THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Does win rifled slugs are harder than the other makers?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does win rifled slugs are harder than the other makers?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi
I read in a local gun magzin that win slugs are harder than the other brands and are more suitable for boar hunting! fals or true please give your opinion on this matter.
regards
danny

Posts: 1127 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
Brennekes seem to be the hardest I've come across. (I assume we're talking shotgun slugs?)

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
Wolf also has some very hard slugs. They are made in Germany and look just like a Brenneke. I wouldn't be surprised if they were even made by them.

bowhuntr

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
Does Remington still make the solid copper ones with the petals that break off leaving a solid shank behind?

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey,
i�m not quiete sure for which kind of hunting you like to use the " Flintenlaufgechosse ( FLG) " like Brenneke and .....

First of all, you have to be sure with which Slug your Drilling, shotgun or combined gun shoots the best groups!
So if u ask me, don�t go for a special brand.. go for the slug with the best precision.
At the end, the boar isn�t interested what brand u are shooting... the key to the success is where u place the shot.

Notice:
Be carefull, Brenneke build special slugs for rifled bores and these are not recommended for choked bores!!!

And, a rifle shot is much better than a hit with a brenneke.
And i woulkd recommend that u don�t shoot further than max. 50 meters, better 35meters!

All the best

Konstantin

Posts: 334 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Winchester that I shot my deer (whitetail doe approx 140lbs or 70kilos)with last year(1oz, 3" max dram) at 14 paces pretty much flattened. I shot it in the spine where it turns and connects to the ribcage. The slug shattered the spine, but didn't penetrate any further. I have seen Brenekke's penetrate about 1 meter (Texas heart shot)

Posts: 196 | Location: MN, USA | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Winchester actually has 3 types of shotguns slugs.
The Supreme saboted 385 gr Nosler partition at 1900 fps is a very good load, if you have a rifled barrel.
The Winchester / BRI saboted slug. It is shaped like an hourglass and pretty hard, 400 grains and .50". For rifled barrels.
Last is the standard Foster type slug for non-rifled barrels. These are pretty soft.
Personally, I use Brenneke's in a Beneli M-3 S-90 for deer.
Guess I should answer your question while I am at it. The various (Remington copper solid & Federal Barnes Expander)copper slugs are very hard but I have seen some poor penetration from them. I think that the deepest penetrating slug for smooth barrels is the old style Brenneke, which they now call the Black Magic over here. I have yet to buy these, I have plenty of the originals yet.
On Iowa whitetails, the Foster type slugs typically zip right through the deer. The copper hollow points tend to stay inside, while Brennekes blow right through them.

[ 10-04-2003, 07:34: Message edited by: DaveC ]

Posts: 694 | Location: Des Moines, Iowa, USA | Registered: 09 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sellier & Ballot make a slug called the "S ball plastique"

It's like section of thread from a copper bolt, encases in a sabot.

The do not deform at all in pigs, usually overpenetrating and leaving a horrifying wound channel like a huge flat nosed, threaded solid.

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote