Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold QRW Rings Question
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Leo M
posted
How are the Leupold QRW rings, these are the ones for Weaver basses? How are their other brand, the one with the stud on the ring? I am looking for a guick release setup for a .308 semi-auto rifle, not a dangerous game rifle. I know people like the Talley and Warne, but I was just wondering if the Leupold is good enough for this type of rifle.

Posts: 188 | Location: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: 25 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Leo,

Originally the QRW rings had a cylindrical steel crossbolt which could peen alloy aluminum bases. They changed that to a square cross-section.

They work, and are cheaper that the Talley. I have both.

jim dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
I have both QRW and QR versions. The QR is the one with the fair size stud that goes into the base. I have several of these and find them very reliable. But, the bases are higher than the weaver base types. They can partially block vision of the iron sights on a rifle.

I have purposely mounted and dismounted QR mounted scopes at the range 10 times and then fired into an existing group. I've never experienced a shift in POI of more than 1/2 inch, maybe. It's a solid system.

I use the QRW's with steel bases only and never had any problems with them either.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Leo,

The QRW system has worked very well for me. I have used it on my 375 H&H now on several hunts and fired a couple hundred rounds with the QRW system attached. No problems at all and repeatability has been great. I don't recommend the use of Weaver bases though. Stick with the steel Leupold bases.

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The QR's work real well but there is no way to turn the small levers with your fingers. They lock up real tight and hold zero on my 375 H&H Ruger #1. I really like the Warne quick detach rings just incase you haven't looked at them. I needed a base for a tactical rifle that was .020 thicker than standard and they custom milled one for me no charge. Hard to beat that for customer service.

Posts: 263 | Location: Where ever Bush sends me | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1. Leupold QRW rings can scratch your scope tube since they do not split 50-50.

2. On a .458, Leupold bases for the QRW rings squished under recoil. Leupold replaced them. I use QR rings and bases on that rifle now.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote