Find
Notify
Tools

Gun rags and gun writers.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted
Just wanted to inquire if any of you have any favorite gun writers and what you like about them. Current or past. Two of my favorites are O'Connor and Dave Scoville. I always admired Jacks way with words and I like Dave Scovilles down to earth approach. One of my favorite Dave Scoville quotes is "Who cares about shooting tiny holes in paper, I'm going hunting". Cool

Posts: 10157 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
I really enjoyed Finn Aagaard. He had more experience hunting than most hunting writers and his writing had a down to earth quality.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Skeeter Skelton was one of my faves.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3829 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Finn Aagard for me also. His writing always seemed very practical. I also like Craig Boddington regardless of any negative publicity he may have had in recent years. The guy has been there and done that as a client hunter more than most anyone.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12915 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Finn Aagard. Well written articles with backgroud and common sense information. He didn't have to rely on computer written graphs or charts filched from a load book to hide the fact that he was offering little real information.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed John Wotters writing.

Posts: 215 | Location: BRF mid west WI. | Registered: 28 February 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Jack O'Connor was the best ever. Modern writer would go to John Barsness. Favorite local writer was Don Lewis. I like to read Col. Charles Askins for a chuckle.

Posts: 18 | Location: northeast | Registered: 19 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm a John Barsness fan. He has proven to me to be a no BS sort of guy.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Barsness has a conversational style of writing. I like his work very much.

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
O'Connor, Keith, Aagard, Ross Seyfried, Jim Carmichael, John Wooters, Byron Dalrymple, Russel Tinsley were the ones I remember best.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bob Milek

Never follow a bad move with a stupid move.

Posts: 217 | Location: Clute, TX USA | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Elmer Keith...
and

Craig Boddington.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, Sheriff Jim and Massad for guns, Towesley for fixings and DIY gunwork, Van Zwoll for elk, he's out there doing it and Chuck Adams with his archery of which I just read about. Whole bunch of others.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5956 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bob Hagel for me.

Posts: 208 | Location: S.W. Wyoming | Registered: 31 May 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
In days gone by, we had no choice but to read whatever is written in gun magazine.

Jack O'Connor, Elmer Keith, Bob Milek and all the ones mentioned above.

Sadly, many of the things they wrote as fact I have found out to be not.

The same goes to old timers writing about African hunting.

They took a lot of liberties of stating things as facts.

The long time arguments between O'Connor and Keith were very amusing.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67325 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
JO'C

Do they still make a 270? Wink

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I liked Ross Siefried and Jeff Cooper.

Posts: 5706 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ross Seyfried, Bob Milek, Elmer Keith, PHC, Gene Hill, Craig Boddington, John Barsness, Jack Lott, Finn, Tom Turpin on custom guns, John Taffin, Massad Ayoob, Nick Harvey in Aus, and many more I can't recall!

Wasn't fond of O'Connors style of writing, sorry!

DRSS

Posts: 1916 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wayne Van Zwoll
No one packs more solid info into an article than he does. And, his writing skills have improved considerably over the years.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of don444
posted Hide Post
I always liked Bob Milek!

Posts: 551 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by don444:
I always liked Bob Milek!

Bob once wrote that the .243 Winchester was marginal for deer, because it does not have enough energy.

But the .357 Magnum is great for deer?

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67325 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gary Sitton was my all time favorite with Ross Seyfried a close second.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jack grew up reading him.

He took me hunting in places I can only dream of.

As with all writers they take liberties with their stories. Some of that is what makes them worth/fun reading.

Posts: 19428 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Aagard, OConnor, Milek, Taffin.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4238 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I found most of them to be pompous. Only ones I liked were Turpin, Milek and Wooters. The rest are fantasy builders.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brice:
Wayne Van Zwoll
No one packs more solid info into an article than he does. And, his writing skills have improved considerably over the years.

I like Wayne a lot too. I think he is a lot like Finn Aagard in that he has a no nonsense approach, and he strikes me as someone who tries not to get too caught up in the Commercial aspect of hunting.

Posts: 10157 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting how all these writers had a profound positive effect on me as a youngster.
I had one very negative experience with one (Jim Zumbo) back in the 80's.
There was a little honey hole for big Elk in west central New Mexico (I will not share the name) that we archery hunted for three years always saw very large elk and I stuck a whopper Couse deer. It was inexpensive to hunt this area in those days and I was a poor boy.
There was never an instance where all the tags were drawn for this area. Then Mr. Zumbo wrote about it (Biggest Bulls I have ever seen) and there were thousands upon thousands of applications for those tags / permits. No longer any easy draws.
Thanks Jim…
Oh well, hard to keep secrets these days especially with all the social media.

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Then Mr. Zumbo wrote about it

I have found when people start doing things for money all kinds of ethics go out the window.

Cash and fame are powerful motivators. I have seen the same with good fishing spots.

Some body decides to make a buck writing about it next thing you know every body is there.

Posts: 19428 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:
Then Mr. Zumbo wrote about it

I have found when people start doing things for money all kinds of ethics go out the window.

Cash and fame are powerful motivators. I have seen the same with good fishing spots.

Some body decides to make a buck writing about it next thing you know every body is there.

Boy isn't that the truth...unfortunately.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Learned my lesson the hard way about talking to authors. Mentioned casually to a fellow Springer enthusiast and author the general area I hunt in. The next thing you know he was writing articles about the place and to top it all off he started a guide service in the area. Needless to say I no longer talk to him and am very careful about who I share info with. Sad how money changes things.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brian Pierce is one of my favorite all round gun writers especially handguns.I like Barsness a lot.Phil Shoemaker for no BS gun writing.Ross Seyfried when he does not get too arrogant.Even that Whitworth guy has some good articles Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunting story writer: Jack O'Connor
Rifle story rifle: Wayne Van Zwoll
Cartridge information writer: Ken Waters
BS artist to be avoided: John Barsness

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Craig Boddington is my favorite. He has more hunting experience than most. Good stuff.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of OldFart
posted Hide Post
Bob Milek and Warren Page

One of Us
Picture of Lee Baumgart
posted Hide Post
Ross Seyfried

Posts: 570 | Location: Vancouver, WA | Registered: 28 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ray B:
Hunting story writer: Jack O'Connor
Rifle story rifle: Wayne Van Zwoll
Cartridge information writer: Ken Waters
BS artist to be avoided: John Barsness

Funny you mention JB in this context. I always liked his style and enjoyed his work...until I interacted with him on another forum.

He's condescending, arrogant and downright confrontational to those whom he disagrees with.

My last words to him were to the effect; Why would a man who makes his living with the written word, denigrate those whom simply disagree. gentlemen can disagree without being disagreeable.

Like Boddington, Pappas on DR's, Van Zwoll, Aagaard.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3438 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Elmer Keith- mostly because he turned me on to so many other aspects of firearms: double rifles, big bore rifles, big bore revolvers, custom gun smithing, African hunters, etc. I would have loved to have met him.

Others- Cal Pappas, Jeff cooper, enjoyed Xavier's thoughts while did it.

Posts: 1279 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And Wayne van Zwoll, John Taffin.

Posts: 1279 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aagard and Boddington...more experience than most and down to earth writing style.

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote