Notify
Tools

UP to the Task?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Would you guys consider a bullet up to the task, for game as large as Elk,

if test results yielded ALL the following results:

Penetration of Ballistic Gelation at 300 yds: 18 inches....

Bullet expanding to double its bore size....

75 % weight retension.. NO core separation

All at 300 yds?????

What do you guys think????

I'm thinking that is pretty god statistics, when I am not usually swayed by statistics....

Thanks in advance...

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bullet failures will often happen at close range, not at 300 yds. A fellow I met in Africa shot 190 grs Hornady BTs in his .300 Win Mag. All went well until he had a close shot at a kudu. Then the bullet fell apart, and he had a problem on his hands - which was fortunately solved, with a bit of good luck thrown in.

Not only will bullet failure most often show up at close range, but in bullets with conventional design, the penetration depth is often inversely related to impact speed. I.e. at higher speed, expansion is more violent and expanded bullet diameter greater, consequently the penetration depth is reduced.

Only you can really tell whether your test scenario matches expected conditions where you intend to hunt. Additionally, only you can tell what impact speed you have currently performed your tests at, and what muzzle velocity you are getting.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I think this one will stir a good conversation!

Likely you could get these results with a bullet/cartridge combo that many have spoken quite poorly of. In fact I wouldn't be shocked if these results were from a smallbore.

In my opinion you'd have to test at several ranges, and use a test media of varying densities. Like a wet phonebook in front of the gel, where the bullet has some denser mat'l to get through before the gel.

It does however demonstrate how a well placed shot, even from an "inadequate" round can be quite leathal. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
so how into the equation does hitting a big shoulder bone fit? or how much gel equals a double lung hit without hitting a rib? its all hypothetical.

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rather than 300 yds how about an impact velocity of say 2400 fps? The failures I've experienced were at close range, under 100 yds or under 50 yds. I use Hornady's for deer and antelope but prefer Nosler Partitions for elk, difference? Deer and antelope shot at 200 yds plus, elk shot at under 100 yds.

Posts: 763 | Location: Montana | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
I would have to have a decent idea of the bullet diameter, mass, and velocity to judge it's effectiveness on the game of choice.

You could get those results with a .17 or .224 caliber and not have an elk capable round IMO.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MrHawg
posted Hide Post
Until you get that performance at 1200 yards, after the bullet has passed thru branches, bones and guts and only drops the animal in its tracks, there will be people that call anything else a failure.

Posts: 244 | Location: Margaritaville | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When shooting any animal elk sized or bigger, or bears and lions, I would recommend a "premium" bullet that is designed so that a close range 'blow up' failure in not very likely.
Designs such as the Woodleigh, Nosler Partition, Trophy Bonded Bearclaw, Swift A Frame, Fail Safe, Barnes X.
Which of those bullets I pick depend on the muzzle velocity I am shooting.
For instance at Nitro Express double rifle velocities the Woodleighs are great, in a Weatherby big bore I would go with a Swift, TB or Barnes X.

A well designed Premium bullet just give you a little bit of insurance.
After all it is the bullet that does all the "work". I want the best one for the job that money can buy.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sea-what bullet and start speed are you talking about?

Thanks

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote