New
Find
Notify
Tools

fHunting GPS Maps - Which GPS Unit
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
An outfit called Hunting GPS MAPS (or huntinggpsmaps.com) sells electronic maps for Garmin GPS units showing land ownership. I am planning an antelope hunt in Wyoming next year, and figure to use their maps. I am trying to decide which GPS to buy - the GPSMAP 62s, one of the Oregon series, or a Montana. Each has obvious differences in screen and interface, but they also have differences in the amount of internal storage, which can have a big impact on speed of operation. The Oregon, which has the least storage, is available cheap ($250) at Cabelas. Does anyone have experience with this unit and did you notice any problems with slow response?

Thanks.

Liberals believe that criminals are just like them and guns cause crimes. Conservatives believe criminals are different and that it is the criminals that cause crimes. Maybe both are right and the solution is to keep guns away from liberals.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am doing the same myself. The Oregon 450 at cabelas for $249 is a good buy. My son has the 450T and it is easy to use. Right now I am leaining towards Garmin 650 or 550. I missed some good buys online last night. Oh well! But as for maps go to the WG&F site and you can buy a microsd card that is only compatible with Garmin. It is a great map, I used one,my son has it on his 450t, while sitting in my house you can scroll down and see I was the property owner and the address. With the G&F card you don't really need the topo models for Wyoming anyway. It comes highly recommended by the G&F as for accuracy of land ownership, BLM, Forest service, and State lands. You can get free shipping by useing code wy-plat4gps.It also has topo lines, which allows you to step down to a 450-550-or 650, no t model.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I purcased a Garmin Etrex Vista Hcx last week at Cabelas for $299. Today Sportsmans Warehouse had them on Black Friday sale for $129. Instead I purchased a Garmin 62s. Don't get any of the Garmin GPS units that use the small round togle button to enter and move the cursor. It is so sensitve that you keep messing up and entering when you want to just move the cursor. It would be a nightmare to use with cold and numb fingers. Get one with a rocker pad or a touch screen. If you get one of the 62 series get the 62s as with the 62sc all your getting is an additional topo map which you will get anyway with the hunt maps you mentioned for the same price.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
gpscity.com has the 450 for $219 right now.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the leads.

Kudu - the Wy-Plat4gps sounds like the map that Hunting gps Maps sells = it shows landowner names as well as public vs private land. I could not find it on the Wy G&F website but the site I was looking at is https://www.huntinggpsmaps.com/Web_Store/MapStore.php

Thanks again.

Liberals believe that criminals are just like them and guns cause crimes. Conservatives believe criminals are different and that it is the criminals that cause crimes. Maybe both are right and the solution is to keep guns away from liberals.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It sounds like the same sd card. At the G&F you can save the $15 shipping with the code I gave you, but sales tax. To find it go to the gift shop, then new products. What GPS did you decide on?

one of us
posted Hide Post
450t on sale at Scheels for $299