THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Opinions On American Big Game Contests
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions On American Big Game Contests
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my original post I said:
I don't know about everyone else, but I find that I have no interest in going on a hunt alone (or just with a guide).
I can make my point with an example.
I took my adult son on an Oct 2015 guided elk hunt to Wyoming. It was a paid for 10 day hunt. My son got his elk after 4 days and was scheduled to return home on the 6th day (Had to go back to work). I had not gotten my elk, so I could have remained in camp for at least 3 additional hunting days. If so I would have been the only hunter left in camp. The 6 other hunters had all gone hom. I elected to leave with my son rather than stay and continue hunting. My guide was a quiet guy and probably wouldn't have said more than a few words each day and at night he elected to eat alone and not with the hunters as the other guides in camp had been doing. I did not see prospects of comeradery if I stayed, although I could have added a few more memories to those already achieved on this trip.
Just saying: I much prefer to share my hunting experiences with friends than to just go out to find and kill something.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
I do not think you are alone in that, but not all guides/outfitters are the same way as the one you mentioned.

I did my first Guided Elk hunt in 1992, Lora and I have been friends with the Guide and his family since then. I still go up on an occasional Late Season cow elk hunt and we are good friends.

I am not saying that is normal, but it isn't all that uncommon.

One of the reasons I started guiding hunters was because I don't like hunting by myself, plain and simple. I will do it when I have too, but I would rather not do it.

Sorry for making a cluster out of your question.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote