New
Find
Notify
Tools

Boar bullets
 Login/Join

<ABC>
posted
I hunt wild boar with a Rem 7400 carbine 30/06. The last year i used Rem 180 bronze point, killed two boar wery well. The boar aren't big, no more than 200 lbs, but is not possible to make accurate shot. Fast shooting at very fast moving target at no more than 50 yrds. I like to use my reloads and i'm using 180grs Hornady SP (jam from the magazine) as first shot and 150grs (can't find 180) bronze point for the following. What do you think?
Abc

<Bill>
posted
I would use the 180's. A 200 lb pis isn't going to carry much lead.

Personally I would stick with the same cartrideges in the gun.

------------------
www.rifleshooter.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 180 Rem Corelokt RN, that I buy in bulk for next to nothing is the best bullet you can use for boar, and not bad for anything else.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with the other guys. I would not choose to use a Bronze Point on a hog, especially not the 150's. Those bullets are really a precursor to the Ballistic Tip style and tend to come apart.

Like Ray says, a 180 grain Remington or similar bullet will work fine. I cannot imagine why a Hornady would jam from the magazine. You might want to try Speer or Sierra 180 grain bullets, maybe the tangent ogive will feed better than the secant ogive on the Hornady.

Just my opinion, R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
<ABC>
posted
I've tried with Federal 150 and 180 Hi shock, Win 150 power point, sellier & bellot 150 and 180grs, reloads with Rem 165 core-lockt and Hornady 180 sp, my rem7400 work reliably only with Bronze Point and Ballistic tip. As i say we shoot pigs followed by hounds, they go wery fast and good shoot placement is not possible. We want the pigs to go down fast at the shoot because they can wound or kill the hounds. Here in Italy the use of semiauto rifle is recent issue, there is not a tradition of use, where are more and more discovering their superiority against the slug loaded shotguns. From the experience of other hunters the light bullets are better killer.
The best combo is considered the Browning BAR in 300 win mag, someone tried the 338wm but, incredible to believe, the pigs don't go down suddenly, pheraps too hard bullets.

Abc

<Steve in MI>
posted
I was hunting boar in TN at Ken Moodys ranch. I was invited on a hunt with a friend.I was using a bow a few other where using a gun. I watched a guy shoot a 300+ lb boar with the 450 marlin it dropped right there done . Bulet went through both of the shoulder plates. Pass through shot at slighty under 75 yrds. Bullet weight was 300 grn I believe, I was impressed.