New
Find
Notify
Tools

swarovski riflescope problem?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a Swarovski 3-9x36 A line scope. It has a focusing eyepiece that screws in and out to adjust focus. When it is either all the way in or all the way out it does not wobble. But when it is somewhere in between I can wobble it side to side, up and down and in and out by grabbing it and moving it. I did not think that it should do that. I called Swaroski USA and asked about that. They said I should send it in and they would check it out. Well they sent it back and it still wobbles. When it was mounted on my scope and I wobbled it I could clearly see that the reticle was moving around relative to the target. I wonder if the eyepiece moves from shot to shot slightly such that I am not aiming where I think I am aiming every time and thereby groups are bigger than they should be. So I wonder if any of you have a Swarovski riflescope that has the focusing eyepiece and if so does it wobble if you grab hold of it and try to move it? Thanks, Rufous.

Posts: 224 | Location: Walla Walla, WA 99362 | Registered: 05 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
rufous - I have four 3-10X42A Swarovski scopes that had frozen (difficult to adjust) power rings. This was caused by the wrong O-ring in the scope. I sent them back twice to fix the problem. After the first go-round, I spoke directly to Jim Morey, North American President, to either fix the problem or replace the scopes. The problem was fixed.

My suggestion is to call the service department again explain the problem. Tell them to replace the scope. These scopes are expensive and this type of problem should not go unresolved. Even with these challenges, they are the best optics going.

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Zero Drift, I'm interested in the basis for your opinion that the Swaro A scopes are the best optics out there.
The 1993, the german organization DEVA tested scopes, using a spektral photo meter. They measured the image brightness and expressed it in a percentage score. The Swarrovski 3-12X56 scored 91% in daylight, and 87% in twilight. The Leupold 3.5-10X50 scored 94% in daylight, and 92% in twilight. The Zeiss 2.5-10X48 scored the same.
John Barsness, in 1999, did a comparison between the Swaro 3-10X42 A, the Leupold 3.5-10X40 VarXIII, and the Zeiss 3-9X36 MC. His testers decided these three were dead even when tested under twilight conditions.
So, I'm wondering why you decided the Swaros were better ? E

Posts: 1022 | Location: Placerville,CA,USA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1993 that's almost 10 years ago. Of my 12 scopes 8 are Swaro's, and I have never experienced any problem with them. I am with you Zero Drift.

Posts: 363 | Location: Paris, France | Registered: 20 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
Don't want to get into another pissing match over the "best" scope, however, the new Swarovski optics maintain better clarity and light transmission over the new X-III 1" tube Leupold scopes. The LPS, which is a 30 mil tube offers very good clarity - on par with the Swarovski. I draw my opinion from owing a slew of Leupold s, five Swarovski scopes, and two Zeiss scopes.

BTW - I have three LR target/varmint guns which sport the Leupold LR 30Mil 6.5-20. Nothing beats these scopes for LR shooting. I am not a scope snob...

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
I don't mean to be overly American or anything -- well, I don't really care if I AM "overly American" -- but when you wrote that you called Swarovski... who did you talk to? Did you get someone who understood what the Hell you were saying? Did you get some minimum-wage flunky, or flunkette, on the phone? I don't know about you but, on those rare occasions I can't fix my own computer problems and have to -- God forbid -- call "customer support" for whatever software-related situation it is... I always get someone from the Philippines, Vietnam, Mexico, or wherever... and they clearly haven't bothered to learn MY language, and I can't understand a Goddamn thing they are saying while they're attempting to communicate to me using butchered English. I think you "clearly" explained the problem. I fail to understand why they didn't fix it. I'm a real impatient, unforgiving kind of guy. If this kind of thing had happened to me (and things like this HAVE happened to me), I call back, ask for an American (if I don't obviously get one answering the phone), and I again explain the problem. I get a name of "THE" person who should fix such problems. I send it "signature required" to THAT person, with tracking information, the works. I explain that I want the problem fixed. I explain what "it" (the busted item) should NOT be like when I get it back. I also get a few names of higher-ups... you know, managers, corporate heads, bla bla bla. I write all these names and phone numbers down, in the event I have to get incredibly nasty later. I'll tell you something "I" have learned over the years; if you get someone's name (and not just a first name like, oh, "Chuck" or "Chris," when there could be three "Chucks" or "Chrises" working at the same place), and you let them know that, right or wrong, you're going to record their name as someone you talked to and will AGAIN talk to them if the problem isn't resolved... well, it's amazing how badly people do NOT want to be held responsible for f**k-ups. If you just deal with first names and/or departments, you get screwed around.

Send the scope back. "Encourage" them to fix it to your satisfaction. Let them know you'll call an airstrike on their position if they jerk you around again.

There's no excuse for incompetent morons working in "customer service" and/or repair departments. I won't tolerate it... and I don't.

Russ

[ 05-30-2002, 06:04: Message edited by: Russell E. Taylor ]

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have four a line 3x10x42 scopes and find them to be clearer and brighter than the varix iii's I have owned.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
<Frank>
posted
I have done all the light meter tests to all of the above named scopes, my conclusion is not one of the leupolds could hang with the Ziess,Swarovski,Shcmidt & benders scopes. All you have to do is compare them side by side like I did and you will see a big difference. Your eyes are the final judge not a light meter, or some writer that may get something from a scope company for being favorable to them. The only leupold scope that I felt was decent was the LPS and a Mark4. But they did not have better glass then the others. One thing for sure with leupold they give you great no hassles service in a timely manner and stand behind there product. But as far as glass they are behind the Europeans. I call it like I see thru them when leupold has better glass I will use them exclusively.
Service is slow with the european scopes when somthing goes wrong you will be without that scope for a while, That is why I have extra scopes on my shelf, just in case. If you buy the scope from a good company they should help you. The place I deal with would send me a replacement no questions asked. I would say keep hounding them till they do it right.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Stubblejumper, bobby van der putten and Zero Drift: I am not asking about optical clarity but rather whether or not the focusing eyepiece should wobble. You all have Swarovski scopes. Does the eyepiece wobble when it is positioned somewhere between all the way in and all the way out and then you grab it and try to move it? That is what I want to know. I talked to a guy at SWFA and he said that it was a common occurence with European scopes that have the focusing eyepiece but still I am not so sure. I am not talking that it is loose or that it just flops around but it is visibly obvious when grabbed and moved. Please check with your scopes and let me know what you find. Thanks, Rufous.

Posts: 224 | Location: Walla Walla, WA 99362 | Registered: 05 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No wobble here, but then my driven game scopes are always set on minimum 1.25 magnification, and my stalking scopes on maximum. The only problem I ever had was when I dropped the 2.5-10 x 56, it came back from the factory as new. Swarovski, unlike Zeiss doesn't use injected plastic in it's scopes, which makes them less prone to suffer from play. I would get in touch with the US importer and insist on their respecting the thirty year guaranty.

Posts: 363 | Location: Paris, France | Registered: 20 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Russel,
cheap workforce is imported and treated by developed countries just like any other commodity.
cheap workforce sometimes turns out as the only tool which will enable an industry, a national industry, to remain competitive in a harsh environment.
obviously, they have not been educated at Eton in the UK, nor the have a degree from Columbia University in NY.
far from being all of them a buch of incompetent morons, I would expect most of them to have difficulties in learning YOUR language.
some of them will also have difficulties in learning English, as well.
montero

Posts: 874 | Location: Madrid-Spain | Registered: 03 July 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
rufous,

I have Swarovski PH, S&B and Meopta scopes and none have a "wobble" in the eyepiece no matter how it is adjusted. I would send it back and insist they repair or replace it.

Swarovski UK has a similar reputation for customer service as Leupold in the States. Having spoken to the guy who runs Swarovski UK I gather that Leupolds customer service is the standard he strives to beat. Having said that I spoke tosomeone else in the business (no names no pack drill) and they intermated that Swarovski USA was perhaps not quite that customer focused. This was two or three years ago and things may have changed. If you don't get any joy from Swarovski USA I would contact Swarovski in Europe and deal with them direct.

Regards,

Peter

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
4 swarovskis none wobble. I like them, just wish they hadn't stopped making steel tubes.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Rufous, over the years (and after trying many brands)I've grown pretty fond of Swarovski products and still own 9 of them, between rifle scopes, binos and spotting scope. None of them ever "wobbled". If Swarovski U.S. doesn't seem to care about your problem, address your complaint to :

Swarovski Optik AG
A-6067 Absam/Tyrol
Austria
-for the attention of M.Gerhardt Swarovski-
fax + 43 52 23 41 860
e-mail : swarovski.optik@tyrol.at

I would be verrry surprised if your grief wasn't taken up seriously overthere.

Be my guest. [Cool]

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input everyone. Bobby van der Putten: I am not talking about the power adjustment but the focusing eyepiece. It screws in and out to alter the focus. When mine is all the way in or all the way out it is tight but in the middle it is somewhat wobbly. How about yours Bobby? Rufous.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My old 3x9x36 with the recoiling eyepiece wobbles a bit .My new 3x10x42's do not have recoiling eyepieces and do not wobble.All shoot 1/2" groups on the rifles they are mounted on so the wobble is not affecting accuracy in the older scope.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 3 Swaro 3.5 X 10 X 42s. Had a parallal problem and called them, mailed it in and had it back fixed in a couple of weeks. My Swaro's are brighter and clearer than my Zeiss and the Zeiss is brighter and clearer than any of my Leupolds. However, for the money, I don't think you can beat a Leupold for a hunting scope.

[ 05-31-2002, 06:46: Message edited by: rcasto ]

Posts: 1147 | Location: Ohio USA | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frank:
I have done all the light meter tests to all of the above named scopes, my conclusion is not one of the leupolds could hang with the Ziess,Swarovski,Shcmidt & benders scopes. All you have to do is compare them side by side like I did and you will see a big difference. Your eyes are the final judge not a light meter, or some writer that may get something from a scope company for being favorable to them. The only leupold scope that I felt was decent was the LPS and a Mark4. But they did not have better glass then the others. One thing for sure with leupold they give you great no hassles service in a timely manner and stand behind there product. But as far as glass they are behind the Europeans. I call it like I see thru them when leupold has better glass I will use them exclusively.

We should probably start another topic for this one but I thought I'd throw in my .02 cents. I bought both a Leupold and Zeiss and compared them side by side and I kept the Leupold. Now, I must mention, I compared a 3.5-10x40 vari-x III and a Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10x44. I found the Leupold just a bit brighter in low light but both were comparable in normal lighting. I liked the reticle on Zeiss much better.

I think if I were to have compared the higher end scopes I'd have seen something completely different, though.

[ 05-31-2002, 06:48: Message edited by: parshal ]

Posts: 249 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 15 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by montero:
... I would expect most of them to have difficulties in learning YOUR language.
some of them will also have difficulties in learning English, as well.

Yeah, well, when I got a job anywhere I worked, I had to be qualified to fill the position. If you can't speak the language, stay the Hell off the phone. Go move boxes or fiddle with the forklift out back.

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rufous, I just got them out of the safe to check, absolutely no wobble...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks again everyone for your help. Thanks for checking Bobby van der Putten. The info from Stubblejumper was especially informative. I have the newer non-recoiling eyepiece and it sounds as if it should not have any wobble. While it may not affect accuracy that it does wobble I am going to send it back again anyway. Rufous.