THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Progress getting in shape for fall hunting

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Progress getting in shape for fall hunting
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm so excited I thought I'd come on and share. I started 10/30 on weight watchers, but from about Christmas till about 3 weeks ago wasn't really following it. I also had added the gym, trying to go three times a week. (missed the last two because of my back, but went this morning).

As of this morning I am down 20lbs! I started at 278, and am shooting for about 215-225 (depending on muscle mass when I get down there, overall it will be about how I feel).

Weather is getting nice so I am going to add cardio. because of my back problems I can walk or I can ride a bike, no jogging or running. This summer as I start going to the mountains I am going to add hiking which I will call "scouting" since I shun the idea of climbing around the mountains without a good reason.

we're waiting for draw results for the Utah deer season in October, so part of this is getting ready for that. part of it is to help my back and be able to keep up with my girls as I get older.

Anybody else going through a get in shape program right now? How's your progress?

Red
PS
I highly recommend weight watchers, I'm not really a diet person, but this I do online and with the iPhone application they have. it has been real simple and it is effective and I don't feel like I'm starving.

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good for you! Weight Watchers dose work if you can stick with it. Years ago my dad shed 90# in about ten months. (Unfortunately, he couldn't keep it off: a lifetime of bad eating habits was too hard to overcome for good, I guess.)
I am getting ready for elk hunting, biking 5-6 days a week (45 min while indoors on my trainer, and then 16-20 mi a day out on the road once it is light enough in the morning) as well as 20-30 min of easy upper body work. Weight loss isn't really the issue for me (though I would not mind losing about ten pounds) but getting my cardio system up to snuff is. Elk hunting is a lot more fun if you don't have to fight gravity so hard. Living at 1000' this is a yearly program for me!

Posts: 571 | Location: southern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 08 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes if one can add some biking into a work out ai find it really helps on the climbing.

I run 4 miles every other day do push ups crunchs and hit the bench 5 days a week well start biking soon. Weather a bit effy here yet.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dago Red:
Anybody else going through a get in shape program right now? How's your progress? ...
Yes. Mad VA told me I had Diabetes and High Blood Pressure in the middle of last year - put "ME" on drugs - Booooo!

So, I changed my eating habits(still have BBQ, but my own sauce) and added even more exercise than normal. The last time I saw the VA Dr. he took me off all the drugs and said I had the Diabetes and Blood Pressure under control.

The REALLLLLLLLY BAD part about this, is that it has never been all that difficult for me to actually loose weight. So, neither problem had to exist for me to begin with. Mad

By the way, the lowest "at rest" Heart-Beat that I've been able to catch so far is 48, or 98/50 and 48. I got up from the bed, walked into the kitchen, sat down and took the reading. My normal "at rest" heart-beat is now once again below 60, so something is going right.

Best of luck to any of you folks who are improving your health.
-----

By the way, I heard from "Doc" and he is also working on improving his fitness. Something about being a "Sex Symbol" and Deer Hunting. Big Grin

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
What I said was, "it's tough being a sex symbol for the wife!" LOL.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
On November 1st of last year my 8 year old grand daughter walked into the family room and said "Papa. you look just like Santa Claus".

So I decided to shave off the beard and lose some weight. I weighed 260 Lbs that day and I weighed in this morning at 220.5 Lbs.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12603 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of only.375H&H
posted Hide Post
I am also in a gym program, mainly for cardio to be able to cope with June hunting in Namibia as PH mentioned "lot,s of walking Roberto" you must be very fit.
Every second day at the gym, and believe me it is not easy, but it is paying off as my overall mood got far better.
Wish you all a good hunting season.

Roberto dancing

Work to live...live to Hunt....

Posts: 91 | Location: Angola | Registered: 07 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Something to do about one month out from your hunt that nobody ever talks about...

Start walking each day with a 25lb day pack and dont forget to wear your boots when you walk to conditin your feet.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wayfaring Stranger
posted Hide Post
Training for fall is year round for me. My biggest problem is finding a mountain to climb here in TX. Where do they hide those damn things???? Guess its the stair master for now.

BTW one learning I had on training for the mountians: I lived in ID and moved to TX and I trained the whole year for my first return hunt. I'd exercised pretty regularly but my calves got sore after the first 45 min of uphill then got doubly sore on the way down. I was a wreck for two days. Exercise your legs in EVERY way possible, even those wierd stationary machines you only ever see women using. And for that matter, leg exercises with free wieghts are even better cause they work stabilizer muscles and help your balance, which means each step takes less energy.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If the 270 won't do it the .338 will, if the 338 won't I can't afford the hunt!

Posts: 320 | Location: Montgomery, Texas | Registered: 29 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
......and a big metal pipe or something to simulate a rifle in your hands!

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting posts. I'm slowly trying to get in shape for my autumn Caribou hunt. I'm 70 and my knees suck so I spend time each day on my elliptical. I add a few minutes a day - not too much. The last time I did it too fast and took a long time to heal. The elliptical's easy on the joints and I'm slowly getting my wind up. Raise the resistance and it's like walking uphill.

Should I be doing this with a backpack?

Oxon

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is a tough one, and the main year-round issue for me (I did not say successful - just year round). I live in Houston and turned 60 last month. About 2 years ago I went from 175 to 190 lbs, which has added to the slowing down. When I went to Idaho in 2007 I looked all over Houston for a hill to climb - stadium stairs were the best. That was also the year we walked across the grand canyon. The biggest natural hill here is a 30 ft bank in a park north of the bayou. I spent a number of afternoons going up and down it. Mostly what I do is bike - we were out in the hill country this weekend.

Liberals believe that criminals are just like them and guns cause crimes. Conservatives believe criminals are different and that it is the criminals that cause crimes. Maybe both are right and the solution is to keep guns away from liberals.

one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dago Red:
I am going to add hiking which I will call "scouting" since I shun the idea of climbing around the mountains without a good reason.

Ha! Ha! Now THAT is funny Dago. I feel the same damn way. If I don't have a fishing rod, rifle, or camera in hand, I feel like it's a wasted opportunity to be doing something useful. Don't know why, but I've felt like that since I was a kid.

Talk about being a fatty... I just celebrated a 1st year anniversary with my wife. She lost weight this year, but the bad news is that I found it! I suppose it's yet another side effect of marriage my "friends" didn't warn me about. Haha!

Good luck with the training (I hate to call it "losing weight"). This thread has motivated me to get my ass in gear too...

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Kenati,

Energy is matter and matter is energy. Neither can be created or destroyed. It can only be tranformed or dissipated.

One person loses it another person gains and some of are let us just say more magnetic than others.

The process of losing weight is the easiest thing in the whole world. Executing the process is another issue... Big Grin

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10096 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I start training for my MT. Lion (december) Hunt in July.
Dont know what I am going to do, but running cant hurt to start things off. Maybe i'll join a gym with my wife, but I do know that I am going to be in the best shape of my life.Smiler
We try to walk in the evenings to keep things moving, but its hard to keep up with.
W.

Posts: 782 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 03 April 2008Reply With Quote