Find
Notify
Tools

Inline Muzzleloader Scope?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted
Hello, I drew an elk tag in NM in a "primitive weapons" area. This will be my 1st elk hunt, and I want to give myself every advantage. While comfortable using open sites, I am considering getting a scope for my new T/C Omega .50.

Question is: Should I just mount one of my existing scopes (Leupold 3x9), or look to get a shotgun/ML scope (such as T/C's or Leupold's more expensive 1-4x20 or 2-7x33 at around $250-$275)?

I understand the technical differences, but wonder what the "real life" advantages might be of the "ML" scope. I would expect to be using this combo in the years that follow. THANKS for any and all suggestions! Bill

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill,

I'm in the same boat your are so I don't yet have any first hand experience. Scroll down now if that's all you're looking for on this topic.

I've only had my ML for about one month now and given the hot MO weather I can't get but about 20 shots down range per session, but I'm very pleased so far with a Leupold 1.5-5x20 I got used from Auction Arms, ~$280. They had two up for sale at the time and I bid on the newer model.

This scope has a good reputation according to several folks with whom I've spoken and my centerfire gunsmith likes them as well and he's mounted thousands of scopes on client's rifles through the years. I trust him implicitly.

I actually bought this model for two reasons. One was this hunt and the other was to serve as a scope for my bigger rifle, a FN Mauser 404 Jeffery.

Also, if you don't feel comfortable buying a used scope I'd say that Leupold has a good reputation for fixing problems whether you're the original owner or not. Having said that though you might want to be careful as there isn't that terribly much time left before your hunt.

I hope that helps. Good luck.

Reed

Posts: 649 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 29 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TANSTAAFL
posted Hide Post
If you are dead set on a variable I suggest either the scope mentioned above, or the VX-II 1-4. I have an older (gloss) M8 2.5x20 on a Knight and for the ranges it and I can shoot at it is plenty.

I would think that anything over 4 or 5x is more than you need considering the point blank range a muzzleloader can make.

Good Luck,
Bob

Posts: 361 | Location: Stevens Point, WI, USA | Registered: 20 June 2002Reply With Quote