THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Everything you wanted to know about The Red Wolf and more!!!

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Everything you wanted to know about The Red Wolf and more!!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So if we want more we just breed some wolves to coyotes and be done with it.

We most likely have some running around Wis. we could give them.

Posts: 19616 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is to keep "red wolves" from interbreeding with the coyotes that are everywhere now and just becoming coyotes again? When I was a kid in the early 1960's we first started seeing coyotes in central texas(Austin area). I was on the school bus and there were two yotes eating a sheep in a pasture as we passed. We always referred to them as wolves for the longest time until we realized they were just coyotes. I had read many years ago that the last pure strain(?) of red wolves was captured on the southeast side of galveston bay(texas) with the massive Houston metro area occupying the north and northwest sides of galveston bay. That area was occupied by only very large cattle ranches and some rice farms; it was open prairie and marsh land. The spreading coyote population had not yet moved into that area probably because of the Houston metro area being in the way.

Posts: 966 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 23 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
The only way that I know that it is a Red Wolf is to look for a collar. They have spent some money in this area on Red Wolf Restoration. I do not think there is any way they can get an accurate count. The Albemarle/ Pamlico Peninsula covers hundreds of thousands of acres of bogs and pocosins that can not be accessed. Imagine thousands of acres of floating bogs of river reeds and little islands. Most of it is too narrow to access with a canoe. Not a very comfortable environment. Ticks, chiggers, gators, rattle snakes, water moccasins and some of the worst mosquitoes that you have ever experience. I could not imagine walking though chest deep water into the middle of the Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge.

Captain Clark Purvis
www.roanokeriverwaterfowl.com/

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They breed them under the endangered species act and get millions for doing it . They have decimated the deer where I live and now at
Re eating the bears .They travel in packs and are very dangerous at night .They need to be gotten rid of. a sponge and grease on it goes a long way !

Posts: 2543 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dgr416:
They breed them under the endangered species act and get millions for doing it . They have decimated the deer where I live and now at
Re eating the bears .They travel in packs and are very dangerous at night .They need to be gotten rid of. a sponge and grease on it goes a long way !

Wow...you live in that pocket of NC? I was there when they reintroduced them into the Smokies years ago..I don’t think they ever became a problem to my knowledge

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only way to terminate coyotes and I suspect Red Wolves is the Texas Program that made West Texas from Sanderson to Van Horne coyote free for many years was for all the ranches to set out getters ( cyanide guns ), wire slings in the fences, use air planes to hunt them with horseman riding in line...the outer edge ranchers that had cattle and no sheep were buffer zones that did the same thing..It worked..But as time went by cattle took presidence to sheep and the program was dropped. I recall this program was in the 1950s.

It can be done but its costly and requires everyone to participate, and I doubt if its needed today..Eagles are also a real preditor to the sheepman and goat raisers, and wildlife but protected by Uncle.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote