New
Find
Notify
Tools

High Fence Garbage
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What will all you "never hunt behind a fence" guys do when GW builds a fence along the Mex border ? Only hunt in Mexico or Canada, cuz that will make just about all southwest hunting "behind a fence"

Posts: 30 | Location: South Of Key West | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
GREAT POINT! Doesn't bother me. jumping stir stir

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3110 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great point!!!!

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
when GW builds a fence along the Mex border ?

I hope we all live long enough to see that happen but I ain't holding my breath. Mad

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Thanks to beachbum, I have been forced to re-evaluate my hunting, and I just realized that all my trophies were not taken in "fair chase".

You see, The Panama Canal stopped any movement of game to the South and the ice of the arctic is clearly a deterrent for anything fleeing to far to the North.

I am so ashamed of myself. And to think that all the animals I hunted if Africa were trapped by that silly ocean that surrounds the continent on all sides.

They didn't have a chance.

Fish in a barrel. All of them ... just fish in barrel.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
People will say anything to justify their decisions/positions. The more wrong they may be the more outlandish the justification. stir

Posts: 788 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
beachbum,

What will all you "never hunt behind a fence" guys do when GW builds a fence along the Mex border ? Only hunt in Mexico or Canada, cuz that will make just about all southwest hunting "behind a fence"

I about blew my coffee all over the screen. You really hit the nail on the head. Loved it!

I personally think everybody to his own but to say hunting in ANY fenced area is not hunting or is canned is completely wrong. If you have never done it how could you possibly know what it is like?

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
beachbum,

I about blew my coffee all over the screen. You really hit the nail on the head. Loved it!

I personally think everybody to his own but to say hunting in ANY fenced area is not hunting or is canned is completely wrong. If you have never done it how could you possibly know what it is like?

Mark

I agree 100% clap sofa

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member of the Delaware Destroyers
Member Reeders Misfits
NRA Life Member ENDOWMENT MEMBER
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As long as there are a lot of holes in the fence it would be ok I guess

Posts: 304 | Location: Prince George BC | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
schmaus,

You'll probably be shot if you're caught doing that down here in Texas.

Posts: 3110 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You'll probably be shot if you're caught doing that down here in Texas.

Once again proving my point that people will say anything to justify their decisions/positions. The more wrong they may be the more outlandish the justification.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thats ok MC no one would be able to find me if I wasn't locked behind a high fence somewhere

Posts: 304 | Location: Prince George BC | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
MC,

How is what I said wrong? I am just stating the facts. If someone spends HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of dollars erecting a high fence around his property, what right do you have to come and cut holes in it? Last time I checked, that is destruction of private property and trespassing. Both of those ARE crimes. Am I wrong? Also, remeber that in Texas if someone is on your property and you see them as posing a threat (i.e.-they have a gun), YOU CAN SHOOT THEM. So, schmaus, if I were you, I'd be careful before I went stumbling around the woods in Texas cutting holes in peoples' high fences. thumb

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Easy now Eland!

I don't think he meant it that way.

I am not sure what the penalty is, but I know theft of livestock is a felony. If someone were to cause you to loose exotic animals (I assume this can be treated as livestock?) would they be subject to the same felony?

I don't know, but I am sure a Texas jury, in a rural ranching community, with Texas ranchers on the jury, might just see it my way!

One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
So do you hunt from high stands overlooking feeders on these high fenced properties ?

All in all it's sounds like a truly rugged outdoor experience Roll Eyes

Hard to imagine why those of us who earn a trophy buck on a public lands hunt here in the West would look down on such things.

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skinner.:
So do you hunt from high stands overlooking feeders on these high fenced properties ?

All in all it's sounds like a truly rugged outdoor experience Roll Eyes

Hard to imagine why those of us who earn a trophy buck on a public lands hunt here in the West would look down on such things.

Here is the main problem with some of the Western guys understanding the fenced properties.

First of all, you guys are the luckiest hunters in the US, hands down, no contest. You have tons of public land to hunt, literally endless acres to explore and hunt, numerous big game animals, inexpensive hunting ... you guys have it all.

You have the type of hunting that is the most rewarding, spot and stalk. I would venture a guesss that, if given a choice, 99% of hunters would opt for this type of hunting. It is by far the most rewarding and exciting hunting method commonly used in the US.

What you fail to realize is that this type of hunting, in the rest of the country, is either not practical or impossible. Don't you think if we could hunt like that we would? You don't actually think that Texans are just lazy and opt for stand hunting do you?

It is just not practical to have the rugged experience of the West in most of Texas.

Nobody claimed it was a rugged experience, if we want a rugged experience, we will come and hunt in your backyard.

Hunting opportunites in Texas are limited. It is very expensive to hunt here. You must own land, lease land or buy a guided hunt, if you want to hunt in Texas. Public big game hunting here is a joke. It is not even a viable option for 99% of us.

You guys can look down your nose at us if you like, but it is that kind of snobbery that divides us. Open your eyes and realize that the methods used in other parts of the world are used for a reason.

Hunting methods in individual areas were adopted because it is the most reasonable and rational way to pursue game given the local conditions and terrain.

You Westerners just happen to be lucky that you can employ one of the most rewarding method of hunting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Sometimes. Kinda reminded me of hunting on a bluff overlooking an alfalfa field while hunting mule deer in the wild and free open spaces.

hammering

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can see it now: Man Claims Self Defense in Shooting: Perpetrator Carried Fencing Pliers

If it was your neighbor and you share the common fence, then how could he be tresspassing? How about your neighbors' rights to have state owned animals move on and off their properties? Oh, that is right... whitetails don't move over 20 acres anyway. (sarcasm)

Now I own a ranch here in Utah. A couple years ago we had a guy tresspass on us and shoot an elk. I guess by your take I should have shot him. I was raised different and those thoughts never even came to mind.

No need to argue more about it. I won't ever change my thoughts on the subject and it sounds like you guys won't either. So be happy shooting your farm animals inside the pasture fences, stopping the native animals' natural movements, and raising your quarry. I'll be happy chasing wild things in wild places.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If it was your neighbor and you share the common fence, then how could he be tresspassing?

Very easy. Most high fences are put up a minimum of 18 inches inside the property line. Therefore it is not a common fence. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Kinda reminded me of hunting a bluff overlooking an alfalfa field while hunting mule deer in the wild and free open spaces.

I view that as pretty much the same, ranch bucks are in a separate category in my opinion.

In fact our big buck contests of the past had separate categories for private lands and public lands.

Funny thing was that the biggest bucks almost always came off USFS or BLM lands.

Even though I have access to lots of private lands I still prefer to hunt deer on public lands.

And you're right Wendell, we are lucky in some of the West. I have access to millions of acres of USFS and BLM lands and can take 2 black-tailed bucks in my area. Same tags for rifle or bow. And I can take a bear during the same time. And the season for mountain quail and blue and ruffed grouse is open then too.

Add in the trout fishing in the backcountry areas I hunt and unbelievable scenery and it's hard to beat.

There's no way a GMO white-tailed buck is worth $7500 to me, considering that it would never equal taking a big forked horn in a wilderness area you pack into.

I'm wondering if Eland Slayer has ever had those types of experiences.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ok lets not call it canned hunting but control hunting. You control what comes in and out and how many hunters that can hunt. You also control what size of animal that can be taken. I want to see someone try argue that. Now when you are out hunting public land you do not have any control. That is why a true trophy is taken with no control factor. To put it in other words is that trophy bass you have fead since its birth and raised in your own private pond a true trophy when you catch it. Or is catching one out on a public lake a trophy? Not to tough to figure that one out. Roll Eyes

KA Firearms Customization LLC
Firearm Coating, Gun and Optics Sales
www.kafirearmsllc.com/

Posts: 370 | Location: Buxton, ND | Registered: 13 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ok lets not call it canned hunting but control hunting.

How bout' we call it harvesting and not hunting, since that's largely what it is.

And use the term 'GMO buck' as opposed to trophy buck since the goal is apparently to create an artificially enhanced uber white-tail with large antlers.

Just like the one Bubba got on ESPN.

As I see it that isn't hunting nor is it representative of 99% of hunting. Yet the majority of what exposure the public has to "hunting" through the hunting media is exactly that.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now when you are out hunting public land you do not have any control. That is why a true trophy is taken with no control factor.

What? No control on public land. Why is it that practically every western state with public land requires you to draw a tag and discriminates against non-residents with a quota? I consider that control.

Why do states bother to do this as people who hunt behind high fences don't have the skills to kill a deer on open range. Pretty stupid passing up this easy income from tags etc. when the fatass slob ain't gonna hurt a flea. Nope, open range animals do not qualify as a trophy since access is not equal.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Elandslayer don't get your panties all in a bunch. I'm not going to be cutting anything, I was just having a little bit of fun with yah so settle down. I like to get involved in these huge pot stirring discussions, just to see people get all worked up over things that they cannot change, such as my opinion. I come from British Columbia and there is nothing like fenced hunting for local species around here. If I were you I would definately try to save some money on fencing and come up north and shoot some animals my way. There's no sense getting all worked up over some deer because moose, elk and grizzly bear are where its at anyway.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now that I am thinking about this I have an idea. If you want a really exciting fenced hunt stick about 30 hungry grizzly bears into an enclosed area and then lock yourself in with only three rounds.

One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why is it that practically every western state with public land requires you to draw a tag and discriminates against non-residents with a quota?

Non-residents have open access to the best trophy black-tailed deer country in the U.S. in CA, OR and WA. Over the counter tags and lot's of public land.

But you're gonna have to work for that buck.

One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
See what you guys are missing out on here, BlacktailCountry.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
To me it's a hoot to watch the enclosed stand 'hunters'on the outdoor channel with all of their camo on as they walk to their little outhouse which they climb in to 'hunt' whitetails or whatever don't know why they don't drive to the outhouse in their street clothes.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skinner.:
See what you guys are missing out on here, BlacktailCountry.com
Golly gee I've seen a few of them there things wandering around kaliforney.We had mule deer but the mtn lions have decimated that population in s. cal. There are some in the mojave national preserve but the park service has wrought havoc on the herd by not fighting the fires last summer which all but destroyed the pinion juniper zone which was the muleys habitat.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
See what you guys are missing out on here

Yea, that's pretty sporting isn't it?

jumping

One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
quote:
We had mule deer but the mtn lions have decimated that population in s. cal.

Odd that they're still taking some pretty decent bucks out of Central and So. Cal then huh ?

CA has a lot of lions but habitat quality is a far bigger issue, forget about the lions and push for more burns.

The harvest numbers don't really reflect your belief of decimation.

CA DFG Reported Buck Kill From 1990-2005