Find
Notify
Tools

Northern Wisconsin
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
I interviewed last week for Northern Wisconsin and a place near Salt Lake in Utah.

After a little research I am not moving to Utah. Just in income tax we will make about $3000 less than we do now, and I am moving for a promotion. So I am not going to take Utah if they offer it to me.

I have never lived in Wisconsin, but I have lived in Maine, Alaska, Montana, Washington and Wyoming. I know cold weather, mosquitos and people that talk funny (normal?).

Housing up there seems to be cheap. Really really cheap! Like what the hell is going on up there cheap?

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might want to check on what heating oil and other utilities cost. When I was selling my place in WV and learned what some folks up north were paying in taxes and heating oil, I was staggered.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got off the phone with a realtor this morning. She claims that almost everyone is on natural gas or LP. She said a few have wood boilers.

House prices are tiny, and about half of what something here or in Utah would cost.

We'll see if they select me. If not who knows.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where in Northern Wisconsin? And yes the cost of living is really that low compared to many other places in the US.

And yes... we talk funny Big Grin

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My brother in law and his toxic wife took over the family cottage in northern Wisconsin 6 years ago, they did 2 winters and now spend December to may in southern Arizona, seems they can take the deep snow and sub zero temperatures.
If your near a big city like Warsaw or Green Bay you could probably make it work otherwise I'd go to Idaho, much more to do within a few hours driving distance,

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2300 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by raamw:
My brother in law and his toxic wife took over the family cottage in northern Wisconsin 6 years ago, they did 2 winters and now spend December to may in southern Arizona, seems they can take the deep snow and sub zero temperatures.
If your near a big city like Warsaw or Green Bay you could probably make it work otherwise I'd go to Idaho, much more to do within a few hours driving distance,

Did you mean Wausau....lol

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chas257
posted Hide Post
Depending on where your looking at in northern Wisconsin, snowfall can be severe to very little. Depth of annual snowfall is a relative topic, I live about 100 miles north of the Wisconsin/Michigan border and we receive about 240-300 inches of snow each year. Remember that if your in an area that is inland of the Great Lakes your temperatures will generally be 15-20 degrees cooler than if your near the lakes.

Posts: 243 | Location: Lake Linden Mi | Registered: 18 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chas257:
Depending on where your looking at in northern Wisconsin, snowfall can be severe to very little. Depth of annual snowfall is a relative topic, I live about 100 miles north of the Wisconsin/Michigan border and we receive about 240-300 inches of snow each year. Remember that if your in an area that is inland of the Great Lakes your temperatures will generally be 15-20 degrees cooler than if your near the lakes.

Unless you're really in love with winter I wouldn't recommend the Keweenaw Peninsula Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of chas257
posted Hide Post
Some great Musky fishing there also!

Posts: 243 | Location: Lake Linden Mi | Registered: 18 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chas257
posted Hide Post
Amen Heym

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I interviewed last week for Northern Wisconsin .

What city

i could most likely tell you all about it,..

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The region I'll be working in will be everything north of Wausau touching the Michigan border and Lake Superior. I'll be traveling that area most days, and home every night.

I'll most likely live in the middle of the whole business in a 50 mile circle around Tomahawk. But it depends on what towns we end up liking. And most importantly that we can find a place with some land not to far from a lake where I can fish.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lots of public ranges in the north half too.
Just got a C/card from an old friend from here that moved to Chilton in '11. Crying as he hasn't fired a shot in ten yrs now. I just told him, being stuck between those two fine big lakes wth would he want to shoot for?

Too bad you didn't get Monte, wish you the best with the job findings regardless where. I agree you mostly likely wouldn't like Utah, especially in summer due to the heat.
BT a lot.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chas257
posted Hide Post
The area you describe is hard to beat. My wife drives down occasionally to Wausau for work & claims that the 'Land of Lakes' area is where she sees the most snow but with that said, it's beautiful country. Good luck.

one of us
posted Hide Post
As long as you get a few miles out of town and don't buy water front one should get a good house and some acreage for a couple hundred thousand. unless you want really big then 4 to 500 thou.

you can get into some real cheap the further one gets from the cities,

Lots of public lands around decent gun laws for the state open carry with out permit. CCW very easy shall issue.

Deer and small game is easy bear turkey and others by permit.

Fishing in a lots of lakes and rivers,

one of us
posted Hide Post
Poland of course, which happens to be the "ski" capital of the world. also did you read about the guy who thought a ski jump was a polish whore??
quote:
Originally posted by Heym 450/400:
quote:
Originally posted by raamw:

Did you mean Wausau....lol

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2300 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How do you feel about cheap beer and the packers? Big Grin

Posts: 481 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 14 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you like the outdoors, you will love northern Wisconsin. Take a look at the Wisconsin Gazetteer and you will see that there is a TON of public access to hunting, fishing, XC ski trails, etc. About the only winter sport that isn't great is downhill skiing. If you have never done ice fishing, I suggest you make friends with co-workers who do. It's a lot of fun and you will have ice-covered lakes about five months of the year. As for open water fishing, north central Wisconsin is some of the best muskie and northern fishing on the continent. There are also a lot of really good trout streams (look at the Brule in Douglas County, for example.)

While our northern deer herd is down these last few years because of increased predator numbers (wolves and bear) and a really hard winter a couple years ago, the herd in the southern third of the state is in great shape. If you are based in the Tomahawk area a two hour drive south puts you in some great deer hunting territory.

I may sound like someone from the tourism bureau, but I'm not. I am a life-long outdoorsman, born and raised here. I spent a few years here and there out of state for college or work, but my wife and I always came back to Wisconsin. I love it here and would never dream of settling down anywhere else.

Posts: 571 | Location: southern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 08 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks gents, here's to hoping to hire me.

I am a fanatical ice fisherman, snowmobilier, predator hunter and bird feeder. We are massively excited about it. I am really surprised I got an interview since I don't live anywhere near there.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lapidary:
How do you feel about cheap beer and the packers? Big Grin

rotflmo

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you will have to wear a large piece of cheddar cheese for a hat, wear green and yellow clothes, and know every sweede and ole joke ever told Big Grin

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
you will have to wear a large piece of cheddar cheese for a hat, wear green and yellow clothes, and know every sweede and ole joke ever told Big Grin

There's only two acceptable outfits for a packers game. Green/gold or blaze orange Cool

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have always liked the Packers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope it works out for you....

I think you'll find the hunting and fishing to be more than acceptable here. I would argue we still have the best deer hunting on the planet and if your into B&C bucks check out the record books and I think you'll find we do alright Wink.

Waterfowl hunting is very good..maybe not compared to the prairie states but still better than average....northern Wisconsin is thick with black bears and you'll be able to draw a tag every 6 years or so...turkeys most every year

The rest is simply buy a license and go...fishing is top notch as well. I'm glad you said you like ice fishing because that is pretty much a religion in Minnesota Wisconsin and Michigan...

Watch Grumpy Old Men and thats us!!! jumping

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
fanatical ice fisherman

Hardly any ice this year we only have 1,5 inches of snow shaping up to be a good winter Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of chas257
posted Hide Post
Only 29.5 inches so far in Keweenaw county.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heym 450/400:

Watch Grumpy Old Men and thats us!!! jumping

I did, told the old lady the same. She is already bitching about it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some of the best bear hunting in the state around that area.You can expect a good amount of snow,but thats why God gave us snowmobiles.Deer hunting around Wausau can be pretty good.Tons of lakes and good fishing.Property taxes are low compared to other states.Good people in Wisconsin.The further from the big cities the nicer they are except Green Bay.Big town things to do combined with small town hospitality.Good luck,OB

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote