Find
Notify
Tools

Texas exotics in 2015
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
Looking for a big ranch, that doesn't feel like I am in someone's back yard.

I'd like to hunt the tail end of whitetail season, and be able to add some exotics. Not talking about corsicans or feral sheep or goats. Nothing that had an ear tag or lip tattoo and ran through the auction barn on the Saturday before we get there.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
YO is a pretty big one (29,000 acres)and you might even run into the Nuge there! I see it just went up for sale last week due to partner disagreements or some such thing and the asking price is only 85 million!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Might want to check out this site:
http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php

I'm moving to TX next month and have been looking. They have an entire forum for exotics. I'm pretty sure someone on that forum can point you in the right direction.

By the way, if you are retired military (hint, hint, hint) you can hunt exotics on Ft. Hood down by Waco.

Posts: 1351 | Location: CO born, but in Athens, TX now. | Registered: 03 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Topgun,

We were on the YO earlier this year. Did the family photo safari, kids got licked by the pet Giraffe it's a neat old place. Problem with the YO, is that the family can't agree on anything and the ranch experience ends up looking like bafoonery.

A couple of the staff really care about what is going on. BUT, they are pretty vocal that since the Grandad died the place has gone to shit.

TommyII,

Thanks man, I'll check it out. Didn't know about that bit at all.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Recordbuck ranch.

Posts: 782 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 03 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by woodsie:
Recordbuck ranch.

I guess I should take a look at the Exotic Wildlife Association Magazine.

That looks like a stellar place. I have a small list of exotics that aren't available anywhere else I am interested in.

Hopeful to take a couple in 2015.

Wildlife Systems is one of the places I am thinking about going in South Texas.

They have free ranging nilgai and the ranch they are on has tons of other exotics for good prices. Bastard of a drive from here, and not much else around there for the family.

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Do you want to buy a ranch with exotics or hunt on a ranch with exotics?

if you are buying a hunt and the ranch is high fence, make sure it's fair chase. There are a lot of operations that divide big ranches into small pastures and you drive and around and point and shoot. Won't name any, but do your homework. There are plenty of low fence exotic ranches and high fence places that are huge and fair chase.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We aren't in the market anymore down there.

If something changes for us and I can get back to the hill country we would like that.

Just looking for a good place to knock over some of the Jungle Book animals I have wanted to hunt my whole life.

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Without a doubt, I recommend the Star S Ranch in Mason County, TX. Here is their website: http://www.star-s-ranch.com/

The ranch is 10,000 acres and one of the finest hunting properties I've ever been to. The property is divided into four hunting areas: two 4,000 acre sections and two 1,000 acre sections. This is mostly to keep certain species separated and prevent cross breeding. They have one of the finest herds of Kudu, Sable, and Gemsbok in the U.S. as well as several other hard to find species (Nubian Ibex, Alpine Ibex, Dama Gazelle, etc...)

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3110 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote