THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    LEUPOLD'S VX-III 4.5-14X50MM VARMINT HUNTERS RETICLE?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LEUPOLD'S VX-III 4.5-14X50MM VARMINT HUNTERS RETICLE?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of T/C Nut
posted
Would it work on my .338RUM for big game?

Posts: 608 | Location: Washington | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by T/C Nut:
Would it work on my .338RUM for big game?

I would prefer the 3.5-10 with the boone and crocket reticle for a .338 but each to his own, I have that reticle in an 8.5-25 and it sits on a Heavy Barrelled rem .243 and I feel there best suited to varmint guns my self.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
That's a lot of scope, but if you are stand hunting, looking for that 500yd shot, it will work fine.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I have a 4.5x14 Leupold on a .25-06 that I use for both coyote hunting and deer and I like the higher magnification but am used to it.

I have another with a 50mm objective and probably won't buy any more for big game rifles.

The varminter recticle won't be of any use on big game. Although if you have it and zero the scope like it's not got the extra stuff in there it would be fine to get by with for a while. Then sell it and get what makes better sense, or put it on a fav varmint rifle. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IF YOU are looking for a scope that works for ranging and works about as fast as you can think try these folks.

I have used Shepherds for years and they simply work and like Leupold the warranty is for life if you have a problem.

I have taken Caribou at over 500yds with my .340Wby and my longest shot was puting down a car hit deer dragging itself across a beet field at over 600yds with my heavy bbl .308. Once you know the system you can make the adjustment on moving critters on the fly with no problems.

http://www.shepherdscopes.com/

NEVER fear the night. Fear what hunts IN the night.

Posts: 624 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the VXIII 4.5-14X 40mm version with the varmint reticle for moose hunt. It is not good for short range shooting (<150 yd) especially with woods and brush in the background. The reticle is too fine to get a good point of reference even if you turn it down to 4.5x.

I have it mounted on the 300WM for >250 yards shoots.

Danny

Posts: 157 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: 09 February 2003Reply With Quote