Safari Nordik
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anybody hunted with Safari Nordik?

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I hunted bear with them in the spring of 95. Never again. Worst hunt of my life. Had some buddies that hunted with them in fall of 95 for caribou. That was shady also. I've heard they have changed hands but if George Perpard (sp?) is involved I'd steer clear. PM me if you want the details.

Posts: 136 | Location: PA | Registered: 16 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Damn! Not what I wanted to hear Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark... I hunted Quebec 'bou in '98 and have studied a lot of hunt reports since then... Hunting in Quebec can be a crap game, perhaps more than most other places.. Some years the migrations have not been real dependable and there are lots of crooks up there...

Safari Nordik, since around '98 at least, has seemed like a pretty reputable outfit...Most folks that I have heard from were satisfied with thier hunts with SN... I wouldn't be afraid to book with them...

One outfitter that seems to stand out above most of the others in Quebec, however, is HUME... lots of good reports on his camps..I have a couple of buddies that are hunting with him in Sept. of this year and I can get thier reports when they return...

Posts: 119 | Location: Addison, NY | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
think real hard before you go with them....or for that matter with any outfitter in Quebec. Though Quebec is part of Canada the majority of the Quebec natives think of it as French. I just yesterday came back from a fishing trip and my last trip to Quebec EVER! The people there treated us ( Americans) with a cold shoulder. We stopped at 3 different motels while enroute to our outfitter to spend the night. All 3 said, "sorry all booked up"though the lots were nearly empty. The 4th rented us a room but charged 15% more than the exchange rate. Why I asked the clerk...because you are from America.
Now I am home and not going back fact is I am now saying BOYCOTT Quebec~ NEW France!)

one of us
posted Hide Post
"Hunting in Quebec can be a crap game"

Yeah, I've heard this before The more I think about it the more I feel like I'll be money ahead to book with a US booking agent. The hunt may cost more but in the long run it may be worth it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Go to Alaska, book either a drop camp or a guided deal depending what you can afford. If there are caribou in the area you do not need a guide.
a great drop camp I have used there is Talon Air Service, Soldotna, Ak., you can rent your camping gear from them cheap! and once they drop you off they don't care if you stay 1 day or 1 month...the cost for them is in the flying you out and comming back to get you. you see grizzlies and catch plenty of salmon too for around $1200.
I go every September.
Another thing you shouldn't have to pay more to use a booking service here in the US..they get paid by the outfitter.
In short Quebec just plain sucks. iffy migrations,poor treatment by natives of Quebec and being over charged. Kanguk and Hume are the only 2 I would use in Quebec. BB

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was talking to a guy the other night and he said a non-resdent could no longer take two caribou? Is this true? How many days do you hunt? I'd do this in heart beat if it wasn't for my wife? She's more than a little concerned about just the two of us going. I'd like to learn more about your trips, if you'd e-mail me your contact info I'd be glad to call you. BTW, I'll be out of town next week.

one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
Mark
Last year, in a couple GMU's 17/19 they went from 2 to 1.I have done this hunt, DIY in AK a number of times.I have solo'ed and taken my wife.If you have common sense,good outdoor skills and good equiptment it is very do-able for you and your wife.

If guided is your thing...Check out Nunami Outfitters and
Couragous Lake for caribou hunts.Nunami hunts Quebec
west of and later than the hordes to the east.They are one
of 3 I believe to operate west of and on native lands.
They are killing big bou,with big aggregates as they near
the rut.But once again...expensive.
http://www.nunami-outfitters.com/siteindex.html

John's Couragous Lake also has a great rep for good hunting
limited access with good animals.
http://www.courageouslake.com/Display.asp?Page=Home

From The Hunt Report
Animals Sought: Caribou, central Canada barren ground; Caribou, Quebec-Labrador

Caribou hunting remains one of the best hunting opportunities in Canada. During one of these hunts, a hunter can see many animals, have the opportunity to bag two bulls and enjoy a true wilderness experience. Unfortunately, many caribou hunters return home disappointed in their hunts because they just didn�t see any caribou. Enter the two outfitters I am covering this month. Clients who hunt with these operators tend to see lots of animals and often take B & C trophies. One of these outfitters offers barren ground caribou in Northwest Territories; the other hunts Quebec-Labrador caribou. I highly recommend both for their quality, full-service camps, and I consider each my first choice for their respective caribou subspecies. The first outfit is Courageous Lake Caribou Camps, run by John........

I like the DIY best.
Just my .02
Jeff

Posts: 2482 | Location: Alaska....At heart | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote