New
Find
Notify
Tools

Carlsbad New Mexico Hunting Question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hello Members: My son recently moved to Carlsbad NM, which got me thinking about hunting in that area. Beyond the obvious issue of drawing a permit as a non-resident, can anyone comment on hunting in the Carlsbad area, particularly for pronghorn or mule deer? Thanks in advance.

Thanks, Dad, for taking me into the Great Outdoors.

Posts: 226 | Location: Western Maryland | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good Barbary sheep in that area..Good mule deer..Definitely Antelope..Some might not believe, but there is actually a decent size herd of elk somewhere in that area..I have had too many people to see them to doubt it..

Posts: 188 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 31 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lee is correct on the Barbary and mule deer. Problem is drawing a tag. The Guadalupe Mtns were historically one of the best spots in the state for deer and the Barbary's have been doing well down there for the past few years. As for antelope and elk, you better plan on driving a little. There are very few antelope in Eddy County and hunting elk there would be a big ? in my mind. I'd rather drive to Roswell (70 mi) for antelope and Weed/Pinon/Cloudcroft (100 mi) to hunt elk. Of course, the biggest factor in the lack of deer permits in the Guadalupe Mtns is the plethora of Mtn Lions that reside there so find a good hound man and catch yourself a lion.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 937 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Badboyz
posted Hide Post
Pagris,

Sent you a PM.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I know there are some elk in the mountains, but I left out the part, that I sure would not try to put in for them there..Pancho is right area 34 is your best bet for elk, and 36 is where the whopper antelope come from.Neither one is very far from Carlsbad.

Posts: 188 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 31 March 2002Reply With Quote