Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to get your carcass out.....
 Login/Join

posted
Just wondering what the alternatives are to dragging your beast out phycially or carrying it out on a ATV.
We have a number of resident Red hinds on our ground which I guess would be in the 140lb-160lb range when gralloched.
As some of there favourite spots would involve a drag of upto around a mile back to the nearest forest road, I am looking at ideas to make this easier.
In particular I am looking for comments on the various game carts and how well they work on steep broken ground. They don't sell them in the UK, but we do have access to a welder! [Big Grin]
So, any easy ways for 2 guys to get their beast out from way back there?

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've not used the carts, but what about a wheelbarrow?

Posts: 612 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
There is a childs plastic sled that rolls up. You can find them in a department store.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Someone suggested a pull-behind golf cart similar to this one

-

I have one that, when I go to the area I am hunting that is hilly, I plan on taking along.
They suggested an orange sheet or bag to put over the deer so someone dosn't shoot at it my mistake also.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Pete, take a look at cycletote.com. For rough terrain, it's the way to go. You can also put an electric motor on one of those! HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the ideas guys...

Steve,

We actually used a wheel barrow recently to move a carcass from my Trooper into a coldstore. It makes the job a hell of a lot easier, but the barrow part needs to be bigger...

Greg,

I am not a golfer, but I know the trollies you mean. Do you think they would hold up to dragging 150lb accross rough ground??

regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I strap my deer to a common two wheel hand cart. Fits in my vehicle and is easy to load the carcass on. Just strap it in and go. Not an expensive piece of equipment. I leave the deer on to gut it too, as the carcass rests nicely on it.

Your red hinds will fit on these.

-

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As long as it is built solidly and has large tires I don't think there should be much problems.

Here is another Idea for a game carrier that you could make. This picture is from the Cabelas catalogue

-

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another aid which appears that it would work pretty well is a simple "sled" made of thick polyethylene or similar plastic. You simply place the carcass on top of it, then drag with a rope loop tied to the front end such that it lifts the front slightly off of the ground, allowing it to slide over rocks and stumps. Simple but effective.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<CAMike>
posted
Pete,

I have been using a roll up plastic sled sold by Cabela's. Cost is about $25. I have used it to haul out 3 deer in the last two years over very rough, rocky terrain. It has worked very well. If I rememebr right, it is called the Deer Sleigher. For my money, one of the most worthwhile investments.

CA Mike

posted Hide Post
Re the deer sled idea, I have some thick plastic I might try out, otherwise I will either comb the car boot sales looking for a hand cart like Anne's and then maybe change the wheels to something bigger and hence better able to handle the rough ground. If all else fails and the welder has to come out, I fixed version of that cabela's game carrier looks like a favourite as the weight is over the wheels.

one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
I've used the one wheel, two wheel carts (like Cabela's) and drag method. I think that in hilly, rocky country I'd prefer to drag or pack (depends on local laws, game must be "intact" in my state). The two wheel carts with bicycle wheels work very well on fairly level or level cross country work. The one wheel types, regardless of where they put the wheel are a lot more work.

I like the sled idea. Should keep the hair on for those 2 hour treks out of the hunting area (about average in my area).

[ 10-12-2002, 00:05: Message edited by: Hobie ]

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
<don>
posted
Take a folding fish fillett knife with you. Skin the animal on one side then remove the shoulder, backstrap, and hind quarter, Turn over and repeat this process. Remove neck roast, Gut the beast in order to get to the tenderloins (gut loins). Place in a backpack and carry out. I think this would beat the heck out of draggin, pulling, or sledding it a mile. 2 men should be able to carry the cape horns, and meat of a 150 lb beast with all the bone removed. It sounds hard but once you try it a couple of times it isn't that hard. Considering its legal there to not check in a whole carcass. Just a thought. I've been on the working end of a cart and it isn't easy on my opinion.

<don>
posted
forgot to add use the fillet kniffe to remove the meat from the shoulder and hind quarter, and carry a sharping steel. good luck

one of us
Picture of DennisHP
posted Hide Post
Take salt and pepper and eat 'em on the spot. [Big Grin]

How about the old pole on the shoulders with the animal hanging underneath?

Posts: 3931 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Dennis beat me to it. The old two man pole on the shoulders for deer sized game is a good one, the price is right as well. There is also the even older indian style litter, but that takes a bit more assembly. How about something similar to one of those canvas army cots with handles at each end? For a fairly heavy deer that might be a bit less painfull than the pole.

Posts: 10170 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used an Otter II Sled for about five years now. Its a heavy PVC sled that is pulled behind a snowmachine,ATV,etc for ice fishing, dragging over snow,etc. Mine is pulled by PEOPLE power and makes hauling out a bull much easier. If theres snow on the ground or even just frosty grass its much easier to haul. I've pulled a few cows and bulls out whole, by my lonesome. Its surely exercise but not torture.

For smaller animals like deer or antelope its a breeze. No damage to the hide, no dirt, plus your gear and rifle can ride in the sled as well.

Frank N.

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I've used the the cart from Cabela's that Amosgreg posted. It works better than dragging. I prefer to cut & quarter like DOn said. I find it much easier to carry than drag. Sometimes you'll have to make multiple trips though.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote