Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting Shows and Magazines
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted
I'v been Hunting, fishing, and trapping for 35 years. Reading books and magazines about these thing for nearly as long. Just recently in the last 10 years we have a large amount of Hunting and Fishing on T.V. Is it just me or has the writing shifted to products not process. You can't pick up a magazine without every single page ushering up an add for the latest have to have thing. Read an article without hearing all the gear used. Turn on the T.V. and the same here. I know that magazines and T.V. live and die on advertisements. But just once in a while I would love to read or watch a story not a sales pitch.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with you but the problem is that the manufacturers pay for the shows so without the adds you have no TV hunting or magazines either.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All any magazine is, is a grand "infomercial" to sell the latest whizbang-bullshit-mumbo-jumbo, piece of shit to people who desperately want to hunt and bag an animal.

The chef

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ted,
Amen. Most magazines these days are indeed full of articles that are little more than thinly veiled advertisements.
The hunting shows are so full of product placement that they become laughable. While it is true that the advertising is necessary to a certain degree, it has come to a point where every show makes it seem like you can not possibly hunt successfully without their latest gizmo.

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am sure the more advertisement crammed in the more money they make which in turn allows the host to go on more hunts!

It is entertainment, plain and simple. I watch more of the History channel, Discovery, and HGTV any more. I canceld all the outdoor programming and I am only loyal to a couple of publications any moe.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i agree with you 100%, but some of the products they advertise sure as hell hit my funny bone

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ted,
I understand exactly what you mean. To a point I am envious as they get to "hunt" as a job. I am not jelous though, someone else tells them what to wear, the optics they use, the firearm they use, how they should smell, ect. They are entertainment and marketing, plain and simple.
That is exactly why I read the "old classics" by Whelen, Keith, Roosevelt, Mann, Ainger, ect. These men taught you something as you read along. Thought, deductive reasoning, and observation skills are not taught or fostered in our socity anymore.
In a land of couch potatos, it is easier to watch than actually do. Trial and error are still the most "fun" ways of learning in "GODS" enviroment.
Doug

Posts: 478 | Location: Central Indiana | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote