New
Find
Notify
Tools

Albino Bear
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A hunter in Westmoreland Co PA took an albino bear - a 47 lb cub !! thumbdown Does anyone know the regs for taking cubs ? Here in NY cubs are not to be taken .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, any bear in Pa. is legal. Although, cubs, and females with cubs are discouraged to harvest.

Posts: 310 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 01 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cwilson
posted Hide Post
Judging from the article in the local paper, a group of 4 hunters each killed a bear. To me, this indicates that a sow and her cubs were killed. Unfortunately, this happens often here in PA.

But, each hunter has his own ethical boundries that are O.K. provided that the act is legal. In this case, shooting a cub is legal.

On a positive note, an acquaintence of mine took a 620 pound black bear last week with a bow. He caught it laying in a corn field behind his house. Pennsylvania can grow some BIG bears, if they are allowed to grow up.

cwilson

A well requlated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed - 2nd Amendment U.S. Constitution

Posts: 715 | Location: Boswell, PA, USA | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
I can only hope that the hunter was green, and didn't know any better. To have killed a 47 lb cub because of the color of its coat is shameful, IMO. Would I shoot an adult bear of the same coloration? If legal, you bet I would.

KG

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote