New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sitka core vs merino core baselayer
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What are everyone's thoughts on the core poly vs core merino baselayer from Sitka? I'm looking at temperatures from 0-60* for my usual hunting. My only base layer to date is the Cabela's ECWS system, for comparison. Looking to upgrade before I head to NF this fall.

Posts: 1449 | Location: New England | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From long distance cycling in the 80's to current day hunting, IMHO it s hard to beat Merino Wool.

Just one man's opinion.

ya!

GWB

https://blog.skis.com/merino-w...ter-best-base-layer/

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
I think Merino Wool is great stuff. I started wearing it this year and there will be more of it among my hunting clothing next year.

Posts: 3916 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cooperjd
posted Hide Post
I do not have the sitka merino; but i do have other brands of merino, and i have the sitka core poly.

it depends on your movement imo. the sitka is heavier and i use it for much, much colder conditions when i am not moving as much. if im' in the mountains moving it's lighter merino for me.

Posts: 784 | Location: Mt Pleasant, SC | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd look at icebreaker merino wool, shirts, you can get in different weights. Very high quality.

Posts: 504 | Location: California | Registered: 04 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I have some first light long underweare shirts. I think they are about 6 years old.

They have only been worn about 3 or 4 times. Everytime I was them they have a new hole in them.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve got quite a bit of minus33 merino shirts. Wool is wRm for its weight the downside is the durability. I usually buy 6 shirts every winter and by spring there trashed. I wear them for work 5-7 days a week during winter and usually wash once weekly. If you are a taller man minus 33 is about the only place I e found that makes the tall in 100% wool.

one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
I can't comment on the Sitka but I am a newfound fan of Brynje thermo mesh for a base layer. Do a little research before discounting it for its looks, as it is a favorite among Everest climbers.

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
Sitka core poly will make you smell so bad you won’t be able to stand yourself by the end of the day.
Merino is the way to go.

Forget Sitka. If you ever have a issue with their product, they will not back it.

Icebreaker and minus 33 are the way to go for merino. Both are high quality. I’ve never had a issue with either brand.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1220 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been wearing SmartWool merino wool base layers and socks since 2003. Nothing better, and merino continues to keep you warm even after it gets wet. It’s my base layer unless temps get 55 or greater.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TREE 'EM:
Sitka core poly will make you smell so bad you won’t be able to stand yourself by the end of the day.
Merino is the way to go.

Forget Sitka. If you ever have a issue with their product, they will not back it.

Icebreaker and minus 33 are the way to go for merino. Both are high quality. I’ve never had a issue with either brand.

Bingo

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys. I'll check out the brands mentioned.

Posts: 1449 | Location: New England | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote