Notify
Tools

Scimitar Oryx in TX...Updates???
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Doug Pisano
posted
Hi All,

My friend and I are planning a few days in and around Kerrville in November for Scim Oryx (among others) and I'm wondering if there are any updates to the possible addition of them to the "endangered species" act?

Also, what do you think of the notion that even if the new law doesn't go into effect, what are the chances that the available stock will be sufficiently "thinned" (so that hunting them would not be worthwhile)in anticipation of it?

Thanks in advance!

drdougrx

Please enjoy my hunting photos if you wish!
http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx/

Posts: 84 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Some places have "sufficiently thinned" their herds, some have completely liquidated, and others have not touched their herds (in hopes of the law going through so they will be able to charge double or triple the price). There are still plenty of places with healthy herds of Oryx right now.....but the rumors of the law passing has definitely caused more to be shot in the last 2 years.

Depending on how much you are willing to spend.....I know the 777 Ranch has a healthy herd of Scimitar Horned Oryx and will definitely still have them in November....but they are quite expensive there ($4,500 + daily fees).

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3107 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Doug Pisano
posted Hide Post
Thank-you Eland!

I was thinking of calling Ken Wilson of Sportsman-on-Film. I've hunted with him a few times before with great success. I was also thinking of Indian Head (at Ken's suggestion) because I also want to add aoudad.

A Scim is NOT worth double or triple or even $4,500 to me. I appreciate the response!

drdougrx

Please enjoy my hunting photos if you wish!
http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx/

Posts: 84 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote