New
Find
Notify
Tools

My First Whitetail Ever
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
. . . that weighed more than I do. This bruiser came in at 233 pounds on the hoof. I'd always wanted to take a whitetail that weighed more than I do, but such a large-bodied deer has eluded me until a recent trip to South Texas. The deer scored 170 gross and is a 6x5 without any kickers. Taken with a unique Sako, the GO Wholesale model (500 made) in .280 Remington. My load was the out-of-production Nosler Solid Base 150 grain at about 3,000 fps. 130 yards, one shot.

My hunting companion took a magnificent wide 10-pointer which grossed 166 with just two points of deductions to net 164. It is 25.5" outside spread. He was shooting a Sako AV 7x64 with the same bullets as I loaded in my .280. One shot did it.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice deer indeed!

Posts: 362 | Location: pueblo, Co. USA | Registered: 01 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Oh wow! Terrific bucks.

~Ann

Posts: 19422 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Outstanding deer! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some very nice bucks.....congrats to you both!!!

DRSS

Posts: 1160 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome bucks, both of them. Congratulations

Posts: 214 | Location: maine, usa | Registered: 07 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great bucks.

That ranch must of imported some northern white tail genes

Posts: 19495 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a couple of quality bucks. I would be very pleased if either were mine.

I note you gents are very nattily dressed. Much more so than I would be be for hunting. Is there a dress code on the property you hunted or is that the standard for Texas ? Sorry, I know it's a bit of a cheeky question but I am intrigued. Cheers.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2062 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:

Having hunted the brush country most of my adult life these are typical of what you might find on a well managed ranch in south Texas.

A couple of solid south Texas bucks! Congratulations. I'd consider your taxidermist just gained some work!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7545 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done. Congrats!

Posts: 2614 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Now that I live in Texas, I'd be happy to just see a buck like that. Well done.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16575 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:

Obviously, PDawg is unfamiliar with South Texas Whitetails.

Awesome bucks!!

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:

Sweetwater? There are some excellent deer around you. Shackleford county north of Abilene has some studs and I just got back from Hartley County south of Dalhart and took a gross low 60's buck. Not alot of deer in that country but some solid ones!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

- Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 7545 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Uh, the rack is no slouch either!

Well done on a fine pig-of-a-trophy buck!!!

Best,
Zeke

one of us
posted Hide Post
Texas has awesome deer, if managed, the gene pool has always been there..

The high fenced deer are normally larger of course, and much tamer I might add..and not allowed in B&C..

Ive seen some huge wild native deer in Texas, and all should check out the buckhorn saloon in San Antonio if you want to see a world champion whitetail deer. that boy has more points than the probably the last 10 or 20 whitetail deer combined that Ive shot.. rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42059 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
one picture has the rifle and I see it wears a Leupold.

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Great deer! South texas has a ton of low fence bruisers. Good genetics. I've also noticed their body size is larger than the whitetail in my area

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great deer!!!!!!!!!

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12956 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
South Texas in the "Golden Triangle" has Whitetail in the 200 plus pounds and antlers galore! and they don't come cheap,

They are low fenced and on 30,000 to 100,000 acre ranches, with some 5000 to 10,000 acre ranches tossed in. The fenced ranches are normally less than 5,000 acres and many are 300 to 400 acres.. A few scattered day leases for $125 per day, some decent and others terrible. In other words you get what you pay for..

Northern Idaho has good white tail hunting for the cost of a resident or non resident license and National forest to hunt in. Lots of deer.. Get an extra deer tag for $300. I hunt there as a rule. For you curmudgeons over 65, for a buck and a half, your allowed to shoot from the PU on forests land..Its high country and rough on old folks..Old age ain't all bad~!

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 42059 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on some stud deer!

Posts: 10885 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful bucks!
Nice to see the old classic Sako’s getting a workout. When are the prime rut hunts in south Texas?
4WD

Posts: 718 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 September 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only thing better than 1 is 2. Wonderful.

Posts: 11658 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:
When are the prime rut hunts in south Texas?

Typically, mid- December but varying pasture and weather conditions can be from just after Thanksgiving to the end of December

- Rudyard Kipling

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive seen the rut in full swing in the Big bend area as late as February, It has to do with the moon and weather..I always seemed to me the pre rut was in Dec or Jan, and hard in late Jan or early Feb on the Rio grand big bend Mule deer..The coues rutted early after the first or second cold spell or snap and a full moon started it or long periods of daylight..Just my opine on ranches in the trans Pecos and Big bend.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great deer!

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1106 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Outstanding!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37265 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Beauties!

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12625 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanamrm:
quote:

Sweetwater? There are some excellent deer around you. Shackleford county north of Abilene has some studs and I just got back from Hartley County south of Dalhart and took a gross low 60's buck. Not a lot of deer in that country but some solid ones!

Shackleford eh? My barber is a native of Fisher County, where my grandmother was born in 1893. He tells me the same thing -- not a lot of deer, but some very fine bucks.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16575 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Shackleford eh? My barber is a native of Fisher County, where my grandmother was born in 1893. He tells me the same thing -- not a lot of deer, but some very fine bucks.

Fisher County! How about that. I'm a native of Fisher, own property there, and am headed there tomorrow to hunt. There are now LOTS of deer in Fisher County, and we need to shoot more does and fewer bucks. Here's a buck taken on my Fisher County place last season. Not too shabby, eh?

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:
one picture has the rifle and I see it wears a Leupold.

. . . . and the binocular is Leupold also -- the good ones that are no longer available with the individual eye focus feature which eliminates the troublesome and often out-of-focus center wheel/diopter system. The IF is also sturdier, having no moving mechanism connecting the tubes, and is easier to make water resistant since there are fewer openings.

quote:

It is true that some ranches import "breeding stock", but the rancher on whose place this one was taken is VEHEMENTLY opposed to transporting deer. I can assure you that the deer on this place are native. He does make supplemental protein available, culls heavily to keep a sexes in balance and population within the carrying capacity of the range, and lets the bucks reach trophy age before taking them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 30.06king:
I note you gents are very nattily dressed. Much more so than I would be be for hunting. Is there a dress code on the property you hunted or is that the standard for Texas ? Sorry, I know it's a bit of a cheeky question but I am intrigued. Cheers.

I guess those antlers make everything in the photo look better. I'm just wearing jeans and a camo jacket, while my friend is in Wranglers (jeans), with a fleece vest he likes to wear. The only dress code in Texas is that you wear a "gimme" cap (which can't be seen in the photos), preferably one with someone's advertising on it, lest you be suspected of being some kind of high-brow.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek--I've not used Leupold binoculars but I have been well pleased for over 50 years with my Rochester NY made Bausch & Lomb.

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep, the Rochester B&L's, both scopes and binos, had some of the best optics made. I briefly owned a 6-24X B&L target scope, which was the only scope I've ever used with which I could resolve .24 caliber bullet holes in a paper target at 400 yards.

one of us
posted Hide Post
What are those awesome Rochchester spotting scope worth these days, bet its bunch..I have two and I might sell one on AR or guns Intl., but not sure yet..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray Atkinson--You can go to EBAY and get an idea about what the B&L spotting scopes sell for. EBAY now will have a bunch of way out of this world overpriced stuff before you get to the realistic part.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Very nice deer

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10122 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
[QUOTE] Not too shabby, eh?

That is a beautiful buck! I take my boat up to Hubbard Creek and around your area often. Love chasing those crappie.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote