Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Antelope Identification
 Login/Join

posted
I just drew antelope tage for Montana. This will be my first hunt for speed goats.

What are the tricks for identifying antelope? Fawn vs Doe vs Buck vs Large Buck

Posts: 14 | Location: Commerce Twp, MI | Registered: 15 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Bucks have a black cheek patch, does don't.

Big buck have prongs that start above the ears and long top points.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12705 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you see a lone doe antelope the odds are it's a fawn.

Posts: 35 | Location: Wyo | Registered: 09 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michgander65:
I just drew antelope tage for Montana. This will be my first hunt for speed goats.

What are the tricks for identifying antelope? Fawn vs Doe vs Buck vs Large Buck

The cheek patch isn't always prominent, and does with horns are not uncommon. Take a close look at a lone antelope before you shoot, it might be a dry doe and it might be a yearling buck. A lone fawn looks bigger than it really is, to add to the confusion. I am your basic meat hunter, can't add much about the magnificence of horns.
The herd buck usually brings up the rear, from what I've seen. Often as not, the lead goat is a wary old doe.

Mind the wind, distances are tricky. Remember there will be another shot tomorrow, if the one today doesn't look quite right...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14620 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ivan
posted Hide Post
A fawn will be small of course, and have a short looking face. Does can have horns, but the longest I've ever seen were about 3" and about as big around as you finger.

Young bucks may be missing thier cheek patch (black/brown) but you can usually see thier horns which will be 3-5" long and about 1-1/2 wide at the base.

Mature Bucks have a black face and cheek patch with horns that will be easy to see, 12" or more.

Posts: 576 | Location: The Green Fields | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
easy ....the stupid ones are the bucks. The smart wary ones are the does. Does lead the herd and bucks amble around.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Michgander65: What I noticed during my September antelope hunt to Wyoming a few years ago was that when I spotted a group of antelope milling about, if there was one standing off to the side of the main group, that was the herd buck keeping an eye on his harem.

Being that you are from Michigan, I am assuming you are a woodland deer hunter. If that is the case, get ready for an adventure. The wide open antelope country is quite a change from the 100 yard visibility we typically hunt in whitetail country. I will never forget the times I would look through my 10X binoculars and spot an antelope a mile away, only to instantly notice that he was already looking at me!

And don't get caught up in the notion that you will need to take 300 - 400 + yard shots. I pulled off a 1 mile stalk and shot my buck while he was bedded with his does at 163 yards.

Here is a good book about pronghorn hunting that I can recommend:

http://www.amazon.com/Pronghorn-Hunting-Complete-Hunter...id=1221154476&sr=1-2

Have a great trip!

Thanks, Dad, for taking me into the Great Outdoors.

Posts: 226 | Location: Western Maryland | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
michigander -

this pretty much covers it:

http://www.baitshopboyz.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11453

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot this one in the open at 50 yards last year and I'm definitely not hard to miss. I spotted him going toward a known hangout and just laid down where I stood.

Patience is the key to a successful antelope hunt. If you blow a stalk, there will be others. Don't rush a stalk either.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Patience is the key to a successful antelope hunt. If you blow a stalk, there will be others. Don't rush a stalk either.

+1

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
Besides horn length (prongs starting above the ears is great advice)

Look for really heavy paddles (the area below the prongs). Mass can often seriously increase more than half the antelopes total score. You only have one "pure" horn length measurement in and antelopes score. You have base and two median circumferences. The prong score is augmented by extra heavy horns.

Look for length, extra heavy horns (base wider than the base of ear or significantly wider than eye diameter), ivory horn tips and good hooks.

Like this one, that was still running around in Wyoming as of a couple days ago.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To Judge a trophy buck antelope you have two sections of horn, the first is from the base of the skull to the tip of the first prong.

The second section is from the first prong to the tip of the horns, so just remember that the first prong is the secret..If the second section (top section) is as long as the first section then he is reaching trophy class. the first section should be as long as the head from base of horn to the nose...

Then take into account the hook or curve of the tips and the more pronounced the curve then the better the trophy..

Then look at the mass, a real sho nuff buck will have bases as wide as your hand, but good bucks start at 2.5 inches wide, and can be less if they have the length. Take notice of the spread as that also enhances the trophy.

If the second section of the horn is longer than the first section then shoot and ask questions later....This is what YOU need to keep in mind as you have not juged many bucks. Even if its AS LONG, you should go ahead and shoot in your case as all this sizing up has to be done at a glance in many cases and being new to Antelope you may not have that much time.

I hope I have not confused you, but its really simple and quick once you have done it one or two times..fortunately I was raised on a ranch over run with Mule Deer, Coues deer and Antelope and got a lot of practice judging them over the years guiding for my dad.

Good luck and forget about the black spot, just look at the horns, and don't just shoot the first buck you see..In good antelope country you should see a number of bucks every day.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys! All this information really helps. Mostly I was just trying to avoid shooting a yearly through ignorance.

Chuck

Posts: 14 | Location: Commerce Twp, MI | Registered: 15 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Click here, this is what your are looking for:

buck antelope

buck antelope

mounted antelope

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc:
Click here, this is what your are looking for:

buck antelope

buck antelope

mounted antelope

Yep, that's what I'm looking for in a few weeks in Wyoming. If only...

BTW, I never consciously noticed the similarity (shown in your signature), but I must have noticed on an unconscious level 'cuz I've been driving Dodge trucks since I was 16.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DesertRam:

BTW, I never consciously noticed the similarity (shown in your signature), but I must have noticed on an unconscious level 'cuz I've been driving Dodge trucks since I was 16.

Big Grin

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns