Tools

Slider made me post it!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted
quote:
From the tag line by Slider:

Golf is for people that don't know how to Hunt and Fish.

Sorry Slider, I don't believe that...

I have been an avid hunter and fisherman for over 50 years. I also got bitten by the golf bug about 20 years ago, and I find that by walking 3-6 miles chasing that little white ball around a golf course 4-6 days a week to be a good way to loose the 10-15 pounds that I seem to acquire every winter .

So a few years ago after I hit a couple of Hole-in-Ones, my Dad gave me a trophy commemorating those occasions. I hung it on the wall going into my big game trophy room where I have 62 mounts of some of the game that I've shot and fish that I caught.

Then again a few years ago I saw where Grand Slam Club/Ovis has a program called the "Super Ten" honoring hunters who have killed an animal from each of the ten major species of big game animals in North America. So I sent in my list of those ten animals, and a couple of years ago I went to their annual convention in Las Vegas and was presented a plaque awarding that accomplishment. I am especially proud that only the Musk ox and Mountain Lion I got on guided hunts, and I got the other 8 animals on DIY hunts, with 7 of those on DIY solo hunts. So I hung that plaque on my "hero wall" next to my golf Hole-in-one trophy.

In 2004 I shot my Musk ox and two Central Canadian Barren Ground Caribou on a hunt in northern Northwest Territories. One of the caribou and the musk ox qualified for the Boone & Crockett record book, but I didn't enter them.

Then in 2017 I shot a great Quebec caribou, and when I had it Boone & Crockett scored, the measurer submitted the scoresheet to B&C. A few weeks later I got a phone call from B&C and they invited my caribou to their 30th Big Game Awards held this past August at the Bass Pro Wonders of Wildlife Museum in Springfield, MO. I felt very honored for this invitation, so I went ahead and entered all three of these trophy animals. My taxidermist did a rush mount of my Quebec caribou, and I shipped it to Springfield where it was on display along with 94 other animals in the WOW Museum from last May to August. My Sister and Girlfriend went to Springfield with me. My caribou won 2nd place in that 30th Awards period, and I received a plaque commemorating that.

The B&C Club also sent me Award sheets for both of these caribou and musk ox, and I put all of them on my "Hero wall".

So some of us CAN hunt and fish AND play golf. Big Grin

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1635 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Keep it up and you'll need a bigger wall.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
I want to see pictures of the caribou.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buffybr:
quote:

I have been an avid hunter and fisherman for over 50 years.
So a few years ago after I hit a couple of Hole-in-Ones, my Dad gave me a trophy commemorating those occasions. . Big Grin

How old is your dad? rotflmo

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sevens:
I want to see pictures of the caribou.

OK, if you twist my arm... Cool

Posts: 1635 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norton:
quote:
quote:

So a few years ago after I hit a couple of Hole-in-Ones, my Dad gave me a trophy commemorating those occasions. . Big Grin

Time is flying by too fast. My term "a few years ago" was more like 15 years ago. My Dad passed in 2007 when he was 82.

One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
My Sister and Girlfriend went to Springfield with me.

your sister is your girlfriend?

One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
Your one of the few!!! Congrats Nice Bou!!!

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Norton:
quote:
quote:

Time is flying by too fast. My term "a few years ago" was more like 15 years ago. My Dad passed in 2007 when he was 82.

Sorry to hear that about your dad and I know what you mean about time flying by. Nice trophies and I agree we can play golf along with hunting and fishing.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505 gibbs:
quote:

Wow, some of you are tougher than my high school English teacher! rotflmo

OK, Both my Sister and my Girlfriend went to Springfield with me.

This was at the Welcome Reception where all of the 30th Awards trophies were on display in the Wonders of Wildlife Museum. I'm the lucky guy standing between my Sister and my Girlfriend and next to my Quebec caribou.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

He's from Montana not East. Texas..... hilbily

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Montana ain’t no Arkansaw
We do have DNA and we do have teeth ( some at least)

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

rotflmo

That explains why he likes golf!

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
WOW, that's a caribou. Nice. A caribou is the one animal still on my bucket list. Guess I should have went to Quebec when they were in good numbers.

Posts: 601 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
caribou is the only thing I have ever wanted to leave the U.S. to go hunt.
actually I didn't want to leave the U.S. to hunt them it just seemed more logical to do so.

the sad thing is I actually live in Caribou county.
yeah,, there used to be Caribou here, I have found antler remnants when I've been out and about.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
Colorado Bob and Lamar

A Caribou was the first hunt that I did outside of the continental US.
Back in 1980, several of my friends here in Bozeman and I did a DIY Caribou hunt out of King Salmon, Alaska. We all got a bull, and this was mine...

In the late '90s I went on my first guided hunt which was a cancellation Dall Sheep hunt with Gana River Outfitters in the Mackenzie Mountains in Canada's Northwest Territories. After I killed my ram I shot this Mountain Caribou that my taxidermist was able to preserve the velvet on his antlers...

I really enjoy Caribou hunting and it's a lot like spot and stalk Pronghorn Antelope hunting that I've done on the plains of Colorado, Wyoming, and Montana. In 2004 I decided to try to hunt all 5 of the Boone & Crockett recognized species of Caribou, and I found an outfitter out of Inuvik, NT Canada that did a fall combination hunt for Central Canadian Barren Ground Caribou and Musk ox and we were allow to shoot 2 Caribou each, and this was my best one, which also is one of the B&C award sheets in my original post...

My "Hippy cow" also earned one of those B&C award sheets shown in my original post, and the fall hunt was very pleasurable without the extreme cold of the winter hunts. I had to do a full mount of him.

I had long wanted to do a Quebec Caribou hunt, but kept putting it off until 2017 when I heard that Quebec was going close their hunting to non-residents so I booked a space on the last Caribou hunt that Leaf River Lodge would be offering to non-resident hunters. I was then luck enough to get that great bull shown in my original post.

In two weeks I will be fulfilling my North American Caribou dream and will be hunting Woodland Caribou in Newfoundland.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I traveled to Springfield and viseted the first day of that new B&C wing at Bass Pro Springfield

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote