THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Recommendation for Hunt in the Austin, Texas Area?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendation for Hunt in the Austin, Texas Area?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted
A friend and I have to be in Austin, Texas the first week in December, and would be interested in taking a couple of days to hunt something. We realize that we will almost certainly have to pay to hunt and that this is last minute. We are open to pigs, birds, deer, or whatever. Any recommendation for a place to hunt/outfit to hunt with?

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3845 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Too bad Moe Fried died a couple years back.
Owned 9 ranches full of hogs.

Good luck,

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I have two that are on my short list to try.

Patio Ranch

Priour Ranch both are near Kerrville about 1-2 hours west of Austin.

Exotics, hogs and whatever else.

Never been to either one of them but I want to try them in 2020.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just a thought.

Check with Bobby Tomek, Shiner isn't
too far from Austin. He likely might
have some ideas.

It might be worthwhile to contact
Moe Fried's former business there. I
can't rightly recall the name. Might
be in his name. Some big time slabs
of cut n polished rocks for tables and
cabinet tops etc. Just might be his
family has opened up some hog hunting
by now. Wife was shutting it down til
they got things settled after he died.
That was two years ago last I heard.

Good luck,

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Here is one where I have hunted several times over the past 15 years. Some friends and I have hunted mostly exotics and shot feral hogs that were eating the feed put out for the exotics.
You will feel as if in an outdoor zoo as you see game from Blackbuck to Kudu, water buffalo, Bison and a wide variety of critters in between. There is a lodge on the property and hotels and cafes in Hondo. Below are a couple of links with more information :
http://www.actionoutdoors.com/

Richard and daughter at SCI show:
http://www.huntingexoticstexas.com/about.html

Facebook post by a happy hunter:
https://www.facebook.com/pages...o-TX/384573895440587

Link to a hunt story earlier this year on two Texas exotic ranches:
https://www.levergunscommunity...opic.php?f=1&t=74211

Enjoy your visit no matter where you hunt, you'all come back, hear?

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lots of low fenced and high fenced hunts in that area..Llano is the deer capitol of the world..I hunt a couple of family private ranches in that area, but they don't take hunters, but it shouldn't be hard to find one, contact the Chamber of Commerce in some of the smaller towns around Austin, San Anotonio, I know some hunters who found some day hunts and regular weekly hunts or year around that way.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
The first week in December is now over.
Please let us know where you hunted.

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Season doesn't end until Jan. 9th, then the cull hunting begins about then also..I didn't go this year for the first time in ages as my elk hunt took up all of Oct. half of Nov. and now until the Dec. 15th and for the first time in History no elk for me!! Fish and game sold a ton of permits and they elk never came down and Im getting too old and lazy to pack into the back country for a week or two at a time, I just want my yearl cow, we'll see..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Atkinson:
Season doesn't end until Jan. 9th..I didn't go this year for the first time in ages as my elk hunt took up all of Oct. half of Nov. and now until the Dec. 15th and for the first time in History no elk for me!! Fish and game sold a ton of permits and they elk never came down and Im getting too old and lazy to pack into the back country for a week or two at a time, I just want my yearl cow, we'll see..folks trying to get me to Texas to help with the cull, but Id not be able to bring meat home, so not interested in that..cost too much to check boxes of meat on southwest or delta...and I have two deer and half an elk, from last year that are still good.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
We ended up only having a day in Austin, but will probably be going back in the early spring. Thanks for the recommendations and we will hopefully get something put together for the next trip.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3845 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Ray, before you give up on an elk, remember that you can shoot them year round in Texas. Bulls and cows are available.

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

one of us
posted Hide Post
yes sir, but those Texas elk cost a bundle and a Idaho elk cost me about $10.00 give or take a couple of buck..Texas has some awesome huge elk bulls in the Ft. DAvis, Alpine and Marathon area where I was raised, and they are not fenced, but on huge holdings.

The ranches I hunt cows on are big Idaho ranches, and another in Colorado on ocassion and Ive scored a cow about 5 years straight in Idaho, but Fish and Game really screwed the pooch this year and sold 2500 permits in a very small area, guess they needed some more new trucks, surly they knew better...but the kill is very low, as the hunters camped where the elk were and on day one the elk went high and never came down, fish and game got rich and the herd didn't suffer, I suppose theres a little good in everything bad..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120