New
Find
Notify
Tools

Balistics and elevation
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have sighted my rifle at 2500ft elevation. I will be taking this rifle to hunt at 1200+ ft. What will be the changes to tradjectory, ie. bullet drop and hold over? Is there a rule of thumb--like instead of three inches high at 100 yards sight at 2 inches high?

Going soon so I will appreciate any information.

Jim

Posts: 383 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada | Registered: 25 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I noticed an error in my post. I mean 12000ft not 1200.

Jim

Posts: 383 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada | Registered: 25 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That won't be an issue for you. Just pay attention to uphill / downhill shooting - your bullet will not drop as much when compared to a level shot.

Posts: 694 | Location: Des Moines, Iowa, USA | Registered: 09 January 2001Reply With Quote
<David King>
posted
I did some tests with a 300 Win mag a few years back. I sighted (zeroed) the rifle and had data to 1000 yards at 600ft ASL. Once on site in Colorado (10,300ft ASL) I rechecked the rifles' zero and verified the computer generated long range data for 11,000ft ASL. My 100 yard zero had shifted by 1 MOA (as had the zero on my partners rifle) and once we re-zeroed the rifles the computer generated ballistic data tracked very well. Essentially the 600ft ASL data was good data to about 400 yards at 10,300ft ASL, that's when the deviation due to geographic elevation began. The computer generated 11,000ft ASL data was good and we verified this by shooting targets to 800 yards. The difference seemed to become apparent at 400 yards and amounted to a decrease in required elevation adjustment that amounted to an accumulating 1 MOA for every 100 yards beyond 400. In other words, at 10,300ft ASL a 500 yard shot required 1 MOA less than at 600ft ASL, a 600 yards shot required 2 MOA less, 700 yards = 3MOA less. Wind adjustment is also effected by high altitude.

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
If you go to Huntingnut.com, you can down load Pointblank for free. It lets you play with that sort of thing. Great little program. HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
<phurley>
posted
I have been hunting at the 8,500 ft. elevation since 1992 in Colorado, after setting my rifle up at 365 ft. I have never had a problem with the POI changing enough to make adjustments. I witnessed a buddy make a successful lazer measured 600 yard shot with a rifle I set up. I limit myself to 350 yard shots because of my eyes, not my equipment. It is capable of much more. [Wink] Good luck and good shooting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your collective valuable information. It seems like on this forum somebody has always " been there done that ". A great source of information. I am off to Krygyzstan the end of the month.
Jim

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Lucky dog! Marco Polo Sheep on the menu?? That is one of my top 3 dream hunts.

Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What Canuck said!!! jhaney, good luck and let us know how the hunt goes. Definitely something I intend to do before I can't get that high in the mountains anymore.

[ 10-02-2002, 04:37: Message edited by: Yukon Jack ]

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote