New
Find
Notify
Tools

George Soros buys Marlin?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I know this rumor went around when Cypress first bought up firearm companies, but I am hearing it again.

I am hearing rumors as part of the Freedom Group/Remington bankruptcy that George Soros, liberal hater of American private firearm ownership, bought Marlin.

Folks are also saying Remington has stopped production and are selling manufacturing equipment to pay off debt.

Anyone confirm this? I can find nothing just shop talk.

Posts: 11369 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chapter 11 bankruptcy not for liquidation. Is used to rearrange debt and raise money. The attached article is 10 months old and shows money for debts was obtained. They might need to or be investing in new equipment, etc.

Gunmaker Remington says it will file for bankruptcy
https://money.cnn.com/.../remi...tcy-plans/index.html

Feb 12, 2018 · Remington, one of the oldest and most well-known gun companies in the world, plans to file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection. The plan would allow Remington …

Posts: 501 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 18 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
here's an article on the Marlin Purchase story. If I were out to run the gun company would buy one bigger and more important that Marlin.

FALSE: Marlin Firearms Bought Out by George Soros - snopes.com
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/stripped-marlin

Oct 10, 2015 · Claim: George Soros is buying up and shutting down firearms manufacturers, including Marlin Firearms, through an outfit called the Freedom Group.

Posts: 501 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 18 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
here is the bigger question?
would it even matter?
nobody buys a marlin or Remington anymore anyway.
the big loss would be the outlying company's they bought that put them in the bankruptcy.

Posts: 4987 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I advise guys who a interested in Marlin firearms to look at guns made before Remington shot the quality all to hell.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Must be old rumors recycled into new.

I really am amazed how Remington failed.

Just about everyone who customizes rifles is a 700 person. It was the AR for accerorizing before the AR.

Push feeds dominate the market and it was the push feed.

In Chapter 11s business assets are often sold.

I am worried for Dakota.

Posts: 11369 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
Must be old rumors recycled into new.

I really am amazed how Remington failed.

Just about everyone who customizes rifles is a 700 person. It was the AR for accerorizing before the AR.

Push feeds dominate the market and it was the push feed.

In Chapter 11s business assets are often sold.

I am worried for Dakota.

Cause the gun business is largely a handgun business. Freedom never had any - why they were always looking at Smith.

Cerberus took out a few dividends - I would not cry for them.

Freedom arms made a lot of sense. The industry needed to be rolled up. The gun business was largely run by financial idiots.

Sandy hook did not help freedom arms. Their indirect lp investor base (pensions) did not want to own it.

I knew the guy who came up with the roll up idea. Smart guys.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote