New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best .45-70 Bullet for Big Game
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Looking for your recommendations on the best .45-70 bullet for big game. Can be cast or jacketed. Would like to know why you are recommending this bullet.

------------------
"The Constitution of the United States shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Samuel Adams

Posts: 487 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
<500 AHR>
posted
What are you shooting? Velocity is a rather important part of any bullet selection process so if you know what velocities envelope is that would be helpful also.

I have no experience with the 45-70, but I found that the 405 grain Remington flat point was an excellent killer in my 458 Win Mag for North American game. I loaded them to 2250 fps. Expansion was very good and "killing power" was also. If you are looking at a velocity envelope around 1950 to 2200 fps I would recommend the 405 Remington.

Todd E

<Daryl Elder>
posted
Having used the Nosler partition in my '06 and 9.3x64 for years, that is the bullet I will work up loads for in my 45-70 for bears, elk, and mooses; 300 gr. @ 2000fps should do the trick! Another good choice may be the Barnes-X, but I haven't found any yet in my redneck-of-the-woods.

[This message has been edited by Daryl Elder (edited 03-03-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been using Remingtons 405 gr. flat point as well. It has done well so far. Punched a nice clean in and out hole on a large Alaska/Yukon moose @ 125 yards. The bullets are cheep to shoot too.

Daryl

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Woodleigh 45/70 405 gr flat point.

------------------

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<hunting1>
posted
My $.02 is Rem 405gr and H350FP. Cant go wrong with either on any N American game animals. Good shooting!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was going to recomend the Remington 405's, but I was a little late. They work well for me, and are cheap enought for plenty of practice.
Good luck and good shooting

Posts: 849 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
A great big-game bullet for the 45/70 is the Gould hollowpoint design of the 19th century. It is currently listed as the Lyman .457122HP. From my mould, this bullet weighs 345 grains cast from wheelweights. I heat-treat the BASE of these bullets, (leaving the nose portion softer) so they can be drive fast (1900-2100), but don't shatter on impact. I use an inverted Hornady gas-check on top of the powder charge, because it is a plain-base bullet designed originally for black powder. Ruger No. 1 load, 60 grains of 3031. Good luck!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
All depends on your personal preferences, your rifle and your target. For my money it's to be found on my webpage at:
http://www.iastate.edu/~codi/PPB/PPB.html

It has lots of advantages - like it won't copper or lead foul your rifle, won't fragment, penetration is 100%. You can make them yourself, and they have a track record that will beat any bullet on the market.

I'm sure your milage may differ

Good luck,
Brent

Posts: 2257 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote