New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are we not getting to fancy
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
How many people actually go into the bush to practise? Walk a cut line, shoot up hill? When was the last time you shot through trees at a target. My home is on a small lake in Central British Columbia Canada. I shoot from ranges of 20 to 300 meters. I'm hard pressed to shoot farther as I know my rifle can do it but can I?
My point is. If all the experts got out and practised in real hunting situations, wouldn't they spend less time on MOA and more time on what the hell works? A 444 Marlin would suck in Kansas or a SA veldt, in my case Saskatchewan but a 243 or 7mm may be just the ticket. This isn't a topic more then a ranting! Kids don't take yourself so seriously.

I have noticed that the people who hunt take a much more practical attitude then the "bench rest" boys. But they should. A rolled roast tastes better then a rolled target.

Yor views

Posts: 78 | Location: Western Canada | Registered: 23 February 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
I don't do a lot of "practise" but I do a lot of hunting. In the dry season I'd get out a least once a week and since moving up to the Territory, my off hand shooting at moving and stationary targets has improved remarkably. I'm also handling my firearms a lot more than I did down south.

Bakes

Posts: 8047 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I see you live in the Northern Territory. I was scheduled for a mining job near Katherine a few years ago with a Canadain company called Kilborn Eng. Never did go, bummer!! Now I travel to the Gold Coast. I may live in the Canadian bush but a bucket of prawns on the beach is just damned civilized (haha). You and I should swap hunting grounds one day. It would be very interesting. I'll trade you a moose hunt for a water buffalo hunt anytime!

Posts: 78 | Location: Western Canada | Registered: 23 February 2003Reply With Quote
<Ranger Dave>
posted
If you don't want to be fancy buy a 30-06 and be done with it. Learn to shoot your rifle and enjoy.

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
BH
Shame you didn't make it up my way. Buff are hard to get as most are stock around here, but there are plenty of pigs, donkeys and a few scrub bulls!

Bakes

Posts: 8047 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I sit out on the porch with my HUNTING rifle and shot at whatever will land.red birds,black birds,crows,whatever I aint picky.

A red bird from the sitting position with the rifle across your knees at 200 yards is a pretty tough target.you should see what the RUM does to black birds.

Posts: 286 | Location: Gladdice,Tn | Registered: 17 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of OldFart
posted Hide Post
To me, its a two step process. First I spend the time on the bench developing a accurate load. Second, I take it in the bush. People may think its strange shooting chucks with a 300 wby, but after practicing on them all year, a Elk makes a awful big target.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I grew-up shooting jackrabbits with deer rifles. It was the best practice in the world. Trouble is, you grow up, get a job, develop responsibilities, and have little time to get out and just roam.

Near most metropolitan areas you are lucky if you can find a 100-yard range. Dallas has one 200-yard range that I'm aware of.

If you live in an area where you can easily step-out and practice hunting conditions and scenarios you are a lucky man.

Posts: 13870 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
you can call me lucky.500 yard range out the basement door.  -

Posts: 286 | Location: Gladdice,Tn | Registered: 17 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bellhender;
I agree, some have way to much to much time on there hands. they are superior marksman off the bench but give'em a live moving target and LMAO they can't slap their butt with both hands! For example a good friend of mine kicks my butt at the rifle range with consistant regularity but on deer, the last seven years he's made texas-heart-shots on every one! [Eek!] [Big Grin]

[ 04-05-2003, 18:55: Message edited by: Marsh Mule ]

Posts: 588 | Location: Central Valley | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My shooting gets a bit sour during the winter. In the summer, I'm up in the mountains at least three days a week walking and shooting with a centerfire rifle.

One of the most fun shooting practices for me is with the black powder clubs here. All of the shoots are trail walks that put you in realistic to improbable situations to shoot from. For instance, there is one where you are prone shooting through a barrel at a target. Another, sit on an old exercise bike and shoot while peddling. Tough one to do without laughing. Lots of targets at various ranges, and placed so they aren't necessarily easy to see, and placed in positions that may require leaning, squatting, sitting, off balance, anything devious we can think up.

Keeps you sharp!

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote