Find
Notify
Tools

why 410 slugs are so underloaded?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi
In caliber 12 and 20 the slugs are loaded at the same weight as normal shotloads, but in 410 the heaviest load is 1/4 ons compared to 3/4 onz f�r normal shot loads?Can you please anser me.
Best regards
Danny

Posts: 1127 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of John Y Cannuck
posted Hide Post
Educated guess?
slugs tend to seal the bore quite well, compared to shot, the 410, has a small bore, that means less area to seal, and the likelihood of an even better gas seal than say a 12 bore. Good seal, equals high pressure. Now, ever seen one of those european thin walled 410s? Add in a tight full choke for good measure, and a few lawyers.

Posts: 872 | Location: Lindsay Ontario Canada | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't really know either but might be the length,I have only seen the 410 slug in the shorter 2 3/4 in shell not the 3in.
Many years ago I used them for deer,here in the mts.They worked very good at short distance.Never lost a deer that I shot with one.
Would like to know the reason too if they are under loaded.

Posts: 508 | Location: Newton,NC,USA | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A .410 with slugs makes a fair tomcat gun..............that's about it , though ..... [Big Grin]

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi
I beleive if they load them with � ons slugs they become fairly equal to 41 mag and good deer loads,but at this time they are not realy able to take a deer.
Danny

one of us
posted Hide Post
.410 slugs are generaly worthless. Now all of you "nich" and "fills the gap" lovers go make something of them.

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aw, I put one in a pig's nitch one day, then another notch on the stock. Actually it was three of them.

The idea of bore seal doesn't work for me as they ride a wad. The .410 does work at higher pressure levels than the larger gauges, but then you get the highest velocities with the .410 as well. Perhaps a heavier slug and less velocity would be in order. I think 5/8-3/4 ounce at 1200 fps would be far more effective. The current genre of slugs are quite frangible in my experience and I would not recommend them for much of anything to anybody. The buckshot ammo(000x3) is far more effective.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
seal is a seal, doesn't matter much if it's the slug, or the wad

Posts: 872 | Location: Lindsay Ontario Canada | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can't think of a lot of uses for the 410 slug. Must be some, they're still out there.

one of us
posted Hide Post
They are nearly perfect for killing halibut over 100lbs before bringing them into the boat. The Snakecharmer and similar .410's are just right, particularly since you haven't lost anything if things get a little Alaskan and you drop it overboard.

One of my hillbilly uncles in Missouri knew a guy who pulled the slugs from .410's, then loaded them in a short-barreled single shot. He then wrapped the butt of an arrow in aluminum foil and seated it down the bore into the shell case. This was to be able to hunt with a gun during the (then quite new) archery season. I don't think he was ever able to hit anything smaller than the side of his barn with it, but it sure made him feel like he'd put one over on the fish cops. I'm sure they would have had little sense of humor with him had he succeeded. Always seemed to me like I could have hit a deer further away and more reliably with a bow...

Posts: 119 | Location: Ketchikan, AK USA | Registered: 20 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't know about hunt'en with them but the house gun which at this time is he semi-auto saiga 410 is loaded with them in the mag.
My grand mother used a old single bbl 410 and used slugs to shoot yotes and fox if they were around the hens and used 7 1/2's for hawks,she didn't care who you were DON"T MESS WITH THE CHICKENS!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted Hide Post
I still love the .410 on squirrel and i use a single shot, so i carry some slugs in case a fox or coyote happen by . I use 3"brenneke , not sure of the weight i'll check it out later I've got plenty of time today as we are getting pounded with a blizzard.

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi
Neddless to say that 44/40 lancing 200 gr bullet@1300 fps deminished the size of wild population in USA. a ,5 onz slug in 410 can do the same work
Danny