there, done that and the performance was just not reliable enough. The price of a box or two of bullets is cheap compared to the cost of the trip so why skimp on the single most important part of your equipment?
You mentioned that shots CAN be very long, what if your shot is at 50yds? Will that bullet hold together at that range if you have to break a shoulder? As mentioned earlier, a chance at a true trophy elk doesn't come often so do yourself and the elk a favor and shoot something that will make it to the vitals from any angle and from any range.

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Ranger Dave>
posted
I've never shot an elk but have taken many moose. Sierra 200 grain will kill big game. At long ranges the bullet slows down and el'cheapo are ment to work at slower speeds. Thus they work. Smoke an animal with a 150 grain Sierra at 12 yards and I'm sure the bullet would lose 1/2 its weight if not more.

I've killed moose cleanly with Win PP's and CR's from my 30-06.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used Nosler Partitions on everything up to and including Elk. I have never had one fail on any game under any circumstances period. Will some other bullets do as well? Probably. Will I shoot 'em. Why? I don't think premium bullets are hype at all but I also don't think they become really necessary until you get to Elk size animals. Cost should not be the determining factor. If anyone is considering an Elk hunt and the cost of a box of premium bullets is in any way a serious factor then friend you can't afford to go Elk hunting.

Posts: 400 | Location: Murfreesboro,TN,USA | Registered: 16 January 2002Reply With Quote
<Caveman>
posted
Thank you everyone for your help. I think some of you guys have misunderstood me. The COST of the bullets is not an issue. I can afford to shoot Partitions, X, etc. It is the fact that these 200 gr Sierras shoot so well out of my rifle. I have gained a lot of confidence with them. I guess I should have said, the shots ARE very far...300 + yards where we hunt. I have put together some fantastic groups with this load at the 300 yard range.

My question is: At these distances, shouldn't the larger and slower 200 grain Sierra be a good choice on Elk, considering how well they shoot?

posted Hide Post
Have you tried any of the premiums at the range? If so, how do they shoot compared to the Sierras? To answer your question, I'd think the Sierra will manage okay if the shot is taken from very long range, but can you absolutely guarantee yourself that it won't come at spittin' distance?

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good Lord - a 200 gr 30 calib bullet at close to 3000 fps - heck yea it will kill an elk. If it blows up at close range its inards will fall out the hole will be so big. Sierra is a big time bullet company - been around forever - they do a good deal of product development and testing. If they failed to deliver its over. They kill these things with bow and arrows.

Posts: 363 | Location: Madison Alabama | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Corey,
To answer your last question...Yes, they will be just fine. The 200gr. bullets carry their energy very well out to long range (over 300yds.)and some people say that it is the ideal weight for the 30 cal. magnums. Your last post said you have alot of confidence in them and they shoot very well in your rifle. You can't ask for much more than that! Shoot the Sierra's, put it in the heart lung area and enjoy the meat over the winter.
Elk Country

Posts: 180 | Location: Northern Colorado, USA | Registered: 26 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
WoW!!!
I never knew how bad "standard" bullets performed untill I started surfing the 'net! [Razz]
I had some Speer Hot Cores that I used on deer out of an '06 years ago that I felt didn't do well enough and I switched to Sierras. I have loaded 250gr. Gamekings in my .338 WM, 140grGK in a 7mmRM, and many different weights in the '06, .257, and .224 calibers.
The bottom line is YOU the hunter! IF YOU get a close shot, YOU know what the bullet will do at muzzle velocity. So YOU need to place the bullet accordingly.
I don't get the break the shoulder school of thought. Nor do I consider the Texas Heart Shot a good shot, sometimes it's best NOT to try to "put one in him". If it won't die immediatly after the shot it was a poor shot. I haven't had a reason to believe that anything other than a bullet in the heart/ lung area was worth messing with. The bullets manufactured today work well and although I have purchased "premiums" in the past I really can't say I have ever shot an animal with one that wouldn't have been just as dead with a lowly "standard" constructed bullet. In fact my most recent bullet purchases were a box of Nosler Ballistic Tips, 200gr., .338 cal, and various weights and cal from MidSouth of the Hornady SST's. Why? Because of the test results! I don't believe a small hole and over penatration kill better than turning the lungs and heart to soup! Espescially when the bullet generally does exit AFTER causing mass tissue damage.
I shot a decent Mulie in Idaho last year with 140gr. Sierra GK's quartering away slightly and got complete penetration. That tells me that bullet holds up to real life use well enough! [Big Grin]

( 7mm RM, Rem brass, WLRM primers, 67.3gr of RL19) Not exactly a whimpy load!

To get back to the question, YES the 200gr Sierra will work fine as long as it hits where it should.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Corey, I apologize for not addressing your question more directly. Of course your 200gr Sierra will kill an Elk. They aren't bullet proof after all. Given the costs and effort involved in Elk hunting I would suggest a premium bullet like the Partition as extra insurance is all. I try to plan for the worst possible shot not the best or "typical" shot. My experience is that I never get that perfect picture book angle and the distance can be real close to way out there. I want a bullet that can get the job done over a wide spectrum of conditions and I don't have that kind of confidence in your Sierra. When you finally sight that massive 6x6 bull standing on the lip of a timber chocked canyon that will take you the rest of your life to get him out of if you flub the shot, just be sure you REALLY have confidence in the bullet you are using whatever it is. My Elk rifle of choice is a .338 using 225gr Partitions. Good luck and good hunting!!!

Posts: 400 | Location: Murfreesboro,TN,USA | Registered: 16 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
I'm quite certain the 200 gr. Sierra will kill elk! My sometime elk hunting partner has used the same 7mm RM since 1970 and has killed countless elk with that rifle and 140 or 160 gr. Speers. He'd never consider buying a box of Nosler's.

Me, I like the Partition... it's a 1% bullet. By that I mean the "standard" bullet's are probably fine 99% of the time. It's that 1% of the time that Murphy likes and for which I plan! This year instead of my 338 WM I'll be using the 300 WSM. I chopped the bbl. to 22" and get 2,900(+) with 180's... I'm pretty sure I'll either use the 180 Failsafe or Partition or perhaps the 200 Partition loaded at 2,800 fps.

Regardless, for the possibility of a "raking" shot, etc., I like the premiums. For deer, except in the smaller calibers (244-257) I use "standard" bullets.

BA

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
blasted double post...

[ 08-15-2002, 21:38: Message edited by: Brad ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 200gr Sierra SBT works great in the .300 Mags. I've used it in Africa out of a .300 WSM at 2870 fps. Kills plainsgame very well from 40 yards to 300 yards, and 80 pound Impala to 600 pound Wildebeest. Expands to .68, retains 65% of its weight, penetrates 23".

What more do you want? You have to hit the animal in a vital spot to cleanly kill him. I like the bullet because it is the most accurate and consistent in my rifle, with more than adequate terminal performance.

If you'd like to take rear-end raking shots, load up some Barnes-X or Failsafe and be prepared for a long follow-up.

Posts: 380 | Location: America the Beautiful | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you'd like to take rear-end raking shots, load up some Barnes-X or Failsafe and be prepared for a long follow-up.
How do you know this is true? What EXPERIENCE do you base this on? Do you consider fifty yards "a long follow-up?"

I'm curious...

<Rogue 6>
posted
Nov of 99 I nail my largest bodied bull. A monster 5x6 Roosevelt. I was shooting 180 grain Sierra Gamekings in my 300 Win Mag at a little over 3100 fps. The shot was a little over 100 yards through the lungs and out the off side shoulder. I got better penatration than the same load on smaller elk with partitions. TRUE STORY. Now I load 190 Hornady BTSP in my 300 Win around 3000 fps. If I had to take a finishing shot stem to stern I wouldn't think twice, I'd just send it.
Use your Sierra's and go kill a nice bull close range at steep angle and send some bragging pictures. Now Ballistic Tips do make the Sierra's and Hornady's look like A-Frames. I don't have the nerve to use Ballistic Tips on Elk.

<JimF>
posted
Caveman:

FWIW, the folks at Sierra have been making bullets for a long time and I think they have a pretty good idea of how to do it. I am pretty sure that they take the heaviest bullets in each caliber and build them tougher. For example, the 200 gr. 308, 175 gr. 7mm etc. have a thicker jacket and I think a tougher core than the lighter bullets in those calibers.

I have taken Elk with several 30 cal bullets (30-06 & 300 wby) all in 180 gr. (And one 160 gr. 7mm Sierra) It did not matter whether it was a Hornady, Speer G.S. or a Partition, the result was a one shot, dead elk.

I do not and will not take a "Texas Heart Shot" but that is a matter of personal ethics. If you are willing to take risky shots, then a super penetrator may be a better choice. If not, standard bullets in the heavier weights per caliber will do just fine.

Yikes!!! was that a rock that just flew past my head??? [Big Grin]

JimF

<JOHAN>
posted
well
A sierra bullet will work on bradside shoots some will claim, no doubt. But I would bet my cents on a better bullet and be able to bag that elk even if it's not a perfect position.

N E 450 No2 gave you a hint about bullets for this kind of hunting and it wasn't Matchkings [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

My recommendation is to spend some money on bullets that will bring the elk home [Wink]

Cheers
/ JOHAN

<allen day>
posted
I have learned one thing over the last thrity years when it comes to elk hunting:

Premium bullets are worth their weight in gold for hunting elk under all circumstances, and the "tin foil" bullets should be left at home. Sierra bullets might be accurate, but they don't have what it takes to be ideal elk bullets under all circumstances. I want a bullet that will stand up to any elk situation I might encounter, and bullets such as the Nosler Partition, Trophy Bonded, Swift A-Frame, and Winchester Fail-Safe form the core of the best elk bullets you can possibly select. Sierra bullets don't make my list, and if you've ever seen the sort of fiasco you can be forced to contend with via a Sierra that didn't get inside, but blew up prematurely instead, they won't make your list either.

NOBODY is advocating indiscriminate shot selection (ass-shooting bulls at 500 yards, etc.), or other atrocious hunting proceedures. What Brad would concur with, as I do, is good shot selection under what may well be less-than-ideal circumstances (passing opportunities may be appropriate) with a bullet that can get the job done under the toughest feasible circumstance. Based on what I've seen, Sierra is not a true big game bullet. It's a good paper-puncher's bullet, and a good deer bullet (most of the time!), but it's no elk/moose/big bear bullet.

AD

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Here we go again.
Caveman has stated the typical shot is about 300yards. His gun, with him on the trigger, shoots 2-3" groups. With this info matched to the bullet he is asking about, it will definately work! If his shot placement is into the part of the animal thats mushy, wet, and sticky he will be taking pictures.
I don't agree with taking shots at any angle for any reason. I passed up a shot at the biggest Elk I've seen. Not because I didn't think the bullet wouldn't get to the vitals but because it would have been a risky shot at a trotting animal through the trees. Pulling the trigger is ALWAYS a choice, and if you shoot well, the bullet coming out of the bore isn't as much of an issue as where it hits the animal. If people are taking Elk with a puny .270 Win and 130gr. standard bullets then how is the .300WM and 200gr. bullets not enough medicine?

I'm not going to pretend to be a ballistics expert or some "been there done that" know it all who will argue about every opinion. I don't think the Partitions are bad ( or Swift's), in fact they have proven themselves. BUT!, they are not a solution to poor shooting and won't be the difference in success or failure unless you take shots you should have passed up.
A 200gr. .308 cal at .300WM velocity will hold together. If this question had been about a 150gr GameKing I would make an entirely different call. Velocity has everything to do with terminal performance.

How does the velocity of a 180gr 30-06 compare to a .300 Win Mag shooting 200gr. bullets? The '06 shooting 180's is often touted as the "do anything load". I don't mind offering the "buy premiums" advice, but saying the other bullets are not game bullets and shouldn't be used isn't exactly practacle advice. Not when they have proven to be effective in the parameters they were designed for.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by allen day:
Sierra bullets might be accurate, but they don't have what it takes to be ideal elk bullets under all circumstances.... Based on what I've seen, Sierra is not a true big game bullet. It's a good paper-puncher's bullet, and a good deer bullet (most of the time!), but it's no elk/moose/big bear bullet.
AD

OK. I guess it's only an Eland (1220 lbs) and Blu Wildebeest (500 lbs) bullet.

-  -  -  -

[ 10-03-2003, 04:24: Message edited by: KuduKing ]

Posts: 380 | Location: America the Beautiful | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JLHeard
posted Hide Post
Admittedly I don't have the big game experience of others, but when I read these threads, the same questions always pop into my head.

Why?

The question shouldn't be if a bullet will work, but is there a bullet that will work better. Most people say the GK will work. But will a Partition or Failsafe work better?

If your answer is yes, then, to my way of thinking, you owe it to yourself and the animal your shooting to use the best bullet you can. If your going to spend $1000 or more on a rifle, $2000 on equipment and $3000 for the high country elk hunt of a lifetime, doesn't it make sense to use the best bullet that will shoot in your gun? Does the few dollars you save not buying premium bullets make up for the chance your bullet will fail on that once-in-a-lifetime shot? (knowing all bullets can fail). Dunno, it never made sense to me.

BTW, I found my .300H&H loves 200 grn Partitions and I wont shoot anything else in it.

*shrug*

Posts: 580 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I fail to see how shot placement even became an issue in this thread. I would assume it as a given.

Here's something interesting (perhaps) from Midway's April catalog:

.30cal 200gr Sierra SPTBT 100ct $20.07

.30cal 200gr Nosler Partition 2x50ct $47.04

Difference in cost= $0.27 per bullet

That's 27 extra cents per shot you have to pay for the privilege of more deep-angle shot capability and bone smashing with zero loss of initial expansion. And no worries about excessive impact velocity. Usually a blood trail.

The cost? Including sight-ins a grand total of about six extra dollars per season and maybe a quarter MOA. (Unless you buy a Savage instead of Remchester then you'll have your quarter MOA back and boot for fifteen seasons of Partitions) [Wink]

With Partitions such an obvious rip-off, I don't know why I buy them. Guys like me are born every minute I guess. [Smile]

[ 10-03-2003, 06:50: Message edited by: steve y ]

Posts: 612 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Caveman, as you said you are getting great accuracy and that indeed boosts confidence, which does alleviate mental distractions when it is time to shoot.

Use the 200gr SGK. Just wait for a near- broadside shot to the bottom half of the lungs. If you were planning to use 180gr GKs my advice would be the same, even though in my limited testing the 180gr Ballistic Tip is a tougher bullet and better penetrator than the same weight GameKing.

As a young teenager I took an elk with one 250 gr GK from a .338WM and a couple of years later got another elk with one 130gr GK from a .270Win. Neither elk remained mobile for more than 5 or 6 seconds. Both were far closer than the 300+yd shot you expect. I was and am patient in waiting for the correct shot opportunity. Also I refuse to make a bad shot so incorrect shot placement was never a possibility.

AllenDay, you seem to have more bullet failures than anyone I know or have ever heard of.

Posts: 285 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
IF you stick to the parameters cited, i.e., 300 yard broadside shots, the Sierras I'm sure will get the job done. What you are forcing yourself to so is limiting yourself to the bullet's performance parameters. One should apply the military axiom of "train for the worst and expect the best," if that elk of a lifetime shows up at say 80 yards shoulder on, that 200 gr Sierra might not be able to deliver. If you can find a tougher bullet that shoots well, I'd consider using it. jorge

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
If I may be allowed to introduce my prejudice;....Swift A-Frame

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
<Reloader66>
posted
Be prepared for the old murphy's law to show up when big game hunting. Anything bad that can happen will on a big game hunt. I know of a premium bullet punching holes through a nice Bull Elk at 400 from my fiends 300 weatherby magnum. Shot placement is what anchored the animal not bullet performance. Had he not hit the Elk in the heart lung area it may have been a wounded lost animal. The broad side shot is always the best shot you should take on any game animal.

The so called premium bullet is constructed from the very same materials as all the less expensive copper jacketed lead core bullets now in use. The only premium bullet I can say has any advantage is the Nosler Partition bullet, all the rest are copper jacketed lead core bullets and nothing more. The reason for that is simple, the two compartment design of the Partition bullet insures at least half that bullet will stay together afetr striking any game animal. The down side is many hunting rifles will not produce good grouping ability because of the design of the Partition bullet. The bullet should mushroom to twice it's original diameter, and the outer jacket remain intact to produce the proper effect desired. Premium bullets are just as likely to breakup on game as any plain jane bullet can and will do. Just as many game animals are wounded and lost using premium bullets as those not using them and that is due to bullet placement, not bullet performance. The poster who suggested you fire into the south end of a north bound Elk is a perfect example of a hunter who is not in the know as a big game hunter. He believes his premium bullet can perform miricals because they say it will and he is out to prove them right.

Avoid hitting shoulder bones and put the bullet behind the shoulder into the heart lung area. All big game hunters should take a course in game anatomy and know for sure where the vitals are on the animal they are hunting, many hunters don't know for certain. Know where to place your bullet and use the designated hunting bullet your rifle gives you the best groups using. That bullet, premium or not, fired into the heart lung area of any game animal at any reasonable hunting distance should produce the desired effect, a quick clean kill.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never shot a Sierra bullet at a head of game BUT I doubt that the company would have stayed in business as long as they have without making a bullet that would get the job done.

I think the "sierra for paper and hornady for game" is a old, old axiom that's pretty passe' now.

My personal choice would be a 200gr Grand Slam.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ivan
posted Hide Post
Bewtween my hunting buddy, his dad, and myself we have all taken a lot of elk, I don't know how many for certain but I would bet over 60 elk with seirra btsp. All of us shoot the exact same load, 160gr btsp out of 7mm RM, with MOA goups.

I can't think of a bull that we lost to "bullet failure" only due to poor shot placement, and no matter what kind of bullet it was it wouldn't have mattered... Lost animals happen its part of hunting and will continue to be a part of it. No matter how long you have been hunting it will happen to you!

Reloader66 hit it ont head:
"The poster who suggested you fire into the south end of a north bound Elk is a perfect example of a hunter who is not in the know as a big game hunter. He believes his premium bullet can perform miricals because they say it will and he is out to prove them right."

I would venture to say that probably that over 50+% of the people preaching "premium bullets" have never hunted elk much less seen one killed...

Of all the elk we shot with the Sierras, about half looked like someone pulled the rug out form underneath them. Very few requied follow up shots, and for the most part the bullet that we did find were perfect mushrooms, with weight retensions of between 50-70%... A couple did seperate, but the end result was a DEAD elk. So who gives a crap what the weight retention was...

On average our shots were around 200yards, with extreams of less than 50 and out to about 400. The result. From the best of our knowlede, no elk escaped due to "bullet failure"...

So to answer you question. 300yard shots on elk with a 200gr Sierra btsp... I wouldn't use anything else!

Ivan

Posts: 576 | Location: The Green Fields | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For those that question a 200 grain Sierra's ability to take game, must have never had experience with one in the field. It seemed most people, playing up premium bullets, were passing on hearsay instead of actual personal experience.

Premium bullets are worth the cost.... However it does not mean that not having a premium bullet you are destined to have a bad hunt or one with poor results. Shot placement plays a lot in it, regardless of bullet ( style, weight or type).

Primo bullets guarantee nothing except good performance. You still have to do your part in shot placement.

The 200 grain Sierra is a very hard bullet. It is designed for larger game such as Elk. It is a waste on something like deer in a 300 Mag. I say that, from experience as I had it pass thru a large whitetail buck and evidence pointed to that it passed thru the animal before it had a chance to open up at all. A 180 is a better choice as it is designed to open up quicker.

I load 200 grain Speers in a 30/06 for a nephew to hunt elk in Montana with each year. A 180 may come out of the barrel at higher velocity, but a 200 has a higher ballistic coefficient, and if you check the trajectory charts, you will find that it has a flatter trajectory at long range than a 180 grain Game King.

At minimum it will do the same job as the Primo Bullets, it will kill your elk if you do your part. A primo one may statistically do better, but I don't think a dead elk can verify it one way or the other Just MHO>

Good luck either way!
[Cool] [Roll Eyes] [Razz]

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reloader66:
The only premium bullet I can say has any advantage is the Nosler Partition bullet, all the rest are copper jacketed lead core bullets and nothing more. The reason for that is simple, the two compartment design of the Partition bullet insures at least half that bullet will stay together afetr striking any game animal.

I guess you've never heard of the Swift Bullet Company and their A-Frame bullet.
 -

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I read some old O'Connor stuff a couple days ago. He wrote about how he shot a grizzly four or five times with a 30-06 and 180 grain Core Loct's and heard every one of them smack the rock on the other side of the bruin. Bullets made back then are now considered to be less than desirable, but they worked.

A 200 gn bullet with its high SD will hold up better than any similar 165 or 180 gn bullet simply because there is more jacket and core to hold together. My suggestion is use them with confidence, especially if you can hit the mark. If you still have any doubts give Sierra a call, they wont hesitate to let you know if they think it is a bad idea. They did about a bullet I recently called about.

Posts: 10160 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would use the Sierra without hesitation. That's one of the bullets I had been wanting to try lately...until the AccuBond hit the shelves. Now I don't think I ever will as I doubt there's anything that bullet can do that the AccuBond won't do better. But Seafire is right [Eek!] that, the 250 .338, and a few select other Sierras are specifically made very tough. Hit your mark and it will do well.

Posts: 920 | Location: Mukilteo, WA | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote