THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    PROPOSAL TO ELIMINATE NON-RESIDENT SHEEP TAGS IN NEW MEXICO

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PROPOSAL TO ELIMINATE NON-RESIDENT SHEEP TAGS IN NEW MEXICO
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
https://www.wildsheepfoundatio...p-tags-in-new-mexico

PROPOSAL TO ELIMINATE NON-RESIDENT SHEEP TAGS IN NEW MEXICO
March 14, 2022
posted in: News

At a recent public meeting in New Mexico, a preliminary review of the Bighorn Sheep Rules was heard by the State Game Commission. The biggest issue discussed was the allocation of resident and non-resident sheep draw permits. Proposals presented by some individuals and sportsman’s organizations sought to increase bighorn sheep hunting opportunities for residents. Of the 50 state-wide permits, the discussion centered around the 7 permits available for non-resident. This discussion resulted in a push-pull debate over out-of-state hunters, outfitting, wild sheep conservation funding, and the historic success the state has seen in recovering its wild sheep resources.

The proposed rule changes, if adopted by the Commission, would eliminate all 7 non-resident draw allocations. As a result, non-residents would not be able to participate in the draw permit process for bighorn sheep in New Mexico. Besides the loss of revenue to the state from the non-resident applications and these higher price permits once drawn, there is a real threat of other collateral damage. This is the loss of support from non-residents to purchase raffle and auction permits and donors to wild sheep enhancement programs if they are locked out of the draw.

In reference to the historically successful wild sheep recovery programs in New Mexico noted above, funded by stakeholders from across the US and Canada, WSF and B&C have opposed this action.

The NM Game Commission has chosen to turn the issue over to the State Attorney General’s office for review and Comment. Bottom line: This discussion over New Mexico bighorn sheep would be dramatically different if it were not for the decades of support brought by non-resident hunters that have significantly contributed to successfully growing the state’s sheep population. The discussion would be, why don’t we have more sheep? Real conservation work is growing the pie for everyone, not fighting over the slices.

READ the letters to the New Mexico State Game Commission from WSF and the Boone and Crockett Club and New Mexico Wild Sheep Foundation.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9410 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It seems this is becoming a theme, at least across the west, where OTC opportunity shrinks every year as we are "discovered". There is a real "thing" in the anti 3R movement- meaning some level of organization against promoting Recruitment, Retention and Reactivation of hunters. If there is any interest check out The Angry Bowhunter. There is some good, thoughtful writing there.

Posts: 1338 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
While I understand the motivation for this, I do not support it. As pointed out, we need non-resident interest in New Mexico big game hunting. The best, and maybe only, way to get that is to ensure that non-resident hunters have the opportunity to pursue big game in this state. I think they'd be better off getting rid of the outfitter set-aside so non-residents have a greater opportunity to hunt big game on their own.

Posts: 3296 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
It’s been gaining steam around western states a bit but that would be first step to demonize out state hunters and I have been in that crosshair few times
It’s stupid, but all it takes is few to stir the crowds and it becomes motto

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Might as well sell all that public land. Then at least you could buy landowner tags.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote