Notify
Tools

Re: What gun to Buy??
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted
Jumpalot,
Getting back to your origial post, the availability of a wide range of bullet types/weights is a concern if you handload for a variety of situations. At least that was always my stance for sticking to 30 cal. You are right that most of us stick to particular bullets/loads but at least with the -06, I can load up 130s for coyote, 150 for deer, 180 for elk, etc. Or use the 375 for anything!
Just my $1.50
Russ

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I don't want to start a fight or anything, but something has really caught my attention. When people start asking which gun to buy, I always see "Buy this gun because there are more bullets available for that caliber." Is that really an issue? I grew up shooting a .270 and killed antelope, mule deer and elk all with a 130 grain bullet. My Dad taught me about how important bullet placement was. I somewhere in my life heard that a 270 wasn't enough gun to shoot elk with so I bought a 300 win. mag. loaded it up with 180 grain bullets and quickly found out it didn't kill the elk any deader than my 270. The next gun I bought was a 270 wsm. Not because of what it did better or worse than any other gun, I just liked it because it was a 270 and it was "neat." I now own a .22 (for plinking), a ..223 (for varmints) a 270 and 270 wsm (mostly for antelope and deer) and a 300 win mag (mostly for elk). All guns are only shot with one type bullet. I realize not everyone can own more than one gun or reloads. Which brings me back to my point. Buy the gun you like, load or buy a good bullet in it and then learn to shoot it. After that, shoot and practice some more. I'm climbing down off my soap box now. I love this site because there is so much knowledge to be shared here and I learn everytime I visit it (usually 3-4 times a day.) Thanks for listening.

Posts: 39 | Location: Casper, WY | Registered: 18 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good points indeed. Needless to say, incurable rifle-nuts like most of us in here need something to argue about, so the discussions go on: might this option be better than that? Good fun, though.
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A .300 may not kill them any better then a .270 on a well placed shot. But from my experience not all shots from even the best shooters are well placed and the .300 gives you more margin for error.

Posts: 543 | Location: Belmont, MI | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Born to Hunt
posted Hide Post
Jumpalot,
I couldn't agree more! I have a .270, 7mm Mag, 300 Rem SAUM, a couple of .243's, and three .22's. I still want some more rifles. Each time I face my wife with the possibility of buying another, I give her the reasons most gun guys give each other concerning why one caliber is better than the other. In reality, I need another gun like I need another hole in the head. The point is, we like it!!! Life is short. I plan to be happy.

Posts: 336 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 03 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted Hide Post
Sounds like we grew up the same way.I too own a .300 Win Mag.But I got it so I could pass my .270 on to my wife and son.I have seen a difference in killing power or shock if you will between the .300 and .270 on Elk but dead is dead.I have taken way more with the .270 than my .300 only because I started useing the .270 and Noslers at about sixteen.WOW,that makes me old.My wife shot her last two with a 8MM Mauser and factory fodder.Bullet and bullet placement is the key in my mind,not caliber.I have seen them shot from a .357 Mag pistol and .22-250 on up.

Best of luck.Jayco.

Posts: 565 | Location: Central Idaho | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote: jaycocreek > Sounds like we grew up the same way
Gezz ok let me get this right here and now
Ever one of us grew up getting a 270 Rifle (right)
Next we were ( given or bought ) a 300 win mag>
right so far!
Next most if not all of us were shown how and were to kill the game be it Elk Deer Bear etc Right !?

Are we at all related some how ?

My father used to take trip's now and again . i ant going to say it but ?

And he was quite old when he past away ya dont think?
He was rather cough cough for an old guy

Or could it be that there were just father's out there that did spent time with there kid's showing them the right way and the wrong way.

One shot is all it takes son ! take your time and do it right the first time

Pottsy

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I must just be stubborn Their is no way I am ever giving up my 270's

Posts: 1010 | Registered: 03 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
nope - had to start with a 32 Win special here. My dad did however show me how to do it right....at least i think so. The .270 didn't come around for a few years then I worked up that latter to a .300 WM and now I'm working my way back down. Probably end up with another .270.......

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.308 is THE one-rifle-man's rifle!

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The right bullet in the right place will work out of all of them.
I gave up need after my first 06. Hell it is just fun to have differant ones to play with.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hawaiian_Hunter
posted Hide Post
I started shooting with my Dad's 1903 Springfield which began my love affair with the 30-06. In the last 35 years i've accumilated quite a selection of firearms but always grab the 30-06 (model 70 Win) for open range hunting, never had a need for anything else, accept when hunt forest hogs, then my Marlin 94 44 mag is first choice. All my other guns are just for fun.

Posts: 158 | Location: Moku Manu, Hawai'i | Registered: 23 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of OldFart
posted Hide Post
I could never give up my 270 because I need it for my medium sized deer. Now for large deer I use a 30-06, small Elk require a 7mm Mag, Medium Elk need ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
This is just my opinion but I think the reason .270 win's do so well is because all of the .270 caliber bullets were/are made specifically for that cartridge. Up until recently the .270 win and .270 Weatherby were the only common calibers with the .270 win probably out selling the weatherby 20+ to 1. Because of this I think all the bullets perform really well unlike some other calibers.

Posts: 179 | Location: Boise, ID | Registered: 16 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jump:

Very Well Said. Shot placement!!

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Forewerquestion...I have solved like this...
I have cals .22lr 22-250 3006 .375 45-70 .
With theese I cover ewerything in hunting.I reload,two or three bullets max on each cal.One for hunting,another for practising and so on..During the years I have found the most accurate and (suitable)poverfull loads.In hunting,the most important is the shooting skill,this you get only with practising,different targets,distances,moving target,etc.
During 30 yrs period I have practised (and competition)500 to 6000 shots/y .I have not found hunting situations so difficult(ewen they are that).You must have the the skill to think and act(if)in one second..

Elias

Posts: 45 | Location: Finland | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Gentlemen

next logical step from a 6,5/6,8/7mm is a rifle larger than 30 cal. My opinion is a 338 or 9,3

6,8X64 is a fantastic round that I really like

Cheers
/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
tasunkawitko- I whole heartedly agree, but then I went out and bought a Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70 . I did however chose the 308 as my first rifle as I figured it would be my only one for a while and I am so pleased with it and the 308 cartridge. As much fun as my 45-70 is when I was hunting the Savage in 308 got the nod a lot more.

Posts: 257 | Location: Long Beach | Registered: 25 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JOHAN :
I love my 9.3x64 ber/ But were i live and how i hunt
it only work's well for canyon hunting in eastern Oregon
for me thats not to say in any way the cal. is unsuited
by any mean's I just prefer to use it in place's were the tree's are fewer then 30 yard's apart and on Elk that are no more then 250 yard's away .
I hate to run after game . I use the Nosler bullet's i have left thay stopped making the one's i used but i still have
Over 300 of the 286 grain bullets I got mine from
Tony Sailer same place i got my Rigby Brass .
I do love that old 9.3 and it's one rifle i would not sell for love ner money..

Pottsy

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of lofter
posted Hide Post
17 hmr .22 6mm rem 243 win 257 wby 6.5x55 6.5-284 norma 270 win 284 win 7mm-08 7mm mag 7mm rum 30.06 300 Win 7.62-54R 7.62-39.....oh my gawd....204ruger on order

Posts: 411 | Location: Southeastern Pa | Registered: 30 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Right on Tasunkawitko
I love my 308 also. Come to think of it, I love all my guns. It's the rifle action thing that I am getting in my mid life crisis. I got bit by this strange bug several years ago and I just can�t shake it off. I have been a bolt action guy from my youth. It seems all I want these days though is a lever gun. The only exception would be the 303 British. Got to get one of those.

Oh, I know what it is called.

The Lever bug.

30-30 Man

My next Rifle will be a 45-70 Marlin Cowboy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am only a short way in to my .375 H&H career but already I can see it definitely is the best all rounder in existence. While the .375 is not my favourite it is the most practical round in existence IMHO.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Marlin 94?

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A case can be made for buying a rifle chambered for a common round such as 30-06. If you travel, airlines require your rifle and cartridges be packed in seperate bags. Don't even THINK of bringing cartridges in your carry-on luggage. It is perfectly possible to find yourself in the middle of nowhere with no slugs for your wildcat, obscure European, or new whiz-bang magnum rifle.
I went hunting in Alaska once with a .338-06 and I worried the whole trip up there.

Posts: 345 | Location: Dauphin Island, Alabama, USA | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've gotten into a bad habit. Whenever I consider a new rifle I ask "what will this do that my .30-06 won't?" This slows my buying/shopping/daydreaming. How do I break this habit?

Posts: 141 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 16 July 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replys. I guess I just thought it too much of a pain to keep track of what powder for what bullets and then having to move my scope around, so I just buy new guns. It's more fun!!!!

Posts: 39 | Location: Casper, WY | Registered: 18 October 2002Reply With Quote