Find
Notify
Tools

Tell Me About Kodiak?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted
I have the opportunity to go to Kodiak in late November to hunt Sitka deer and do some duck hunting. Have any of you got any pointers to pass along? I cannot afford brown bear so don't even mention it. My main interest is the deer. What would a trophy buck look like?

Posts: 19239 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Ann, That sounds like sheer torture to me ... being on Kodiak with only a deer tag! Sorry ... just a gut reaction. [Smile]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Who would that be with?

Posts: 543 | Location: Belmont, MI | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nick, I refuse to pay someone $14,000 plus tags to shoot a bear. I will go live there first and then do it myself for a lot less. [Big Grin] This time I will be happy with photos. Supposedly the beaches are full of bears in late November. I can shoot three deer anyway, AK is pretty generous with deer tags.

Gene, this is a special deal for women hunters and the ladies must be a paid member of Women Hunters Club. The details are in the forums.

[ 04-07-2003, 21:46: Message edited by: Aspen Hill Adventures ]

Posts: 19239 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Where will you hunt? I've hunted Kodiak both in the Spring and the Fall. For deer, the weather seems to really effect where you'll find them. If there isn't snow on the hilltops, that's where you'll find the deer. Often by late November there is snow and the deer are much lower. I have a very good friend who's hunted Kodiak all but 2 years in the past 30 and he only goes in mid-December since the deer are almost always found at lower altitudes. Either way, Kodiak is the most amazing place I've ever hunted; I hope you have a great trip.

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Does this "women only" hunt mean that you support Augusta National's male only membership? [Razz]

Expect lots of wet snow and very and slippery-steep hills to climb in November. I've never been there that late, but I always saw lots of deer. They don't have particularly impressive horns, but you will see enough of them to get to choose one or two with good mass. Bears on Kodiak have been known to come running when they hear gunshots. Be prepared to "donate" some venison to a hungry bruin!

If you're hunting from a boat, more power to you. I'd have loved a place to get warm and dry!

[ 04-08-2003, 01:05: Message edited by: JudgeG ]

Posts: 7592 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ann: I'm working from memory here so bear with me (so to speak). As I reall, there was a severe winter in the area a few years ago with a substantial die off. I was elk hunting on Afognak Island in Oct. 2001 & we saw very little deer sign. We had been there in 1999 & saw deer all over the place. As I recall, the pilot told us there had been some severe winters. No matter the time of year, expect windy conditions & of course snow. The 1 time I hunted Kodiak (for bears), was in the spring near Frasier Lake - no timber. The weather in the area dictates bush flying conditions - take extra food & supplies in case the pilot can't get to you. Also, as I recall, a portion of Kodiak is limited to 1 buck only. I'd advise getting in touch with Fish & Feathers in Kodiak. Don't have their phone # or web site address handy but you should be able to come up with it by doing a search. You might consider doing your hunting from a boat. I think there are numerous guides who hunt this way but have no first hand info on this. One last comment - Don't go into the bush alone, make sure you have a companion. Hope this helps at least a bit. Bear in Fairbanks

[ 04-07-2003, 23:06: Message edited by: Bear in Fairbanks ]

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Lars G>
posted
Ann - I have never hunted Kodiak, but I have hunted and shot a fair number of Sitka BT's. Kodiak is a bit different kind of hunting than we have in Southeastern Alaska. A lot more open and more opportunity to glass for them. I have never glassed for them, except thru the scope. It's mostly still hunting thru the timber, brush thickets and muskegs. Here's few photos of bucks I have taken. The big looking one is the biggest I have ever taken some 20 years ago and I've been hunting 'em for 25+ years.

On Kodiak, I'd be looking for a 4x4. Four points on each side (classic double-fork, like a mulie) and don't worry about eyeguards. A good buck will have a 17-18" outside spread and 10+" height. Don't be ashamed if you have to settle on a 3x3 or 3x2. Most years, a 3x3 or 3x2 wins our local Big Buck contest. They do a simple Height + Width score. You gotta do 30"+ to win normally. I placed third this year with a 29.5" score.

I consider all of November "prime time." Should be the tail end of the rut, but you will have snow. Fawn bleat calls can be very effective, but watch out for brownies. I never hunt w/o a good call, but I always carry a big rifle too. Good luck and have fun!!!

-

~~ Lars ~~~

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ann,

I've hunted over there for deer on a couple of occasions. If you hit the rut right and it sounds like your dates are good you will see loads of deer.

We were there after a bad winter die off but we still saw 35 mature bucks in one day.

A good buck is a 3x3 with eye guards and an inside spread of 12". If you see any 4x4 just shoot it because it may be close to B&C.

The big bucks will be up from the beach even if there is some snow so be prepared for some moderate climbing on slippery ground to get up into the open country.

You might have to make a long shot so bring an appropriate rifle. Also you could bump a bear so being a little over gunned might not hurt anything.

This is a real fun hunt and if you are selective I'm sure you can take a nice buck in the 95-100 B&C range. 108 makes the all time records. Look for body size on the mature bucks to be about 150-200 lb.

Good Hunting

Posts: 12918 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark and Lars nailed it, nice photos Lars. A good buck is a 3x3, a trophy is a 4x4 or better; a big 5x5 is almost certainly B&C material.

Kodiak offers the best spot and stalk opportunities for deer in the state, since it's much more open there than SE or PWS.

I've seen scads of ducks rafting up in bays in Oct, but November may present mostly sea ducks.

The south end of Kodiak seems to have the best population of big bucks, Olga Bay area.

Posts: 99 | Location: Cordova Alaska | Registered: 07 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You'll love the deer hunting there. Don't let the bears worry you too much..stay with a partner and stay alert.

The duck hunting is great that time of year, you should see lots, mostly sea ducks.

Are you staying on a boat?

I sent you another PM about the peacock bass fishing..

Posts: 314 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Guys! Thank you for all of the great information so far! You are all very helpful.

Here are some of my details: It's a guided hunt and I will be staying in a lodge so I won't be alone. Hopefully I won't be lunch for a bear either. I will bring some chest waders or hip boots, which ever you all recommend. The lodge is at Ugak Bay. Anyone know the area?

For rifle I have the following choices in mind: My trusty Mauser .375 H&H ~or~ my Savage .300 WinMag. The open long shots mentioned have me leaning towards the Savage with 180 grain bullets. Any input is appreciated.

I've been told it's a three deer area. I will probably try for two, one decent buck and then look for a possible Mr Big.

Nice photos Lars, you've taken many nice bucks. In fact your sitka bucks have better antlers than any whitetails I have seen out hunting.

I am going to work on details, I hope this works out as it would be awesome to see a little bit of Alaska even though I am not going to be able to afford a glamor animal. Deer are fine quarry for me. [Smile]

Do any of you Alaskans live near the area? Would be good to meet for a drink.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ann,

You will be on the rainier side of the island but I would not recommend hipboots and definitely not waders. You'll be doing a little climbing and I think you will be better served with good raingear and waterproof hiking boots. I've lived and hunted in AK for over 20 years and have never figured out how people can walk let alone climb in hipboots.

Particularly if you are with a guide don't get too excited about the bears. A long shot of perhaps 300 yd. is possible and your 300 WM will be much better for the job.

I live too far in the bush to meet you in Anchorage on your way to Kodiak but wouldn't mind discussing a caribou or moose hunt trade for a trophy elk hunt if you have some ideas on that. Send me an e-mail if this sounds interesting.

Posts: 12918 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ann

Where you will be rain will probably be your biggest problem. Be prepared for Heavy Rain and wind. Kodiak is one of the few places on earth where it rains from the ground up. [Wink]

Good Gum boots (LaCross ankle fit) will be best. Goretex extreme will be the minimum with top quality polypro and a change in your 'Dry Pack' for lunch. Poylypro pants and good quality light, flexible rain pants. If it doesn't rain it will. It will be damp.

I don't subscribe to the theory that the PH/Guide will always be there to pull your bacon out of the fire. If you take the 300 use at least 200 grain bullets. Remember though, that unless you have scratches you will have a problem with Fish and Game if you shoot a bear.

If there is a hard freeze on the mainland the Northern half will be lousy with Mallards and such. Other than that, Sea Ducks are loads of fun but Alaska is death on wastage. Harlequins and Golden Eyes are great mounts.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've hunted goats above Ugak Bay a few times, great area. Once we had to hike down to the beach in the bay for a floatplane pickup, as I recall there were tons of ducks in the head of the bay.

Lots of rolling hills down low along the south side of the bay, steep mountains at the head. It's beautiful country, Kodiak is a wonderful place.

I usually hunt in Xtra tuffs, but for deer hunting in that area a good pair of hiking boots would work well, just as long as they're pretty water resistant.

I'd go with the .300WM and 200gr bullets myself; I use a .30-06 and 200gr Xbullets for deer hunting, just in case I step on a grouchy brown bear.

Posts: 99 | Location: Cordova Alaska | Registered: 07 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Ann,

The lodge wouldn't be the Saltry Lake Lodge would it?

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi John,

It is called the Little Eagle Lodge.

Thanks again guys, you have all been extrememly helpful! [Smile]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I should add that I have lots of 200 grain ammo for my .300WM and will use that at your advice. This will make Russell happy as he did a trigger job for me on this particular rifle. I have not hunted anything with it yet and I cannot think of a better place to try it out.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My wife and I hunted Kodiak in fall 2001, after the 'great die-off' of 2000. There were 4 of us on the boat and we killed 12 deer. Some nice ones, but no trophies. 3 years of growth can be nothing but good for the antlers.

My wife used her 7-08 with 140gr Partitions and I used my 25-06. Shots were between 100- 250 yards. Bears are a concern, but common sense is more important around bears than firepower. I did carry a 44 revolver for piece of mind.

The second week of November was the rut, and the bucks had a strong taste. Still very edible, just a little gamey. The weather was mid 20's and damp to low 40's and sunny. We were on the SW corner of the island. 10" Cabela leather and Goretex boots were perfect for spot and stalk footwear. Wool and good raingear worn over moisture wicking underwear was all we needed for clothes.

Be prepared to quarter a deer (or bone it out) if you are hunting very far from transportation. A small radio for communications between parties of two hunters would have been nice when we had three deer down 2 miles from the beach.

Posts: 152 | Location: Carlisle. PA | Registered: 25 September 2002Reply With Quote
<Lars G>
posted
Ann - I'm surprised you don't see whitetails bigger than those blacktails. Those are 3 of the 5 largest I've ever shot and none of them were gimmies (i.e. on the beach or just inside the woods as is typical on a heavy snowfall year.) But I have seen a lot bigger. I've never seen a 4x4 while hunting. It is a function of genetics and minerals and I think Kodiak has both. Prince of Wales Island is another trophy spot.

ON THE RIFLE SELECTION - I had a 300 Win for about 20 years. Not a bad rifle for wide open shooting, but not really an up-close-and-personal rifle IMO. I started out using factory 180 gr Silvertips. Their pathetic performance is what got me started handloading. I ALWAYs went with 200 or 220 grain bullets. My biggest buck was with the Barnes 200 gr "original." Towards the end of that gun's career it was 220 NP's all the way. The 200 gr Grand Slams aren't bad either. BTW this rifle is now a 375 Taylor (375-338 Win) and, with a 21" barrel and peep sights, is my brush rifle. In think either rifle is o.k. for Kodiak and since you've not after bear, the 300 Win would suffice.

FOOTWEAR - Don't hunt in rubber boots. Sure, it's wet, but it's also slippery. You don't get ankle support, traction or side hill grip with rubber boots. I used them for a number of years, gave up about 15 years ago. My feet sweat like pigs. Go with a 10" gore-tex leather boot. Rubber boots have their place for the skiff ride if that's how you get around to your hunting spots. I use the Cabela's Meindl Sitka boots myself.

CLOTHES - I still have some wool jackets, but have gone to the fleece stuff. It's quieter and absorbs less water, thus is lighter. The Cabela's dry-plus fleece is very nice. Some sort of wind/rain shell will be very handy for the open terrain you will be hunting. The quietness will not be that much of a factor like it is where I hunt. Absolutely no COTTON or DOWN unless you want to go hypothermic. By all means be prepared to hunt in the rain. If you are a "fair weather hunter, you'll be staying at the lodge. I've spent many a day "soaked-to-the-bone" while hunting in S.E. They say we tend to start growing gills and get webbed feet!!

DRAGGING or FRAME PACK - In my younger days I dragged everything out. A mile thru blowndowns didn't bother me much. As I get older (40+) and hunt farther from the "crowd" I have gone to field quartering/boning out. I would suggest brings a lightweight frame pack. I have a "quick-packer." I just lash my fanny pack and extra clothes to it. If you have a back pack, you can put it inside the webbing or place the arm webs over the frame posts. You can always drag if you're close to the beach, but if you're back looking for a big one, you'll be happy you brought a frame. Just watch around you closely. In some areas, a gun shot is a dinner bell to a bear. I've been very fortune to have never been jumped by a bear while dressing out or boning out a deer. I've called in quite a few, though - that's when it's nice to have a bigger rifle.

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Ann,

I'm pretty sure that lodge is on the opposite side of Ugak Bay from where I hunted out of the Saltery Lake Lodge. Should be a great place to find deer. The deer act a lot like Mule deer; you'll often kick them out of their hiding places, they'll run a few yards and stop and look back at you. Carry a predator call and you can use it to call them back to you if they go out of sight (I've done this--it works), but be careful because bears may come to the call too (I haven't done this but have talked to a hunter on Kodiak who did). Kodiak has lots of foxes, so for fun use the predator call and you�ll see them.

The best raingear you can buy is probably marginal on Kodiak; most my friends used Helly-Hanson. My recommendation on footwear is either rubber or gore-tex waterproof boots, wear gore-tex pants and use duct tape to seal your boots to the pants (make sure the pant's seams are sealed). This will allow you to wade small streams as if you're wearing waders but without the weight/bulk of waders. I used this method many times throughout Alaska and never once got wet. I know it sounds strange, but on the advice of some very experienced friends, I tested my gore-tex by wearing it in the shower and then sealing any small leaks I found with seam sealer. Check your rain jacket the same way.

It often gets very foggy so a GPS can be very handy and don�t forget a compass.

I spent the five best years of my life in Alaska and made one enormous mistake leaving. If I'm ever able to convince my wife to move back I will do so. Hope this helps.

one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
Here�s a picture of a buck taken recently from Kodiak. He went 109+ B.C., but don�t look for him in the books. He�s our little secret ;-).

-

The rifle leaning against him is acutually my buddy's bear stopping rifle. The buck was shot with a 300 Win. Mag.

I worked at a remote lodge from September to October last year and spent every day in the bush chasing deer and ptarmigan. Mid November would not have been an option for the area we hunted because it was a fly-in trip and there is a high probability that the lagoon would have been too frozen for air transport. However, I think a hunt late in the year would be great for bringing the bucks down to lower elevations. We started early every day and climbed as high as 1,500 ft. to the peaks and ridgelines. From there we would glass heavily and stalk when we thought it would be worth it. This was a very successful method for us.

-

-

The deer were plentiful along the beaches, but as always the big bucks don�t hang out where it�s easy access for the two-legged critters (us). Even though I�m convinced these deer had never seen people, their innate nature to distance themselves from easy predation keeps them high in the hills as long as possible. But I think the November weather will leave them more accessible for you.

-
 -

These are the things that I valued most when I was there (your mileage may vary):

Excellent binoculars/spotting scope (essential if you want a trophy)
    The best raingear (gortex Okay, Helly Hansen Impertech is the most durable)
    Sturdy waterproof boots
    Alaskan cowboy boots (hip boots)- if you�ll be hunting from or using a boat
    Flat shooting rifle
    I�ll assume you know how to dress yourself in layers using polypropylene
    Light, but sturdy pack frame that is waterproof or lined with a garbage bag

As far as bear goes� I wouldn�t be too worried, but do keep in mind that the silvers have quit running and there�s not as much for the bears to eat near the rivers. That means a wounded dear or a gut pile would be a great opportunity for them. Just use some common sense! I like pack frames because draggin� a carcass leaves a nice scent trail for the bear to follow you back to camp. I�m sure you guide will know all that is necessary to keep safe.

This sow and her two cubs were very interested in my Dolly Varden (notice the 12 ga. on my back).
 -

Enjoy your hunt and be sure to ask your guide all of the burning questions on your mind BEFORE you get there, no matte how trivial they may seem. That's what you're paying them for. Good luck!!

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hipboots, good ankle fit ones you can walk in all day. Also if the bears are out dont be surprised if the sound of the shot acts as a dinner bell. They have become real accustomed to deer hunters. It would be comical if it wasnt so aggravating at times.

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, more info, thanks for sharing all of your experiences! You guys are great!

Kenati, that's a nice buck and I notice the photo appears to be taken at elevation. I will make sure my guide knows I will want to check the highlands out for a nice buck. [Smile]

Lars, there are a lot of deer hunters in Michigan, unfortunately this means most of the bucks shot are yearlings (meaning 1 and a half year old deer) and most of them are shot in one day. Most hunters do not hunt for mature deer, there just are not many that live to be truly mature. There are close to two million deer here but it's a very young herd with poor buck to doe ratios. Mostly spikes breeding the does.

John (Toomany Tools) my goal someday is to live in Alaska too, even if just for a few years, so I can hunt brown bear without donating a body part. I cannot live with the pricing of a guided brown bear hunt, especially when I know such a hunt would not be any harder than a black bear hunt. I'll wait and I will enjoy it all the better when I can do it. [Wink]

<Lars G>
posted
KENATI - awesome pics dude!!! You got me thinking deer hunting while King fishing and grouse hunting are just around the corner. Shame on you!!! Your buddy's bear stopper - a Rem 600 in 350 Rem Mag??? The bear/fishing pic reminds me of a couple of things. I've had brownies come an steal my fish off the river bank. Not much you can do about that one. Once I was grouse hunting with my bro. We were carrying about 6 "hooters" in our hands and had dropped them at the base of a tree while we looked for "one last bird." We both had our attention at the top of the trees, when a blackie snuck up about 25 feet from us and grabbed one of our birds and ran off.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ann,

If you have an opportunity, add an extra day to your trip and do some fishing out of Kodiak. You'll have a blast and bring back some great fish filets! Also saw a Huge brown bear on the beach from the boat at about 150 yards.
I went last year with a buddy from 24hourcampfire and spend 3 days fishing out of Kodiak on his boat. We caught silvers, Ling cod, halibut, Black bass, Yellow eye rockfish, and a number of other things I can't remember. It was a great time and I brought back 2 coolers of frozen filets. I do believe my wife will let me go back to get some more fish - right after I go back and get another moose to fill our half full freezer! LOL- Sheister

Posts: 385 | Location: Hillsboro, Oregon | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice photos Kenati. I have to say that is the biggest Sitka I have EVER seen. Very nice.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Ann,
I just returned from a brown bear hunt on the north side of Ugak bay. We backpacked up Rough Creek a few miles.

There is a LOT of big deer sign on the sand and gravel bars. The guide said the deer have really increased since the last die off. We saw lots of deer each day. They are as beautiful a deer as I have ever seen.

You shouldn't have much trouble whacking 3 of 'em and then go duck hunting or fishing if you wish.

My only recommendation is to get in the best shape you can before you go. There is no easy country around Ugak. I told my outfitter that he should should charge more and market it as a weight loss clinic for hunters.

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Palmer, I thought it looked steep around the lodge. That's ok, I can manage but I come from a very flat area so I will move like a tortoise but will make it.

How did your bear hunt go?

one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
I have no doubt you will make it fine Ann.

My bear is still in the woods. They had an early spring (it will be good for the deer population) and the larger bears we saw were so badly rubbed that they we didn't even try a stalk on them.

We did see something really exciting. There are a lot of mountain goats in that area and we saw a sow brown bear who had a year old cub chase down and kill a mature billy. We had been watching her and the cub at the top of a mountain when two billys walked up the side of it. As they neared the top she charged. She gained on them in the snow but they gained when they reached dry patches. In one snow patch one goat stumbled and since she then was within 15 feet he decided to turn and gore her. She slapped him in the head so hard that he lost his footing and she was on him in an instant - grabbing him by the throat and shaking him like a dog shakes a toy. He was not a small goat. She fed on him for 3 days.

I also was charged by a bull bison which was the last thing I would have expected to die of when on Kodiak Is. Fortunatly he turned off when about 40 feet away and ran down the beach.

You will really enjoy that area. There is always something to see. Good hunting to you.

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your report and sorry about your bear! That must have been cool to see what you saw though, did you get any photos?