THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Future of hunting in the United States

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Future of hunting in the United States
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted
This could go in the political forum, but it is about our ability to own firearms to hunt, which is why most of us own them. So, it is more appropriate to post it here, right?

This is a letter written by Rich Pearson, who, for the past 15 years, was the chief lobbyist for the Illinois State Rifle Association. He lobbied Barack Obama extensively. It is worth a read.

Open Letter To Sportsmen

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The thread belongs right where it is because of the complexity of the issue. Bigger picture than just political. Just the overall cost of hunting is out of control. Most leases and package hunts are just out of reach of lots of hunters. What Washington imposes on gun owners is one obsticle but the cost of travel, complications of travel, outfitter fees, increasing out of state license fees, the privelidge of hunting specific species in most cases I have to forego.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Leases and lack of public hunting ground will greatly affect the future of hunting unfortunately.

Hunters leaving an impression on private landowners especially when that impression is not a good one, also raises serious implications for those who want to hunt in the future.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4261 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is an important subject as the average hunter is being slowly pushed out of the game. Hunting in Texas is becoming more difficult with limited public land and high cost of leases. Being here in the Southeastern part of the state I brave the public lands hunts close to me for hog hunting and make a couple trips to my brother-in-laws place near Mertzon/ San Angelo in the fall for deer and turkey and again in the spring for turkey. Point here is that I'm very blessed to have wife's brothers place to hunt. For the cost of a true year-round hunting lease a guy could do a 7 day plainsgame hunt in Africa or buy a nice package hunt in Alaska once a year or at least every other year without the maintenence. And then the political arena is getting very scary as no one really knows what the future of gun ownership is going to be. It is my understanding that Joe Biden wrote the '94 Clinton gun ban and we are all realizing what obama's feelings are to gun ownership. I think most sportsman know how to vote this year. Rodney.

Posts: 1049 | Location: Cut-n-Shoot, Texas USA | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote