Find
Notify
Tools

.35 Whelen vs. Bison Cow
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TXPO
posted
I just got back from a weekend trip to the Hill Country of Texas after a successful hunt for a good Bison Cow. I was hunting with Greg R. of Mombasa Trading Co. again and of course I had a wonderful experience.

After much thought and deliberation, I decided to use my .35 Whelen against this large beast in my on-going preparation for my black bear and African plains game hunts this summer.

The bison were a little more difficult to approach this weekend because of the hunting pressure lately but I was able to stalk within 100 yds or so of the herd. Greg and I picked out one of the larger cows in the herd and I let fly a 250 gr. Hornady. The cow dropped in her tracks and I swear I could hear the sound of all that hide and meat slam into the ground! Greg was impressed and said that this is only the second time in his career that he has seen a bison drop from a single shot. This rifle is definately becoming my favorite 'meat gun' when things need to be done swiftly and cleanly!
 -
Thanks again Greg for a great time.

[ 03-02-2003, 23:28: Message edited by: TXPO ]

Posts: 700 | Location: Wallis, Texas | Registered: 14 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
That's a very nice photo. The Whelen is a neat round with a rich history... thanks for sharing.

BA

one of us
posted Hide Post
One of my hunting buddies, and another hunting acquaintance, use the .35 Whelen, for elk, and have killed several, with one shot kills, at various ranges.

I'd never be worried about being out in the big game boonies with "only" a .35 Whelen.

FWIW. L.W.

Posts: 253 | Location: S.W. Idaho | Registered: 30 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TXPO
Thanks for sharing story an pic with us.
I got my 35 Whelen last year, buildt on a Ruger M77 MK II with Shilen barrel.
So far only shooting range experience, but the way she behave is wery promising.
The Whelen will be used on moose here in Norway, but also on an upcoming black bear hunt eighter in US or Canada.
Good to know I made the right decicion choosing the 35 Whelen [Wink]

Posts: 1880 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe that .35 caliber Hornaday is one tough bullet.

Where did you place the shot ?

We need details on the bullet performance and pics of the slug , if you found it ...... [Smile]

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TXPO
posted Hide Post
sdgunslinger,

The bullet went exactly where I wanted and I was attempting a double lung shot just behind the shoulder. What I didn't expect was the spine to be sooooo low (it was my 1st bison ya know!). [Roll Eyes] The bullet crashed into the lower part of the spine and is probably still there because we could not find it in the off side or in the gut pile. I told the processor to keep an eye out for it and try to recover it if possible.

Posts: 700 | Location: Wallis, Texas | Registered: 14 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
WOW! Nice job! [Big Grin]

Posts: 19557 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote