New
Find
Notify
Tools

.243 trigger replacement
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What is a good trigger to replace the factory trigger in a Winchester model 670 chambered in .243 win.
Tried to post in gunsmithing but I keep getting a error message.
I have backed the two trigger tensioning nuts off to max and the pull is still too stiff.
Can I do something else or do I need to replace the trigger with an aftermarket trigger?

[ 10-01-2003, 02:17: Message edited by: turnerhunter ]

Posts: 111 | Location: Turner Valley, Alberta | Registered: 24 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you want to spend the money, Jewell makes a trigger for the M 70 that will work. It is pricey at 215.00 from Sinclair. Excellent trigger, comes factory set at 1 pound and adjusts from 4 pounds down to 1.5 oz. I don't know what you are wanting to do with the rifle, but that trigger would cover it all. A good gun smith can get the factory trigger down to a reliable 1.5 pounds. Hope this helps some.

Shoot Safe, Shoot Straight.......RiverRat

Posts: 413 | Location: Owensville, Indiana USA | Registered: 04 July 2001Reply With Quote
<Savage 99>
posted
turnerhunter,

Take it to a gunsmith who is insured.

[ 10-01-2003, 18:24: Message edited by: Savage 99 ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I do not have a trigger pull gauge to give me the exact weight of pull.
A buddy of mine bought this used and abused rifle for his son.He asked me to take it to the range and see how it was shooting because his son could not get it on the paper at 100 yards.I found a few problems like bad copper fouling and a very poor bedding job.I corrected these things first and took it to the range.
Very evident from the first time that I fired it that the reason the kid could not get repeatable results was the extremely stiff trigger.How stiff? So stiff that I cocked it on a empty chamber and with the muzzle down I let the whole weight of the rifle rest on my trigger finger.It did not go off
until I bounced it on my finger.Rifle and scope weigh over 9 lbs.Now I backed off the double nuts and it is some what better but still feels much too stiff when I fire it.What do I do next?

Posts: 111 | Location: Turner Valley, Alberta | Registered: 24 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think I'd be giving a kid a rifle with the trigger set on 1.5 lbs. Especially a hunting rifle. Hell, I don't set my own hunting rifles that light.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote