New
Find
Notify
Tools

Montana Safaris
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anybody ever book an elk hunt in the Bob Marshall Wilderness Area with Rocky Heckman, who runs Montana Safaris out of Choteau, MT? I'm looking at a 2010 late-September (during the rut) trophy hunt with him. Thanks, Bill.

Posts: 259 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 27 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lhanson8
posted Hide Post
First, I don't know anybody who hunts the Bob from the east side.

I do know several who hunt it, and pack in from Spotted Bear (north end of the wilderness). The groups that go farther in (18 miles +) seem to do better than the others.

As far as trophy quality, there are good bulls in there. The group that has the best success usually get one good one (330'ish) and the rest are decent bulls (around 300). The best bull they have ever got was in the 370's and they seem to get one in the 350's every few years or so.

It's not a season I will ever hunt.

Oh yeah, make sure you take get some pepper spray if you go. The Bob has lots of grizzly bears.

Posts: 82 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 20 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ihanson8,

This will be a pack-in hunt, about 8 hours on horseback from the starting off point (not sure exactly where on the east side of the BMWA). It will be an 8-day guided hunt, using horses daily to get to and from the base tent camp.

Posts: 259 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 27 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill,

One of the first places I would check is with the National Forest Service for the area you want to hunt. Outfitters have to have permits to legally hunt on national forest lands.

The Montana division of wildlife should be able to help you as well.

I would also get many references from the outfitter. Both successful and not successful hunters!

Best of luck on your hunt!

Posts: 77 | Location: Texas | Registered: 04 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Bob also gets hammered from the Ovando side and from the east side of the Swan on the early hunts. I quit hunting that area for archery and the early rifle season 4 yrs ago. Too many people in the middle of nowhere for my liking. The bears were only a problem on the bad berry years.

Posts: 101 | Location: Montana | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Thibeault:
Ihanson8,

This will be a pack-in hunt, about 8 hours on horseback from the starting off point (not sure exactly where on the east side of the BMWA). It will be an 8-day guided hunt, using horses daily to get to and from the base tent camp.

Sounds like a Wilderness Experience!!!!!I am betting you will be damn lucky to see any Elk.Better off to hunt with an Outfit that leases private land.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote