Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

American Bison Question
 Login/Join

posted
Is a 7.5 year old Buffalo Bull (Bison) likely to be of maximum trophy size?

Thanks ... Nick

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know about trophy size (genetics and diet enter the picture) but he'd be as big as he will ever get. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
<500 AHR>
posted
Nickudu,

I second what Dan said. By 7.5 years a bison is fully grown and in his prime. Should be a nice trophy anyway even if not a record holder. Any idea how tall the animal is at the shoulder? Also look at the size and length of the horns. Bison are somewhat like goats with regard to horn dimensions.

Todd E

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
After 7.5 years they will fill out in the body, but there horns have done most of the growing they are going to do. Their horns grow kinda like goats. The bases will get thicker but they will only add a 1/4" per year after 6 or so, and the may break their tips off (which does add some character).

FWIW, Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
That's what I needed fellas and I thank you all very much. One further question please:

Anything "improper" about having an American Buffalo trophy on the wall from your perspective?

posted Hide Post
Nick,
I've got a bison on the wall, and it (along with the kudu and zebra) get the most attention).

They are a BIG mount (44"hx36"wx37"d).

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
<leo>
posted
Bison have long ceased to be endangered so what's the problem, they are quite a trophy.

<Juneau>
posted
Ditto GeorgeS!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Not much looks better than a nicely done bison mount. - Dan

posted Hide Post
Well, you guys have made this a rather easy decision process and I thank you all very much.

<Mr.16 gauge>
posted
One of my life long dreams was to take a bison with my .54 cal Hawken rifle, and last January I did just that. Instead of having a head mount done, I had the hide tanned into a "buffalo robe". It cost about half as much as a head mount & is nice and warm to curl up in next to the fire place while reading books on hunting, muzzleloading, ect. In addition, I still have the skull, so if I decide I want a skull mount, I can have that done also. I'm not knocking a head mount, mind you....just offering other options. Good luck on your hunt (and the meat is excellent!)

------------------
If your dog thinks that you are the greatest, don't go seeking a second opinion!

<500 AHR>
posted
Nickudu,

You can have the robe and head mounted. Then you have it all, although the robe will be somewhat smaller. From personal experience I would recommend that you use that 505 Gibbs of yours. Bison, and in particular, adult bulls are very very tough and seem not to understand the concept of shock.

My personal favorite shot is the front on head shot. This is my aiming technique, which has worked very well for me in the past. Just draw yourself an "X" that is made by diagonal lines from left horn to right eye and right horn to left eye and put yourself a 600 grain soft point were the lines intersect. That ought to put him right down.

Heart shots might mean a chase even with the 505!

Now I have shot many many bison as it is my favorite meat. I do have some small experience here. So don't beat me too badly.

Todd E

posted Hide Post
Todd E,
I should bring the .505?! Really? I'd love to but I thought I look ridiculous, with all the guys taking big bulls with sharps and muzzleloaders etc., etc. Are shooting ranges usually fairly close? I was planning on bringing the .375 but it would be rather cool to christen the .505 on a monster bison. Where have you hunted them? Any suggestions along these lines?

<500 AHR>
posted
I have shot bison in the Dakotas, Nebraska, and Montana. Shot distances are usually less than 100 yards. I have never had to shoot over about 50 yards. I would definitely use the 505 with irons as you should be able to get pretty damn close. Keep in mind that a bison like you are describing is probably close to 7' at the shoulder so it can be a little unnerving. I mean bison are unpredictable as hell, they may just stand there and let you walk right up to them or they may take of and run (hopefully not over the top of you).

You 375 will work and if you were shooting cows I would recommend it as they are almost always in a herd and can be difficult to get a frontal head shot on. But since you target is a big bull he will be hanging out with his buddies (small loose herd) so you should be able to get in front of him and shoot him as I previouly described with devasting effect.

I personally wouldn't use a muzzle loader on a bison, because it is simply too margin IMHO. My brother in law used a 58 caliber Springfield on his one and only bison (shortly before he became a member PETA) and that was a complete fiasco. I mean he shot it three times in the chest before the beast took any notice. Enough of that.

Get that 505 out and christen it!! A magnificent DGR like that is a terrible thing to waste.

Todd E

posted Hide Post
Todd,
Thanks. If you get a chance, email me as to ranch or outfitter recommendations. Thanks.

<X-Ring>
posted
Nick
Our secertary at work and her husband have a small American Bison heard in the neighboring town of Loma. If you want allot of info on their groth and stuff or anything else E mail me and I will give you her Email address. I can't post it here with out her say so.
I haven't ever shot one but get allot of meat from time to time, and it is great. I don't know why people always say it tastes just like beaf. Wrong! It's simular but better!
X-Ring AKA Scooter

------------------
Praise the Lord, and pass the ammunition!

If your living like there is no HELL, you better be right!

posted Hide Post
Thanks X-Ring,
Oh, I have eaten it quite a few times and it's quite good but not like moose!

<X-Ring>
posted
Sadly I have only eaten moose once in my life when a friends dad shot one and gave me some stakes. I can say with out a doubt it is my favorite meat in all the world. At least the ones I have tried so far.
X

------------------
Praise the Lord, and pass the ammunition!

If your living like there is no HELL, you better be right!

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Nick and X, Make mine another vote for bison! I have tried 'em all, especially moose (grew up in moose country, the only beef I ever ate was from McDonalds), but bison is definately #1 (followed by sheep, then moose and elk).

Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<500 AHR>
posted
Nick,

Want kind of bison shooting are you after. What I mean is, there are outfits that provide room and board and scouting and then shooting, and then there are the no BS outfits that you jump in the truck pick out a bull and bang! I prefer the latter.

There is one more type, which I haven't hunted. They inform you of the historical/cultural importance of the bison to North America and it original inhabitants and then you may dress up like an indian and take one with a bow or shoot it with a muzzle loader (or something like that).

Let me know what you are after and I will try to provide some references via email.

Todd E

posted Hide Post
Todd,
At the risk of sounding silly,I want the biggest, baddest bull I can find. Having no delusions of this being a "hunt, I would like the experience to be as far from a shoot" as possible. Canada is out, so I am looking hard right now and have found some very interesting websites.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a site that you should check out before setting the pen to check, The booking agent is a forum member "rimrock". Myself and a friend did a buffalo hunt last august and it was a great time. The hunt is just NW of Yellowstone Park between Big Sky and Gallitan Gateway Montana on a ranch of 120,000 acres. I am not afiliated with this but they posted a picture of the management bull I took with a 45-70. The herd numbers in the thousands and if you can't find the bull your looking for there you might have to go to a different continent

http://www.cowboyhvn.com/bison_hunts.htm

Posts: 2298 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a buffalo steak once in Oklahoma, and brought some ground buffalo back. It was all great, the ground didn't shrink like beef and tasted much better.
Good luck and good shooting

Posts: 839 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigB
posted Hide Post
Todd E,

If you could supply any info on the no BS type buffalo hunts it would be appreciated.

Thanks

BigB

Posts: 1401 | Location: Northwest Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nickudu,

Just out of curiosity, why is Canada out? Prices can be a bit steep but it simply must be worth it! Hunts.net books for an outfitter in N. alberta that showed hunts for $4K. I am booking a cancellation hunt in the Yukon today that actually undercut that. This hunt is actually costing me less than cowboy heaven shows for their trophy bulls plus I get the added benefit of freezing my a$$ off!
That said, a cowboy heaven renegade bull may be in my future as soon as they call me.

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
here in Alberta, Bison are not classified as a game animal or a domestic animal. What that means is if it is on public (read "crown land") property you can shoot it. i know a few gents who have gone into the NE part of the rpovince to hunt the herds that wabder out of Wood Buffalo Park. It's very wild country, no roads or anything to speak of, and getting the animal out after it's down is a real bitch, but it's about as close as you can get to free range bison. - Dan

one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
You can arrange a Buffalo hunt on Kodiak Island.

Ted Nugent took one with a bow there. If I recall the ranchers name is Burton. He had been raising cows, but the Brown Bears were killing too many of them.

I sat across the table for Mr. Burton at a Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation dinner, very nice guy.

I glad you mentioned that it's not much of a hunt, because it's not, but think of the fun you can have on Kodiak.

------------------
Brian
The 416 Taylor WebPage!

Posts: 778 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote