Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Elk Hunt/Outfitter Questions
 Login/Join

posted
I know this is the end of July (and a little late), but I have recently come into some money that will allow me to go elk hunting (and I don't want to wait until next year if I do not have to). I have just started my research, so in what states (if any) could I potentially get a bull tag from an outfitter (and does anyone have an outfitter in these states they would recommend). This would be something I may only get to do every 5-10 years, so ideally I would like to find an outfit where you horseback into a camp, there are 1 or 2 hunters per guide, and I would have a decent chance at a good bull.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Brett

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Brett, I do have some openings in Idaho this year if you are seriously looking.

Drop me an email

aspenhill@triton.net

Posts: 19557 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
blong04
Wyoming MAY have some left over bull tags in units
that are mostly private.Find a place to hunt first.
Idaho,OTC tags,big tough country,STEEP MNTS.Some good bulls.
A rugged,classic horseback elk hunt can be had.
NM,landowner tags.Expensive,private ranches,good bulls
with limited competition.No wolf problems.
Alberta,expensive but OTC tags good bulls and can hunt with
rifle in the bugle season.
Northern BC,again expensive but OTC tags good bulls and
you can combo moose,bou,black bear,goat,mulies.

If $$$ is not an object,I'd go to BC or NM.

Just my .02

Posts: 2482 | Location: Alaska....At heart | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you have the money, I doubt if it is too late to book a hunt. There are many outfitters/ranches who could accomodate you. I suggest you contact The Lodge at Chama (Chama, NM). They have a web site I believe. The hunt for a the better bulls will cost 12-13K, but you will have the opportunity for a LARGE bull. Good Luck!

Posts: 51 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 05 July 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have been able to locate an available private land hunt in NE Utah through an outfitter called the Hunting Company (Justin Richins and Aaron Singleton). Does anyone know of or have any experience with this group? Thanks again!

Brett

one of us
Picture of BHW
posted Hide Post
I agree you can find an elk hunt to go on. I recommend you call Inga Cabral at Russell Pond Outfitters (http://www.russellpond.com/index.html). They have a very attractive and reasoanble package that guarantees you an elk tag. You horseback in to the remote camp. They have a number of ways to hunt elk depending on your physical ability. In my case I will still hunt from a stand for most of the time as I am too old and out of shape to chase the blasted animals all over the countryside. However, if spot and stalk is in your reach it can be done. In addition you can purchase an OTC tag for whitetail, mulee, bear or lion OR a reduced price tag for only bear. I am hunting with them for bear in September in their Maine camp and will book with them for an October 05 Elk hunt this November.

One thing to remember: A decent bull can be had in Idaho; if you want a MONSTER bull it will certainly cost you a LOT more and you will likely need to hunt Canada or New Mexico. I believe Russell Pond will provide you a very good value for the money you will spend just don't expect a record book bull, have realistic expectations. Color phase bears will abound up there if adding bear is of interest.

Inga may take a day or two to get back with you if you call as she is away right now, I believe. If you talk with her, tell her Brandt from Greensboro says hi and I recommended you call her. She is on my list to call later in the month as my Maine bear hunt approaches.

Good luck wherever you hunt.

Posts: 261 | Location: Duncan, SC | Registered: 06 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I live in Colorado and you can buy a bull tag over the counter as a non resident and get hooked up with a guide can get names thru fish and game here. If I was looking for a big bull and had to pay I'd hunt New Mexico alot of outfitters have tags for sale also fish and game should be able to furnish list of outfitters. I'd also get hook up pretty quick and try and hunt the last season sometimes those early hunts weather too warm. Well good luck.

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brett,
Vermejo Park Ranch in Raton, New Mexico is unbelievable. I went with my husband on three elk hunts (1998,1999,2002) and fishing this past June. The ranch is 588,000 acres. Huge bulls and a lot of them. Their website is www.vermejoparkranch.com.

Posts: 9497 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of dzpoorjr
posted Hide Post
You might get ahold of USO in New Mexico as they probably need the work! After all the Arizonans get through with them!

Posts: 62 | Location: SAFFORD, AZ. | Registered: 22 July 2004Reply With Quote