Find
Notify
Tools

Kansas Whitetail
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Quarter Round
posted
I have submitted for a draw on Kansas whitetails and of course being optimistic I'm starting the other preliminary plans for this fall. The rifle hunt will take place in early December. Comments and suggestions would be appreciated.

One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
have fun! =)

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where you from and where will you be hunting? Will you be hunting on private land or walk-in hunting ground? There is a lot of difference in terrain from one part of state to another sometimes. BTW, is this archery, ML, or centerfire?

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Quarter Round
posted Hide Post
I from WV and will be hunting North of Great Bend on private land with centerfire. Assuming I get a draw. Roll Eyes

One of Us
posted Hide Post
QR, I have not hunted in that area and haven't talked to other who have. I think this area should be OK for whitetail. Out further west of there the whitetail aren't as plentiful now as they used to be. If you can hunt on ground that has a wooded creek on it you should have a better chance to see more deer, but remember our KS rifle season is post rut. Hope you draw and find a monster. Good Luck

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lucky's right. Look for wooded draws or creek bottoms and glass then thoroughly. They will hide in the underbrush and sometimes come out only to stretch and drink. If there is a high doe population, they could also still be looking for those secondary does that have not been bred. That is exactly how I got mine this year....one doe comes into heat for the second time, three bucks following. Smiler

The other things are, pray for cold so you can get back to where you are hunting without getting stuck in the mud if the area is dirt roads and hope for snow. It certainly makes them more visible. You will need all the help you can get.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
squeeze, dont jerk, the trigger.

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good luck to you, Quarter Round. You're going to need it. Kansas has always had the most restrictive Non-Resident draws of any state I can think of. You'll have the best luck drawing muzzle-loader or archery tags. They just turned all their draw rules upside down again and did away with the transferrable landowner tags--which is where almost all the centerfire non-res licenses came from. Great hunting if you can navigate the maze.

The best thing to do is move there for a year, buy a life-time hunting license--which makes you a resident forever regardless of residency--and move back to where you really want to be. I wasn't smart enough to do it way back when.

Don't let so much reality into your life that there's no room left for dreaming.

Posts: 263 | Location: SE Colorado | Registered: 24 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Quarter Round
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input. The outfitter I hope to hunt with gave me the same general advice about creek drains and wooded draws. Apparently the private land is near a waterfowl refuge. I guess around July I would find out if I made the draw.

Is it worth while to pack a spotting scope along with the binocs?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We hunt Western Kansas when I can draw. The deer are found in the breaks and draws and small depressions with a little brush. We glass an area first and then walk them. Shooting jumping deer or trying to catch them before they see you. I don't carry a spotting scope, in the manner we hunt. But it wouldn't be a bad idea.

In our area, muzzleloader tags are much harder to draw. All nonresident tags should be easier to draw, now that landowner tags will be given back to the nonresident draws. The problem with Kansas is access to lands. Drawing a tag is the easy part, writing a check to gain access is also easy. But if you like to hunt and not pay big money, access to good lands is hard to come by.

Posts: 788 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote