Find
Notify
Tools

One up the spout...
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted
I would be interested to hear if there is much difference in the condition US and European hunters carry their rifles � slung/ unslung loaded but rounds below the bolt or loaded with one in the chamber.

Two reasons for offering up this topic for debate � 1. I read in Boddington�s Safari Rifles that he would never sling a rifle made ready (with chambered round) and 2. on a recent thread mention was made of the need to have a bolt that could be manipulated quietly (suggesting that the round would only be chambered just prior to the shot).

This runs against the UK norm of chambering around and having the rifle slung when moving though the woods, glassing for deer with binoculars. The aim being to see them before they see you, allowing careful quarry identification (sex/age/condition) before a deliberate shot into the engine room.

Posts: 1978 | Location: UK and UAE | Registered: 19 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I read of a lot of guides that think that you shouldn't carry in the chamber. But thats for their safety not yours. I read about a bear attack in AK. guy hunting by himself miles from anybody else bear attacks cannot get shell in chamber fast enough gets mauled. I wonder way you wouldn't have a shell in the chamber. We do a lot still hunting and deer drives if you went around with an unload gun you never get the shot off. I alway thought that if you in dangerous game country why would you want your rifle unload. That would be like going up against a person arm with a gun when yours was not loaded. Over the years there have been a lot of unintended discharges when people load and unload their weapons. For me, I am going to carry my weapon loaded and ready to use. Safety on, finger off the trigger. Good gun handling and watching where your muzzle is pointed is the most important way to prevent accidents.

Posts: 19421 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Steve H>
posted
Hi Guys
Here in New Zealand it is common practice to carry your rifle with a round chambered but with the bolt closed but not locked it is then a simple matter of snicking the bolt down while lifting it to your shoulder(assuming a bolt action is used)

Steve H

<Don G>
posted
I carry with one up the spout, bolt closed and safety on.

With whitetail deer you get 5 seconds if you are lucky.

I do try to practice muzzle discipline, and it bothers me when others do not.

Don

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Deerdogs,

As soon as we are out of the truck, both my PH and myself chamber a round and put the safety on.

We only unchamber our rifles when we have shot an animal and have to lean our rifles on a tree, or when we get back to the truck.

I will almost guarantee you that Boddington carries his rifle with one up the spout, never mind what he says in print!

He seems to come up with all sorts of silly things lately. Like saying that some PH in Africa refuse to book a hunt with anyone using a rifle with a muzzle brake!

------------------
saeed@ emirates.net.ae

www.accuratereloading.com

Posts: 67218 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
I have carried rifles Hunting and in War. Most of the time if I am on my way to or from a hunting stand its dark and I won't chamber a round until I'm in the tree or before I climb down. If I am still hunting then of course its one up the spout since the quick shot may be the only one.I have seen deer drives with people shooting at running deer with their friends not 100 yds away on the other side of the woodlot. I have seen rifles and pistols go off even with the safety on when dropped or struck by another object so muzzle control is probably the most important factor in case of accidental discharge. I think if it passes the common sense test then its probably OK and sometimes we need to ask ourselves is this a safe thing to do ?

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
If I'm on a horse and the rifle is in the scabbard, it is loaded but no round in the chamber. If I'm in my truck, it's completely empty- it's the law around here anyway.

If it is in my total control- in my hands or slung, it has a round in the chamber. Safteis that lock the bolt, like the a Rugers, are excellent. I've had branches catch and open the bolt on Model 700 rifles. And if a stick can open a bolt, it can probably knock the safety off or pull the trigger.

Knowing where your muzzle is pointed is the most important thing.

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most of my "big game" hunting is for northern MI whitetails. Back in the day, I most enjoyed still hunting; now, in areas with high deer populations, still hunting seems like a great way to get shot. But I digress -- I always carried a loaded, sometimes slung rifle. Now that I have discovered Mausers with striker-blocking safeties, I would have even less hesitation to do this.

Todd

post-script: I have to agree with Saeed above (his comment about Boddington carrying loaded). I recently read an old story, about a western game warden going after a man-killing bear, and pausing to load his rifle AT the scene of the killing. The "snick" of the bolt closing triggered the hiding bear to charge him. I'm not sure if it's a true story or not, but if so the warden/hunter must be the dumbest man in history.

[This message has been edited by Todd Getzen (edited 08-01-2001).]

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We generally do a bit of stalking in
up-state NY. for the most part the rifles are either slung or held (fingers, of course, away from the triggers) safties on and a round up the spout. the safety stays on until we get a a decent shot at a decent white tail.

Posts: 1723 | Location: wyo | Registered: 03 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the answer tot his question is often determined by the hunting conditions.

Common practice in Australia is a round in the chamber, bolt closed but not turned down.

If you came spotlight shooting with us you would not be real popular with a loaded rifle that has the safety catch on.

However, I guess we are not shooting under conditions where there is "one chance in a lifetime shot to be had"

Although I think I could close the bolt down as quick and maybe quicker than I could let a safety catch off.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a round in the chamber, safety off. If I hunt with someone, I will walk on their right side since I am a left handed shooter. I carry my rifle at the ready with my right hand holding the forearm and my left hand on the small of the stock or pistol grip. The only time I sling my rifle is when I am crossing or climbing an obstacle.

Posts: 598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 16 June 2000Reply With Quote
<BigBores>
posted
Once I am out of the vehicle, I am hunting. That means one in the chamber, safety on, carried "port arms" style.

<mike aw>
posted
When I'm hunting the rifle is loaded and may be slung or unslung depending on the situation. Traveling to or from a hunting area when there is no shooting light or it is past legal shooting time or returning to camp or the vehicle the chamber is empty but the magazine may or may not be loaded. Since I won't hunt from a tree stand that issue is moot.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Chambered round, safety on, slung muzzle down butt forward except when crawling when it's slung muzzle up and the 24" barrel cannot go below 6" above the top of my head.

[This message has been edited by 1894 (edited 08-02-2001).]

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Patrick>
posted
Rifle safety is an enormous issue for newer hunters. If you're out by yourself, do what you want but, if you're with others, the risks at just too great to be careless.
In the vehicle traveling, rifle empty, muzzle down.
In the vehicle hunting, magazine loaded, chamber empty, muzzle down.
On the trail, alone, round chambered, safety on, slung as you wish. When I sling, it's most often underslung, muzzle forward and under control of my strong side hand.
On the trail with others, chamber empty, safety on, if slung, under control and pointed safely.
With others, if time to shoot is eminent or the stalk requires it, take forward position and chamber a round, and make sure others position themselves accordingly.
Always know where your companions are in relation to you and/or game. Know when game may be in between you and your companion or beyond your companion. On passing shots, know your field of safe fire. If unsure, wait for a better opportunity. For many of us, the stalk is most of the sport.